Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

How do you put Q5 on jack stands?

Old 01-05-2019, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I just bought these on ebay. They have magnets to attach jack adapter to vehicle pinch weld. Then position jack under adapter and lift vehicle. I will report if they don't work as advertised.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I just bought these on ebay. They have magnets to attach jack adapter to vehicle pinch weld. Then position jack under adapter and lift vehicle. I will report if they don't work as advertised.

They should work nicely if the groove is deep enough for the weld.

I use the following adapter with my jack as I can remove the jack lift cup and insert this tool. The groove is deep enough for the Q5 pinch weld.

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-05-2019, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Floor Jack Saddle Adapter for Rocker Panel Pinch Weld by DP & Company
by DP & Company
3.8 out of 5 stars 63 reviews from Amazon.com
Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by waninae39
Floor Jack Saddle Adapter for Rocker Panel Pinch Weld by DP & Company
by DP & Company
3.8 out of 5 stars 63 reviews from Amazon.com
Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
States "in stock" when I click on my Amazon link.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Hey Redd being Canadian I use wood.I have a 4x4 chunk that I position between my jack and my pinch weld.Works wonderfully and after all we know what hockey pucks are intended to be used for.
Me too!
Old 01-15-2019, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Murray-
As Dolly Parton's character famously said in "9 to 5", "step on down off that cross girl, that's just a waste of good wood."
See here, four by fours are useful, while hockey pucks...they're cheaper, don't work well in the fireplace, and they stay dry in the rain.(G)

I think I tried one of the AutoFit, have to take another look on the car, the pinch weld is a bit chubby (ok, robust) for most of the commercial pinch weld products. Which seem like they'd be perfectly fine on tradtional riceburners, but in need of some relief to be used on Audi's.

Actually, I'm somewhat offended to find such a pisspoor jacking method (pinch welds? alignment by squint? really?) on our Q5's considering that Audi has used better systems (such as a "cigar" that not only ensures alignment, but allows the jack head to pivot and self-level under it) and even BMW has used "cups" to ensure that any kind of jack can be placed properly, even in the dark.

I know, the engineers wanted to give us something better, but the marketing department has the final say about everything, and they said "This will improve profits AND give them another reason to get rid of the old car and lease a new one!" and the rest is history.

Last edited by Redd; 01-15-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Yes the Audi "pinch weld" is robust but not ideal.The best system I've used, Alfas, Renault, Citroen, older Bimmers and Mercs had a tube accessed through or under the rocker panel and the jack had an arm that went into the tube.Very secure as long as the "tin worm" hadn't taken up residence.
By the way Redd, you do realize that burning wood produces Nox ? We diesel owners are very sensitive to that issue.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HamOnRye
Me too!
The challenge is not so much about protecting the pinch weld. I have a hockey puck that fits in the floor jack saddle perfectly, but it sits a little too low. I cut a piece of 2x4, even without a slot, it works perfectly and won't mar anything.
How do you place the jack stand(s)? I plan to change the brake fluid. The front calipers seem accessible without taking the wheels off. The rear wheels have to be off. Still not sure a safe and efficient way.