Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Humidity/foggy windshield

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Warhead
Good luck!

Also with the instructions I posted in the linked thread below. It is very easy to check this for yourself.
Yeah, I'm not so handy and, even if it's easy, I end up being so worried that I messed something up/didn't put something back correctly, that for me it's worth the $ (within reason!) to just have Audi do it...
Old 01-16-2019, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

So I brought the car to my Audi dealer and they found nothing wrong in terms of anything being clogged in the hood area, but said there was a broken hose around the sunroof system. They said the tubing is around all 4 corners of the sunroof (retractable), and that the driver's side tubing is leaking, it goes through headliner, through ceiling, down pillar post and down the body.

Does this make sense for water ending up on the driver's side floor sometimes?

I've seen no instances of water anywhere else in the car.

$700 to fix...
The following users liked this post:
DonTexanoEternal (12-30-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

john1r If it was me I'd seek out a good. competent "windshield" shop that isn't afraid of German cars.Could save you some $$.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes the leak makes sense. Moonroofs (which is what we have, sunroofs are all metal) always are surrounded by a gasket or seal, and that needs to be treated with ArmorAll or similar protectants typically every six months to keep it pliable and sealing well. Some of the new "rubber" parts are actually made with vegetable oilds (i.e. soy oil) and seagulls have been known to try pulling them off to eat them, all sorts of unlikely things are normal now.

If the main seal leaks, in theory all the water is trapped in a "tray" and directed down through drain hoses at multiple locations. Typically one to each "A" pillar and one to each "B' pillar. The one in the driver's side B pillar was the subject of a recall, if they leaked they could corrode the airbag with unpleasant results, you might want to make sure that if your car was affected by that recall, that was done.

If the drain in the drivers side "A" pillar had cracked, the water could easily run under your floor padding. Why it would crack, I couldn't guess. Plastic tubing should last longer than that.

As Murray says, an independent shop might be able to save you some bucks on that. It pretty much depends on where the cracked hose(s) are, how hard it will be to replace them, whether the moonroof has to be removed and refitted to access them all, and of course, the main seal around it should probably be replaced at the same time. Given that shop rates often range from $125 to $180 an hour...the estimate may not be unreasonable, but I think I'd want to make sure all the drain hoses and the main gasket were replaced at the same time. And a rust inhibitor or waxy spray coating shot down into the area of the leak, to slow down whatever other damage is happening down in there.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by john1r
So I brought the car to my Audi dealer and they found nothing wrong in terms of anything being clogged in the hood area, but said there was a broken hose around the sunroof system. They said the tubing is around all 4 corners of the sunroof (retractable), and that the driver's side tubing is leaking, it goes through headliner, through ceiling, down pillar post and down the body.

Does this make sense for water ending up on the driver's side floor sometimes?

I've seen no instances of water anywhere else in the car.

$700 to fix...
Read this post...………

Hopefully you or someone else besides the dealer can fix it.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...-hose-2960814/
Old 01-17-2019, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks everybody. I wish I could this stuff on my own, but it's just not going to happen Also, there aren't too many places around me that I trust with my 'baby'. I'm sure many are fine, and I bring my non-Audi, but I'm more comfortable at the dealer. Plus, in this instance, they've already got it opened up so I'm going to let them continue. One of these days though I do need to find a local place that works on Audis...
Old 01-29-2019, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sure am glad I decided to have Audi perform the $700 moonroof repair. Checked my car one morning after heavy rain the day before and of course there's a small amount of water on the driver's side floor (just like before), and now there's ALSO water on the passenger side floor...
Old 05-23-2019, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

So...after a few more trips to Audi, they now found a leak in the windshield seal at the very top left (when facing the car, so the passenger side).

They said to truly fix it would require them to remove the windshield, which 80% of the time will then break.

They suggested I just buy some sealant/whatnot and squeeze it into the groove at the top of the windshield.

2 questions; do I have any recourse (and what actions could I take) given the fact that I've already spend hundreds of dollars for them to fix it, and the problem is still there (unless it really was having multiple water issues and they did fix some but not all, but I guess that's impossible to prove). So far they fixed the moonroof hose and some worn weatherproofing around the door (or so they say), but now I have the windshield to contend with.

And second, what do I do about the windshield leak? I was able to confirm the leak by sticking a tissue on the interior at the very top of the windshield and going through a touchless car wash. When I pulled the tissue out it was wet. There was also a drip running down the inside of the windshield.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Let me see if I got this right. You told Audi "Takee fixee" and they did a batch of stuff that didn't fix the problem, and charged you for it.

Now they find the REAL problem, a leak around the windshield where they never worked on it, yes?

I could see a couple of fair solutions. One being to refund what they charged you, because they did the wrong fix.

And then to charge you for doing the right job, assuming you have them do it. Safelight franchises often can do the same job, same quality, half or 1/3 the cost.

Or the dealership could just FIX the real problem, at no charge since you already paid them for "the fix" and they bunged it up.

It is surprisingly easy to find leaks with a smoke machine and other equipment that most dealers just seem unable to comprehend, so "hard to find" is no excuse. They get PAID to do the hard stuff.

On just applying goop, I wouldn't do it. If there is any exposed metal in the windshield "frame", it will be rusting. If it rusts, it swells, it can crack the glass. (BTDT got the t-shirt.) So goop kinda works IF either you are lucky or you plan to get rid of the car soon. But the real answer is, yes, remove the windshield, prep, prime, and reseal the entire surface. A good glass shop will tell you, sure, it may shatter. But if they are good with the wire that is usually used to cut windshields free? They won't make that your problem.

The shop needs to man up. Starting with a refund for the wrong work, unless they're going to just make it all right, now.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks so much and yeah, that's the gist of it. One problem though in claiming they did the wrong work, etc., is that I first noticed water on the drivers side floor, then the passenger seat, then the passenger floor.

So it is possibly/likely, I guess, that there were/are multiple leaks? Then again, the odds of there being 3 different ones, in a 6 month period...