Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Help with Q5 front brakes with Brembo calipers and 320mm rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Q5 front brakes with Brembo calipers and 320mm rotors

I feel like I did due diligence looking at other threads before posting this. I know that is frustrating for members. I’ve had trouble finding a brake solution for my wife’s Q5, because of her front rotor and caliper combination. It seems that most places don’t have a front brake option. Like others, her brakes have far too much pedal travel, and no bite. I've driven other Q5s, and my wife's brakes are horrible compared to them. Like others, the dealer has spent weeks checking it, and tells me everything is in spec. and feels like other Q5s. Interestingly, they congratulated us on making it to 63K miles on the original pads and rotors, which irritated me more than anything. I guess I would take brakes that work and wear to brakes that don't work and last forever. Even at this point, there is no lip forming on the rotor. Like others, the dealership suggested a costly rotor and brake replacement to see if it helps, which doesn't make sense to me. The car is out of warranty now, and I would like to look at a better solution for the brakes. When looking for solutions, it seems like there aren't many options for our specific brake combination.

My wife drives a 2014 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus. Her VIN is WA1LFAFP3EA091072. I used Online VAG spare parts catalogue: Volkswagen, Audi, Skoda, Seat, VAG VIN decoder, etka online to decode the VIN. The decoded VIN is below. From the decoding, the PR codes for the front brakes is 1LB. The rear is 2EK. From looking at the car, we have Brembo calipers and 320mm rotors. The resellers have options for Brembo calipers with 345mm rotors, but not for our 320mm rotors. Using realoem.me, it looks like my front pads have a base number of 8R0698151. Unfortunately, there are many versions of the pad. I’m not completely sure which one goes to our car. It seems like 8R0698151D is what they are pushing me to buy. The back brakes seem to be less of a mystery.

I looked at the EBC 2016 catalog online. It - like others - seems to assume that a 2.0 Turbo with Brembo calipers has a 345mm rotor. Bottom line, I need some help. I can’t believe that there isn’t a combination that will work for our car. I’ve heard good things about Green-, Red-, and Yellowstuff pads. I’m also interested in a good rotor. I'm curios if others have figured out a solution, and how to know what pad and rotor sizes to use. I recently saw some discussion on here about upgrading to 345mm front rotors by changing out some carrier hardware, but I admit that I just started looking into that possibility.

Result for VIN: WA1LFAFP3EA091072

VIN WA1LFAFP3EA091072
Manufacturer
Model Audi Q5 qu. 2.0AQ5
Manufactured date 17.02.2014
Model year 2014
VIN WA1LFAFP3EA091072
Manufacturer
Model Audi Q5 qu. 2.0AQ5
Manufactured date 17.02.2014
Model year 2014
Carpet color code
Axle drive 8A
Roof color 1R
Seat combination no.
Sales type 8RB52A
Engine Code CPMB
Exterior color / Paint Code 1R / Z7L
Year 2014
Equipment FZ
Number of Z-Orders
Transmission Code PRW
Date of production 17.02.2014
Model code Audi Q5 qu. 2.0AQ5
PR codes 0G7 AQ0 A00 VJ4 N1F 8WB 1A4 J1N 1Z6 4X3 QQ1 8X0 6SN FC0 EA0 E0A 5J1 A8U 2D0 K4H 3F1 HX2 B34 1AT VC2 9AQ 7F9 0Y4 1S1 QZ7 1BA 5RW 8Q3 0YE 3G0 5K4 4I3 7G0 3FU 5C1 6E3 4A3 U1B FM0 5SG 3X0 5KA 7X0 3GD 7GB 6V2 8Z6 2EK 7P7 6F0 5D2 1D8 1LB GP2 L0L 3Y0 0JE 7Y0 7HA 6FA GH1 6NJ 6W3 3Q1 0K0 7Q0 0C0 1E4 8K4 C00 7QA 7A3 4KF 0SS 8SL 2P2 8T1 2H0 WPS QE1 AV1 A51 4L7 7AJ VG6 0LB 9VD 6XL 3S1 0U7 CB5 7JL QF0 G1G TL6 4UB 7K6 FQ0 9WC 9G3 NY2 UF7 4E9 1X1 KK1 3CA B0A 8UQ FA0 F0A 8EH 3L4 9P5 8N6 1PA 7L7 5XF 0NA KT0 0VM 2ZQ 0W2 0FA 7TL QH0 3M3 7M1 UH1 9Q7 D60
Transmission types/gearshift mechanisms 0G7 tiptronic
Quality class AQ0 Standard-production quality
Self-collection / special control A00 No self-collection
Bumper systems VJ4 bumper reinforced
seat covers N1F Seat trim covers in leather, G-grainpattern/leatherette, B-grain pattern
Front fog lamp/additional headlamp 8WB Front fog lamps
Fuel systems 1A4 Fuel system Multi Fuel
batteries J1N Battery 420 A (75 Ah)
Fuel quantity for initial filling 1Z6 Increase in initial standard fuelfilling
Side airbag 4X3 Side airbag in front, with curtainairbag
Light package (lighting) QQ1 With additional lights (interiorlighting)
Headlamp washer system 8X0 Without headlamp washer system
Luggage compartment floor covering 6SN Luggage compartment protection insert
Customized installation FC0 Without individual installation
Follow-on warranty EA0 Without subsequent warranty
Special editions E0A Without special action equipment
Rear spoiler 5J1 Rear spoiler
Equipment levels A8U Executive US equipment
Cd enhancing underbody panel 2D0 Without cd enhancing underbody panel
Body style K4H Closed body
Spare wheel/breakdown kit 3F1 Collapsible spare tire
tire HX2 All-weather tires 235/60 R18 103H (NAR)
Type approval countries/countries withspecial requirements B34 Legal requirements USA
Brake systems 1AT Electronic stability control (ESC)
Garage door opener VC2 Garage door opener
Heating and air-conditioning system 9AQ Air conditioning plus
Gearshift ****/handle 7F9 Gearshift ****/handle in plastic/leather
Climatic zones 0Y4 Cold and tropical climatic zones (US)
vehicle tools and jack 1S1 vehicle tools and jack
steering QZ7 Power steering
Shock absorption/suspension, chassis 1BA Federung/Daempfung, standard
Right exterior mirror 5RW Right exterior mirror, convex (US)large viewing field
Headlight range control 8Q3 Dynamic headlight range control(self-adjusting while driving)
Weight category rear axle 0YE Weight range 5installation control only, norequirement forecast
Child seat anchors in front 3G0 Without child seat anchora in front(ISOFIX)
Paint preservative/transit coating 5K4 Full body cover (shape-adapted system)with additional transport protectionmeasures
Door and lid locking system 4I3 Central locking system Keyless Entrywithout SAFELOCK
Vehicle tracing system 7G0 Without preparation for VTS (Vehicle Tracing System)
Roof insert/convertible top 3FU Big roof system
Body measures 5C1 Body measures for increased safetyrequirements
Center armrest 6E3 Front center armrest
seat heater 4A3 seat heating for front seats separat controlable
Instrument clusters U1B Instrument cluster with mphspeedometer, clock, tachometer and tripodometer
Versions FM0 Basic equipment variant
Left exterior mirror 5SG Left exterior mirror, flat
Load-through hatch/ski bag 3X0 without load through system
Rear seats 5KA Three rear seats
Park distance control 7X0 Without park distance control
Rear cargo area 3GD Plane rear cargo area
Emission standard 7GB Emission standard ULEV 2
Rear trim panel 6V2 Rear trim panel
Engine cooling 8Z6 Hot country
Brake type in rear 2EK Disc brakes in rear
Lumbar support 7P7 Power-adjustable lumbar support forleft front seat
Old 02-18-2018, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Basic question to go back to the symptoms rather than the fitment: have you had the brake system bled in general recently? Typically for pedal feel, that gives me the single biggest benefit. If more than a year or so since last bleed (let alone many), I usually can feel the difference.

I can't offer a direct answer on your search. I do know that with brake catalogs including EBC, any time it is a "new" fitment it can take quite a few years to get into the catalogs. Some has to do with lethargic catalog updating, some is as simple as little market for aftermarket fitments until they start to wear out some years after intro. If yours has the Brembo calipers in a 2.0T and thus the 320mm rotors in front, I could see how with a 2016 catalog relative to about 2014 when the change was made IIRC, the listing wasn't in there yet. It doesn't mean they don't make it already, but it takes a while to get in catalog. More specifically, I have seen it take 4 or 5 years after a new model to get in. On my D4 S8 first sold in 2013 in USA, it wasn't until about 2017 the part #'s became known. On D3 A8 W12 and S8, same basic scenario. Another way I sometimes find it is to identify another vehicle with the same fitment and search for that. On a Q5 2.0t, that would be an A5 or A4 with same motor as the obvious one. If you backtrack to the dealer part number for the Q5 pads and then cross over to the other model, if the part number still matches then you know that vehicle is equivalent. For example, if it says 2014 A5 2.0T is the same, now you can check those catalog listings too. I have solved unknown several fitments that way.

On EBC's BTW, if you want more initial bite, you aren't going to want Yellows. A more aggressive pad that needs some warm up ideally. Red would be more likely.

FWIW, in general OE is typically a good choice. Reducing dust is the major reason most wander from those, which in turn leads to some of the better ceramics like EBC reds. Yours may variously need bleeding, be glazed over, could use some brake grease on the moving points, etc. where a brake job in general will help. If you order by VIN from an online dealer like audiusaparts, you will get the right fitment and at a reduced price compared to dealer retail at the local parts counter.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-18-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't driven my wife's car for some time. When I stepped on the brakes the first time I thought, "She has air in her lines, or something is wrong in the lines." Well actually, my first first thought was, "Wow. Holy...." I fully expected the service dept to tell me there was air in the line, problem with lines, something in the master cylinder, maybe the pads. The last thing I expected was we checked everything, and it is normal. I also gave up trying to beat OEM brakes a long time ago. However, in this case, the dealer is telling me that the brakes are within spec and normal. So, the OEM solution isn't working. I even thought about trading the car,rather then mess with trying to find a brake solution.I haven't bleed the brakes. It has been some time, but I believe the dealer did check the lines. They checked pressure, travel, wear, etc. I have read about others on here who had luck with bleeding the brakes. I've also read about changing fluid and lines.

I heard back from EBC directly today. They recommended the following:

Front Rotors - USR1838
Front pads - DP32168C
Rear rotors - USR1535
Rear pads - DP31988C

Those are RedStuff pads paired with our USR slotted rotors. I think that and some hardware from autozone is the direction I'm going to go.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

I also have a 2014 Q5 and my OEM brakes have great initial bite, stop great, easy to modulate, little pedal travel and feel firm. The are also almost dust free, least amount of dust I have ever seen and I use ceramic pads on all my previous vehicles.

Now the last time that I looked the Audi/VW approved parts suppliers listing, there were 8 approved brake pad suppliers. What this means is that these 8 all supply brake pads that meet Audi's performance spec, but they can all be made from
slightly different materials and compounds which act differently during braking. My chances of now getting the same brake pad material at the dealer as the current brakes pads that are on my Q5 is very slim.