Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

A/C not as cold as it was earlier

Old 07-31-2014, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C not as cold as it was earlier

I have 2014 Q5 TDI (bought in May). I keep my internal temperature setting at 72, at that setting AC was working as it was supposed too. Last two days, I feel the air coming out is warmer than before, I need to change the setting to 69 or 70. Anything I should check myself or go to the dealer?
Old 07-31-2014, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can obtain the same temperature coming out of the vent as before by lowering the temperature setting, that would indicate that the air conditioning system itself is working properly (condenser, evaporator, compressor, etc). I don't drive the Q5 on a daily basis so I can't confirm, but on previous Audis, as well as my S6, the ECU will adjust the output of the system based on sunlight. Sorry I can't give you a good answer, but food for thought....
Old 07-31-2014, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a background in HVAC I think I might know what's up.

Assuming you still live in NJ, the weather has cooled down significantly these last two days; low humidity and lower temperatures. What we usually have in packaged AC rooftop units for buildings is a setting called economizer mode. During the transition between summer and winter, we come across moderately comfortable days like today. During these days the compressor does not come on because the air does not need to be conditioned. When we don't run the compressor we save energy.

This might be the reason why you are feeling a warmer temperature discharging. The car might not have the compressor running at 72 degrees, but when you drop it down to 69 degrees the compressor will kick on and provide a cooler temperature.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Alex8990
I have a background in HVAC I think I might know what's up.

Assuming you still live in NJ, the weather has cooled down significantly these last two days; low humidity and lower temperatures. What we usually have in packaged AC rooftop units for buildings is a setting called economizer mode. During the transition between summer and winter, we come across moderately comfortable days like today. During these days the compressor does not come on because the air does not need to be conditioned. When we don't run the compressor we save energy.

This might be the reason why you are feeling a warmer temperature discharging. The car might not have the compressor running at 72 degrees, but when you drop it down to 69 degrees the compressor will kick on and provide a cooler temperature.
thank you for clearing my doubts
Old 08-01-2014, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

" I feel the air coming out is warmer than before,"
But you don't know, objectively. A $10 digital "stick" thermometer or kitchen thermometer can be stuck in the vent to measure the temperature of the air coming out. That's still going to vary with the AC mode, with the ambient temperature and humidity, but it gives you something to compare against.
Since the car is new and under warranty, simplest to take it to a dealer and let them check. Usually a "real" AC check is done with ambient temperature AND humidity measured and compared to a chart showing what the air coming out of the system should be. (And for $10 you can buy a temp & humidity display gizmo at WalMart or online, although the shop may use a sling psychrometer instead.)

Sometimes AC just feels wrong because someone bumped a mode button, or the humidity has changed, or the sun in shining.(G)