Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

How do you put Q5 on jack stands?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 02:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you put Q5 on jack stands?

I read through the forum, but still not sure how to put Q5 on jack stands. The guide on Q5/Q7 here somewhere is totally not valid for Q5.

My other car has front and rear jack points. I only need to jack up at the jack points and put jack stands under the pinch weld.
Q5 does not have jack points, besides the pinch welds near the 4 wheels. How can I put Q5 on jack stands?
Old 01-03-2019, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

This is how I do it...………..

Old 01-03-2019, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Guru-
About the same way as any other car. For instance, if you have a factory installed trailer hitch, that's a weldment on the rear bumper frame. So you can jack up the rear end BY THE RECEIVER and put a stand under that. I would think that an Audi, like most cars, can also be l lifted by placing a jack under the rear differential, since that is putting the weight on the drivetrain and rear axles/suspension. In my limited experience I've never heard that liftting a jar by the differential (or a front cross-frame member) hurt it.
With most cars there are points under suspension parts or chassis parts where you can also safely jack up a car, so you can put the jackstands under the pinch welds, with proper fittings. It is usually easier to stop by a shop that can lift the car in the air, so you can walk under and check around it, and perhaps pick their brains. And then sometimes even spray some dayglo paint at the points you want to use, making them easier to find again. (Ach, graffiti under an Audi! Barbaric!)
You can also find lift bags to use instead of jacks. These are mainly used in off-road vehicle recovery. Think of a heavy canvas and plastic bag, the size of a contractor's trash bag, with a hose attached to it. Some slip over your exhaust pipe and use the exhaust to inflate them, others allow for an electric tire pump, etc. You put the bag under the car, inflate, and it conforms to whatever is there and lifts it gently. Slower than a jack, yes, but it can be used almost anywhere.
Then of course there are ramps, you can use two or four and just "drive up" so the car is 6" higher off the ground. Some folks just buy a piece of 6x6 or 8x8 lumber, have it cut on a diagonal, and use it that way. If you just need access but the wheels can be on the ground, that's another good way to go.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
This is how I do it...………..

Thanks a ton for the picture!
The pinch weld is long enough for a thin jack (including factory scissor jack) and a jack stand. I'll see if my 3-ton floor jack works.

Originally Posted by Redd
Guru-
About the same way as any other car. For instance, if you have a factory installed trailer hitch, that's a weldment on the rear bumper frame. So you can jack up the rear end BY THE RECEIVER and put a stand under that. I would think that an Audi, like most cars, can also be l lifted by placing a jack under the rear differential, since that is putting the weight on the drivetrain and rear axles/suspension. In my limited experience I've never heard that liftting a jar by the differential (or a front cross-frame member) hurt it.
With most cars there are points under suspension parts or chassis parts where you can also safely jack up a car, so you can put the jackstands under the pinch welds, with proper fittings. It is usually easier to stop by a shop that can lift the car in the air, so you can walk under and check around it, and perhaps pick their brains. And then sometimes even spray some dayglo paint at the points you want to use, making them easier to find again. (Ach, graffiti under an Audi! Barbaric!)
You can also find lift bags to use instead of jacks. These are mainly used in off-road vehicle recovery. Think of a heavy canvas and plastic bag, the size of a contractor's trash bag, with a hose attached to it. Some slip over your exhaust pipe and use the exhaust to inflate them, others allow for an electric tire pump, etc. You put the bag under the car, inflate, and it conforms to whatever is there and lifts it gently. Slower than a jack, yes, but it can be used almost anywhere.
Then of course there are ramps, you can use two or four and just "drive up" so the car is 6" higher off the ground. Some folks just buy a piece of 6x6 or 8x8 lumber, have it cut on a diagonal, and use it that way. If you just need access but the wheels can be on the ground, that's another good way to go.
My previous cars all have front/rear jack points that are not the pinch welds. Our Audis seems to have a lot aluminum parts, I'm afraid that one small mishap is gonna cause big damages.
Now I know that it's actually possible to jack up and put it on jack stands at the pinch welds.

My purpose of jacking up the car is for basic maintenance, such as brakes, tire rotation, oil changes. I was serious looking into buying this:

Seems a good idea at reasonable cost, not sure if it actually works on Q5.

Last edited by visionguru; 01-03-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by visionguru
Thanks a ton for the picture!
The pinch weld is long enough for a thin jack (including factory scissor jack) and a jack stand. I'll see if my 3-ton floor jack works.

My previous cars all have front/rear jack points that are not the pinch welds. Our Audis seems to have a lot aluminum parts, I'm afraid that one small mishap is gonna cause big damages.
Now I know that it's actually possible to jack up and put it on jack stands at the pinch welds.

My purpose of jacking up the car is for basic maintenance, such as brakes, tire rotation, oil changes. I was serious looking into buying this:

Seems a good idea at reasonable cost, not sure if it actually works on Q5.
Depending upon the wheel size, you need about a 20 inch lift from the ground to the pinch weld for a jack or jack stand, to stretch the suspension, to lift the tires off the ground.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Yes that should work just fine.Whatever you do try and avoid using the "widowmaker" Audi factory jack, those things are evil and should only be used as a choice of last resort.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on Murray's comment!!

Jason
New York
Old 01-04-2019, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Murray, a long time ago I had a big fat Cutlass shimmy off the bumper jack and try to hug me. Ever since then...scissor jacks and bottle jacks for me. If Audi want to prove that half of a scissor jack is not necessary...let 'em send the genius who figured that out to practice with it.

I DO have both a metal and a hard rubber "hockey puck" jack adapter for the car. There's a slot in the middle of each so they supposedly can straddle the pinch weld at any point to allow other jacks to be used. I keep meaning to check out the exact fit, I may need to open up that slot a bit for our fat pinch welds. And yes, I'm aware the rubber one may burst (according to rumor) so I've taken the precaution of also wrapping that in strapping tape, just in case.

If I get REALLY bored one day, I'll go pull my spare scissor jacks out to see whether they'll straddle the pinch weld. And then try to figure out how to store one in the car. Maybe that rumored "second battery bay" in the left side of the cargo floor really exists, and can be accessed for that?
Old 01-04-2019, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Hey Redd being Canadian I use wood.I have a 4x4 chunk that I position between my jack and my pinch weld.Works wonderfully and after all we know what hockey pucks are intended to be used for.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you plan to lift the car for a lot of maintenance do yourself a favor and buy a quick jack for about 1500$. Lifts the car at all 4 pinch welds making it much easier and faster to get the car up, and safer!

Quick Reply: How do you put Q5 on jack stands?