Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Help me identify this loud noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Help me identify this loud noise

Hello,

I need help folks, a few days ago my Q5 started to make this very weird and loud noise when I get out of my underground garage, as you’ll hear towards the end of the video it happens when I’m driving out of the building via a quite steep ramp.
It’s very weird because it only happens in the morning when I first use the car after being parked overnight, it also happens when I stop and resume driving in the middle of the ramp, if I don’t stop it doesn’t happen.
The car does not lose traction, there are no rattling, no vibrations, no shudder, I don’t feel anything weird in the gas pedal not the brake pedal, it happens however when I release the brake after stopping in the middle of the ramp. It doesn’t happen on the level surface of the parking garage either.
The car drives fine, it shifts smooth and silently, it’s a 7 speed STRONIC gearbox properly serviced 20K miles ago. I scanned the car several times these days with VAGcom and there are no errors at all.

I’m a bit lost here since this sound it’s new to me and it’s quiye annoying!

Thanks in advance for your help.

BTW, not using hold assist brakes, just normal braking.

LINK TO THE VIDEO: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxbtfeb97n...NOISE.MOV?dl=0
Old 05-04-2019, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The loud noise is the one you can hear at 00:21s to the end of the video, you can't just not hear it, it's so loud and annoying!
Old 05-04-2019, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

uncleiggy if it was mine I'd have all 4 wheels removed and the brakes inspected.This sort of sounds like a small rock trapped between the dust shield and the disc.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
uncleiggy if it was mine I'd have all 4 wheels removed and the brakes inspected.This sort of sounds like a small rock trapped between the dust shield and the disc.
Thanks! I’ll take the car for a service in 2 weeks and I’ll let them know about this advice.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think I found the source of this weird noise, not 100% sure still, but I had a loose sway bar end link, by loose I mean no bolt and hanging from the sway bar, not connected to the shock, this was causing a "clunk" when going over bumps or uneven surfaces at low speeds. Well, took it to the shop, they re-connected the loose sway bar end link, re-torqued everything and guess what? It's been 2 days and this noise seems to be gone, I guess that the incline and vibrations from the engine/transmission made the end link contact another metal surface which amplified the noise frequency, I wasn't the sharpest at physics though, this is just a guess, but as I didn't change anything else in my car I made the connection between the suspension work and the noise.

Sway bar end link loose:
Old 05-24-2019, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

You can see the damage the loose sway bar did on the what i believe a control arm in your picture.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
You can see the damage the loose sway bar did on the what i believe a control arm in your picture.

Yeah, seen that, I had plans to revamp the front suspension later this year, this will hurry up things I guess.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Glad to hear your issue was easily resolved.How many Kms. on your Q ? Unusual for that bolt/nut assembly to come loose.Anyone have reason to have worked in this area for something else ?
Old 05-24-2019, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Glad to hear your issue was easily resolved.How many Kms. on your Q ? Unusual for that bolt/nut assembly to come loose.Anyone have reason to have worked in this area for something else ?
My Indy shop installed a Bilstein B12 Pro Kit for me back in February, it seems like they missed to properly adjust that end link, they couldn’t believe what happened and were extremely sorry. Mine is a 2009 with 102.000km, it’s in pretty good shape despite all the fixes it’s got over its life.