Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

How is the oil consumption testing done?

Old 01-06-2019, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is the oil consumption testing done?

Hello,

This concerns an Audi A5 Sportback 1.8 TFSI with the CJEB engine. I recently took the car for a test, and I am not sure if any procedures are being done correctly. Here's what I have posted about this:

The engine oil consumption test, will cost me about €200. However, it did not go the way "I was thinking it would", i.e. in my mind, it was that they would drain the oil completely, measure an accurate amount and fill it back in, and then test the residual after 1000 kms. I.e. old-school measure-the-material.

However, all they did was do some digital measurement, apparently, this car has that feature, i.e. it is not the digital display on the dashboard, but some OBD-based testing. When the oil level was low, I did put in about ½ a litre (I guess it is the same as ½ a quart). They just topped it by another 120 ml or so, and the service paper now says it has 0,67 mm.

Is anybody aware/ can anybody please reassure me of this procedure? Is it going correct? What does all this (e.g. 0,67 mm) mean? (PS. I would have assumed that the display would be getting the same information from the OBD based system as well, is it not so)?

The other thing they mention is that IF the oil consumption is higher than the "standard", then they would either do a) or b). Now Finnish being the language here, I am not sure I understood accurately, did they mean change the piston? Or merely the piston rings? I thought the two were inter-twined. Option b) I did not even understand. Any ideas?

Could I request some help on this please?

Thanks again!

Kind regards.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Cheers from Canada nb.a.You owe us a cup by the way ! Onnittelut.My understanding of the procedure here in N.A for the 2.0L is that if they determine that consumption is excessive, they change out the Pcv valve.If that fails to address the issue then it's new pistons & rings.Hopefully it's the same in Finland and for the 1.8L
Old 01-09-2019, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you MurrayA4! We owe you a cup as in with Ice-Hockey?

Appreciate the input. OK understood. But is there a process that they *should* follow for testing the oil consumption? Is the method they used that I described below correct please?

Any idea?

Kind regards.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you complain about your vehicle engine excessive oil consumption, dealer tech will first inspects your vehicle engine. Any engine modification or oil leak must be repaired first. If your vehicle is out of factory warranty, you pay for the repair. After that, depend on your Q5 2.0L engine model year, they will do one or more following services: update engine control module software, replace crankcase pressure regulating valve, replace crankshaft front seal and bolt then they start engine oil consumption measurement. They will do it twice. Second measurement will be done after you have your vehicle driven for at least 600 miles following first measurement or before that if the low oil level warning light is on. Depending on your vehicle, the measurement method will be either weighting engine oil or using engine oil level sensor. Factory computer then calculates oil consumption rate. Using that information, Audi will tell you the consumption rate is normal or excessive. If it is excessive, they normally recommend replacing engine pistons. Who is going to pay for the service and engine piston replacement? THat is a question you need to work it out with your local dealer and Audi.