AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   Help... threw a code (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/help-threw-code-2951016/)

Gilly44 06-07-2018 07:07 PM

Help... threw a code

P219E code on my Wifes 2010 Q5 3.2L

Anyone have any info or advice?

Redd 06-08-2018 11:37 AM

Search on "Audi code p219E" and you'll quickly find that's a generic code for a bad mixture on cylinder #3. VCDS might get you more information.

Gilly44 06-18-2018 03:20 PM

Thanks man :rolleyes: . But literally the first thing I did was search that and found nothing. An air/fuel balance issue on cylinder #3. Which idk but Im assuming a clogged, broken or leaking injector? Does anyone have any insight or experience with this is why im asking.

Redd 06-19-2018 10:19 AM

Unless Audi has been uniquely clever, the only way that the ECU can measure the mixture in a cylinder, is by examining the exhaust, particularly the oxygen level in the exhaust, from that cylinder. I'm not sure where the oxygen sensors are in the exhaust lines, or if they are using one per cylinder as opposed to somehow multiplexing them, but if you swap out that fuel injector (which is either difficult or trivial depending on your skills level) say, with the #1 cylinder, clear the error code, and then wait to see which recurs.

If the error codes moves with the injector, the injector is faulty. If it stays on the same cylinder, then very possibly the oxygen sensor in the exhaust is faulty. Oxygen sensors can be contaminated, but tend to fail after 60-100k miles in any case.

With a 2010 car of unknown mileage and condition, it could be either.

You can also pull the injector and examine the spray. Depending on access, that used to be done by extending it (with a bit of hose) to a point where it can be placed in a thin jar, like an olive jar. Then running the fuel pump and observing the spray pattern to see if it is clean and even. These days...not so simple, more likely you'd have to pull the injectors and send them out for cleaning and balancing. (Replacement isn't always necessary.) Which might not be a bad idea if the car has 100k miles anyway. Plenty of diesel shops work with injectors, for less than what Audi charges for lunch.

Gilly44 06-19-2018 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Redd (Post 25168382)
Unless Audi has been uniquely clever, the only way that the ECU can measure the mixture in a cylinder, is by examining the exhaust, particularly the oxygen level in the exhaust, from that cylinder. I'm not sure where the oxygen sensors are in the exhaust lines, or if they are using one per cylinder as opposed to somehow multiplexing them, but if you swap out that fuel injector (which is either difficult or trivial depending on your skills level) say, with the #1 cylinder, clear the error code, and then wait to see which recurs.

If the error codes moves with the injector, the injector is faulty. If it stays on the same cylinder, then very possibly the oxygen sensor in the exhaust is faulty. Oxygen sensors can be contaminated, but tend to fail after 60-100k miles in any case.

With a 2010 car of unknown mileage and condition, it could be either.

You can also pull the injector and examine the spray. Depending on access, that used to be done by extending it (with a bit of hose) to a point where it can be placed in a thin jar, like an olive jar. Then running the fuel pump and observing the spray pattern to see if it is clean and even. These days...not so simple, more likely you'd have to pull the injectors and send them out for cleaning and balancing. (Replacement isn't always necessary.) Which might not be a bad idea if the car has 100k miles anyway. Plenty of diesel shops work with injectors, for less than what Audi charges for lunch.

Thank you very much! 2010 with 104K miles on it. I will try moving around the injector. Thx again

MurrayA4 06-19-2018 03:31 PM

The way they monitor the specific cylinder activity is through the crank sensor.It's possible to pin down the performance of an individual cylinder this way,misfires, rich and lean etc.It's pretty brilliant actually..

Bob Petruska 06-19-2018 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by MurrayA4 (Post 25168553)
The way they monitor the specific cylinder activity is through the crank sensor.It's possible to pin down the performance of an individual cylinder this way,misfires, rich and lean etc.It's pretty brilliant actually..

I may be wrong on this, but id can't see any way that an engine ECU can determine an "individual" cylinder rich/lean condition unless there is an O2 sensor at each cylinder exhaust port which the Audi engine does not have.

There is only 1, O2 sensor before the CAT that is used to adjust "all" cylinders for a rich/lean conditions.

MurrayA4 06-19-2018 04:32 PM

Bob the ecu knows by the degrees of crank rotation which cylinder is firing and can measure the results on the O2 sensor.It's almost magical.Same with misfire situations, they measure the rate of crankshaft acceleration and can pick up a problem with spark or fuel on that side.

Bob Petruska 06-19-2018 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by MurrayA4 (Post 25168582)
Bob the ecu knows by the degrees of crank rotation which cylinder is firing and can measure the results on the O2 sensor.It's almost magical.Same with misfire situations, they measure the rate of crankshaft acceleration and can pick up a problem with spark or fuel on that side.

Well, again I could be wrong, but the exhaust system from the exhaust ports to the front CAT O2 sensor is a turbulent mixture of all the cylinders' exhaust gases that doesn't seem to lend to isolate the exhaust gas from one individual cylinder.

I just scanned all my AUDI/VW, Lambda, training guides and no where do they say that you can sample the RICH/LEAN mixture from one individual cylinder. They only indicate that you came sample the RICH/LEAN mixture of Bank 1 or 2 with 6 & 8 cylinder engines as they have 2 front O2 sensors. Also I can't find anywhere, where VCDS could read an individual cylinder mixture in the measuring blocks.

Barraged 06-24-2018 06:41 AM

U guys have the best listings

[QUOTE=Bob Petruska;25168632]Well, again I could be wrong, but the exhaust system from the exhaust ports to the front CAT O2 sensor is a turbulent mixture of all the cylinders' exhaust gases that doesn't seem to lend to isolate the exhaust gas from one individual cylinder.

I just scanned all my AUDI/VW, Lambda, training guides and no where do they say that you can sample the RICH/LEAN mixture from one individual cylinder. They only indicate that you came sample the RICH/LEAN mixture of Bank 1 or 2 with 6 & 8 cylinder engines as they have 2 front O2 sensors. Also I can't find anywhere, where VCDS could read an individual cylinder mixture in the measuring blocks.[/QUOTE

Even though I don’t have these specific problems I enjoy reading your discussions, some much information...