Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Here are a few tips on Q5 front brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice Job

I'm not a DIYer at all, but I think HBDWT deserves a nice round of applause (Clap, Clap, Clap) for sharing his experience with the rest of us. This kind of infosharing is what makes this forum so valuable.

Most impressive.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lmariorod
Nice post. Question...did you need to replace them at 34K? Seems like the pads resting on the paint can still have a lot of meat on them???
Nah...those pads only have about 5K on them. I changed my pads to Hawk Ceramic at about 7.5K miles...I was OVER the dusting. When I bought new tires at around 25K the NITWIT installer ran the lug bolts up so tight that it distorted the front rotors and the car developed shudder about 5K later. So I made them clean up the rotors and I then installed Hawk HPS because they provided MUCH more braking power than the Ceramic pads. The HPS do throw a little more dust but not nearly as much as the OEM.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cabo de Hornos
This kind of infosharing is what makes this forum so valuable.
This is a small payback for all that I have learned here. Amazing forum this is...many more givers than takers. That's a rarity.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:57 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel

Back brake pistons are only retracted electronically with Vag-Com. Works perfectly with Vag-Com...without, you're stuck.
Are you 100% positive about this?
I've heard conflicting stories. Some say it's possible to manually retract and no damage will occur.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant
Are you 100% positive about this?
I've heard conflicting stories. Some say it's possible to manually retract and no damage will occur.
Yes, they cannot be pushed into the caliper...I tried before I found out that VagCom was needed. When you apply/release the parking brake the sound you hear is the electronic servo moving the piston in and out of the caliper. When you use VagCom to retract the pistons you will hear the same sound but for about 8 seconds as opposed to 1 second when releasing the brake.

Last edited by HaveBullDogWillTravel; 12-28-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great write up!

As for the rears, do u need the VagCom hooked up or is there a menu option you can enable?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:09 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
Yes, they cannot be pushed into the caliper...I tried before I found out that VagCom was needed. When you apply/release the parking brake the sound you hear is the electronic servo moving the piston in and out of the caliper. When you use VagCom to retract the pistons you will hear the same sound but for about 8 seconds as opposed to 1 second when releasing the brake.
Great ...this saves me the headache of trying to change them without a VAGCOM handy.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dtmurf
Great write up!

As for the rears, do u need the VagCom hooked up or is there a menu option you can enable?
No option 'cept VC...sorry.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

I know this is an old thread, but I'm getting ready to do this.

First, does anyone have the torque specs, specifically for the caliper mounting bolts? I know this DIY doesn't use a torque wrench, but I'm not thrilled with the idea of going without on a brake job. While I haven't tried yet, you should be able to get the wrench in from below (ie. the OP may have needed to jack his car higher) unless for some reason there's something down there blocking the steering knuckle.

It also looks like I'll be ordering a VAG-COM for the rear brakes. Sucks I can't retract the piston with a C-clamp like I can the front.

Lastly, I always remove the rotor retaining screw on my cars, as they always get rounded out. If it bothers you when working on the car, just take a lug or two and put them back in to keep the rotor in place.

I do like the anti-seize suggestion, and always do that as well. I've spent more than enough time striking wheels with dead-blow mallets on vehicles where no anti-seize was used between the rotor hat and the wheel.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good post. What, no hammer in the tool selection?!

I swapped my pads out when the car was only a few weeks old in favor of the dustless variety and didn't need to retract the rear pistons. But once the pads start to wear, VAGCOM to the rescue!

I'm at 76,000 miles and the pads are nearing end of life but the rotors hardly even have a ridge. Centric Posi Dustless pad are very, very friendly to rotors!

Last edited by ELEVENS; 06-27-2013 at 09:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Here are a few tips on Q5 front brakes...