Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Looking for opinions, and I know you have them

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for opinions, and I know you have them

Going to get a Q5. We are down sizing from a Lexus GX 470. We just don't need that size anymore.

I understand the 15's are $1,600 more than the leftover 14's and there isn't any real difference between the two model years.

I am leaning toward the 2.0. We will not be using it as a race car and my wife will mainly be driving it around town and on a few trips. Your thoughts on the 2.0 vs. 3.0.

Thanks
Steve
Old 07-31-2014, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on your needs as you've described them, get the 2.0 and option it the way you want it. It may be more money than you want to spend, but consider driving the TDI before you buy, for comparison purposes if nothing else.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

We recently went through the same down sizing on my wife's DD. We went from an X5 to a Q5 TDI. Really can't beat the mileage and the low end torque! And depending where you are, during the summer months diesel tends to be cheaper than premium. In San Francisco, diesel is cheaper by $0.20/gallon.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

The base (Premium) 2015 Q5 has more standard equipment than the 2014. Be cautious with your comparisons, Red...
Old 07-31-2014, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 TDI
Based on your needs as you've described them, get the 2.0 and option it the way you want it.
+1
Old 07-31-2014, 05:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

the base 2015 q5 2.0 comes with HID xenon lights now, but it went up in price.

in terms of 2.0 vs 3.0, the 3.0 has noticeable more power when the throttle is moderately pressed, the 2.0 has no headroom and felt underwhelming to me

the other big difference is how much better the braking feels on the 3.0 (larger brakes)

if you look at the price difference between the 3.0T p+ and 2.0T p+, it's about 3k. not bad...

all the dealers around me install a bunch of fluff to jack up the price, cargo net, wheel locks, first aid kit blah blah

if you find a 2014, I was able to negotiate 6.5% off msrp and free audi care
Old 08-01-2014, 02:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zeebow
the 2.0 has no headroom and felt underwhelming to me
I don't understand what the size of the engine has to do with the headroom.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Newredbox
lol. I see how that statement is confusing

meaning the 2.0T feels like it's maxed out and working hard to move 4300 lbs.

when I floored it, it felt like it was standing still.

as opposed to the 3.0T, it actually had decent acceleration when pushed

just go drive them and see what you like

I personally thought the 3.0T was much more engaging to drive, and the better performance in braking was worth it alone

the 2.0T felt like the brakes were worn out relative to the 3.0T

Last edited by zeebow; 08-01-2014 at 03:21 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Newredbox
"Headroom" with respect to engines means extra power that you can tap into if you want/need to. If an engine has "no headroom" then you're wringing everything you can out of it, and you won't get anything more.

A number of people do feel that the 2.0T has no/little headroom, but at least on my quick test drive of one I thought it seemed perfectly reasonable. Yes, it's the slowest engine and will run out of steam sooner as it's also the smallest, but if you don't need any additional headroom "just in case", then it should be fine. On the other hand I had issues on my 1.8T Passat with it getting rather sluggish over time, and I would be concerned about that on the 2.0T Q5 as well: the power is sufficient now, but what about down the line if you expect to keep it for a really long time?

The 3.0T or TDI engines would have a lot more headroom so if some of the power gets eaten up by various things over time, you'll still have more than enough to be getting you around without potentially feeling like you're "fighting" the engine. They'll also have available power for those times when you might need to pull out quickly into traffic and you want to make absolutely sure you can get out of everyone else's way.

But it all comes down to how you guys will be driving, how long you plan on keeping it, and what your budget's like. If you don't care about "going fast", the TDI is probably the best overall engine (power, performance, fuel consumption), but it's a few thousand more than the 3.0T so can get pricey. The 2.0T's a good base engine, though, and there's a number of happy 2.0T owners around. The 3.0T will have more headroom but will take more fuel to run, which some people might not like (either the fuel costs themselves or just having to pull into stations a little more often).
Old 08-01-2014, 06:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by idale
"Headroom" with respect to engines means extra power that you can tap into if you want/need to. If an engine has "no headroom" then you're wringing everything you can out of it, and you won't get anything more.

A number of people do feel that the 2.0T has no/little headroom, but at least on my quick test drive of one I thought it seemed perfectly reasonable. Yes, it's the slowest engine and will run out of steam sooner as it's also the smallest, but if you don't need any additional headroom "just in case", then it should be fine. On the other hand I had issues on my 1.8T Passat with it getting rather sluggish over time, and I would be concerned about that on the 2.0T Q5 as well: the power is sufficient now, but what about down the line if you expect to keep it for a really long time?

The 3.0T or TDI engines would have a lot more headroom so if some of the power gets eaten up by various things over time, you'll still have more than enough to be getting you around without potentially feeling like you're "fighting" the engine. They'll also have available power for those times when you might need to pull out quickly into traffic and you want to make absolutely sure you can get out of everyone else's way.

But it all comes down to how you guys will be driving, how long you plan on keeping it, and what your budget's like. If you don't care about "going fast", the TDI is probably the best overall engine (power, performance, fuel consumption), but it's a few thousand more than the 3.0T so can get pricey. The 2.0T's a good base engine, though, and there's a number of happy 2.0T owners around. The 3.0T will have more headroom but will take more fuel to run, which some people might not like (either the fuel costs themselves or just having to pull into stations a little more often).
agree.

the 3.0T (not sure about the TDI) stops 60-0 about 60 feet faster than the 2.0T as well

109 vs 171 feet, pretty significant

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions, and I know you have them