Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

how are you handling the takata airbag recall?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how are you handling the takata airbag recall?

I have a 2012 q5, and we received a recall notice a couple months ago. Of course, there is no time table on the recall fix. Today, the dealer called me asking if I was interested in trading in, as there is an incentive on the new cars to give 2k incentive (on top of trade in value) for folks like me trading in a car with the affected model with recall. (He also said they are not allowed to sell any cars impacted with the recall and they are storing them in a warehouse until they can be repaired).

For those who have received the recall notice, what are you doing?
Trading or selling the car? Or just keeping it and taking the risk?

I live in PA so we dont really see temperatures go above 95 often.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2016, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

A dealer's trade-in value is always part of a game, it means nothing.

If you have a CarMax around, get their purchase offer for your car. That's what it is worth, cash in hand. It may be 15% more than what the dealer claims, oddly enough. (Of course, a dealer's trade-in offer is artificially low "because you'll save the sales tax on that amount".)

Check out a couple of online sites if you'd rather get an estimate that way, as a reality check. And of course, trading in or selling is easier than doing a private sale, even if a private sale would get you more. If a private buyer asks about air bags, you have to tell them. And if there's a "Takata might take forever if they don't go broke first" recall on your car, who knows what they will do to the resale price.

You need some firm numbers to see if it is worth getting rid of the car, one way or the other. As well as affirm number on what a new Audi would cost you, IF another Audi would be your choice.

It is leftovers, clearance, and Summer of Audi Sale time as well. Get some numbers.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine's a 2012 Q5. 61K miles. It's been a good one with no problems. It's paid. I still like it. Same recall zone as you.

I don't feel the risk about driving it.. yet. But I'm not wild about waiting on someone, some day.. to fix it. I just started looking at numbers for trade-in, incentives, new cost and options for a '16 Q5. If not for the recall, I probably wouldn't be considering a move.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

There really is 2k from Audi for trading in your Takata Audi for a new Q5.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

We traded in our 2008 A4 Cab with the Takata incentive. The extra $2K pushed the price up enough that the car was not easily sellable privately in the week or so that it takes to get the new one. My experience with Carmax is they always offer much less than the dealers offer and with the airbag issue even less. The dealers can use the recalled cars but cannot sell them. Our A4 cab was a great car and at almost 90K miles, we got out of it without ever even needing a battery. If we miss it enough we can still visit. We plan to keep the 2011 Q5 and get the airbag repair in about a year when the parts should be available.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
There really is 2k from Audi for trading in your Takata Audi for a new Q5.
yes thats what he said. I asked him to email me the details, I can post when I get them
Old 08-07-2016, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stix
Mine's a 2012 Q5. 61K miles. It's been a good one with no problems. It's paid. I still like it. Same recall zone as you.

I don't feel the risk about driving it.. yet. But I'm not wild about waiting on someone, some day.. to fix it. I just started looking at numbers for trade-in, incentives, new cost and options for a '16 Q5. If not for the recall, I probably wouldn't be considering a move.
Im in same boat, mine has 60k, is CPO, and I have a blizzak set for it. dont really want to get rid of it.

the deaths and injuries from the accidents are horrific. Im just trying to see what other owners are deciding to do
Old 08-07-2016, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. My dealer told me 3k. Whether 2 or 3k, I know it is due to expire before our new car is delivered in December.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

For what it's worth all the injuries from Takata airbags in the news have not been Audi's. The letters I received from Audi stated that there have not been deaths or injuries in any Audi so far.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife is concerned about this and thinks I should press the dealer to do something (though she, as an attorney, is better at convincing people it's in their best interest to do what she wishes).

My sister-in-law's CRV also had this issue and the great thing was their dealer gave them a rental for about two months while they waited for the repair. Anyone think the Audi dealer could be compelled to do similar? Granted Honda had a fix in mind, just waiting on parts, whereas VW seems slow to decide a fix...

Quick Reply: how are you handling the takata airbag recall?