Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Headliner Rattle Fix

Old 10-08-2018, 02:31 PM
eus
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Headliner Rattle Fix

If you have these symptoms, I have a fix for you:

1) You hear a creaking or popping noise above your head when your car goes over bumps, or when entering / exiting driveways
2) Does not happen if it is a hot day (80F+) outside and your car has been parked in the sun
3) These noises still happen if your sunroof is open

This is not a fix for the sunroof rattle. I thought I had that issue, but finally found the cause to be the headliner, and not the sunroof. I am out of warranty, so taking it into the dealer is not an option. It is a fairly ugly hack, but my car is dead quiet now!

First step is to cut strips of card stock. I used some marketing postcards that were sent to me (Bed Bath & Beyond card work great, I had something a little thicker). Cut several strips (7cm long, 1cm wide) out. You will then need to shove the strips between the plastic roof and the metal rim of the headliner, for me, I needed to put 3 strips thick in between that metal rim to keep it from wiggling. Slide the strips in one at a time, and stack until tight. These strips of card stock act as a wedge to keep the metal rim of the headliner rubbing and rattling against the plastic part of the roof. Repeat this process for the length of the front part of the headliner. Cover the strips with electrical tape to keep the card stock from coming loose, and to make this less ugly.

I know it's a relatively unorthodox / ugly / amateurish hack, but the silence is golden. That rattle was driving me insane.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Eus,

Thanks for post.
I have same problem.
Do you maybe have some more pictures, so we can recognize where to put the cards?
Old 10-11-2018, 08:07 AM
eus
AudiWorld Member

I've taken a picture of one of the sections, under the electrical tape. Put the strips on the plastic roof part, next to the metal rim, and slide them under the metal rim. You just need to fill the gap until tight so the two components stop moving and stop rubbing against each other directly. I had about a 1-2mm gap, once it was stuffed, the noises stopped.

I'm surprised that Audi used such different materials right next to each other with no (or insufficient) padding in between. Plastic and Metal will expand and contract at different rates, which is why I have this rattle/creaking when it is below 80F.

Hope this picture helps:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Now is much clear , thank you vm. I hope that will solve the problem. During weekend I will try to fix it, and inform you abot the results.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Rattle fixed

I have done as you described in your post, now everythig is quiet as before. Thanks a lot!!!
Old 10-17-2018, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is this located? at the front of the moof roof opening? Hard to tell from the closeups.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:45 AM
eus
AudiWorld Member

Correct, at the front of the moon roof opening. It is the area right above your head when you are driving. To give you a frame of reference, the wind deflector is the mesh fabric at the top left corner of the second picture. I had to do several strips along the entire front of the moonroof opening.