Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

I compared 3.0T vs TDI in 4 different performance comparisons - here are results

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Thanks
If you're interested in the more elaborate answer... I had previously used an APR product "ECU Explorer", no longer available for sale and only worked on older cars. Using that, I had set up a template that many other B5S4 owners had utilized. You can read all about it here, and see examples - the few items I posted here is just the tip of stuff that I've logged/graphed previously:
http://ctny.audiworld.com/mark/s4/ecux/

I've recently modified (units differed between the tools) my template to work for select VAGCOM data (Engine Speed & Vehicle Speed). I just posted it here for anyone that wants to utilize it:
http://ctny.audiworld.com/mark/s4/ec...q5_vagcom.xlsx

As I encounter reasons to log other variables, I'll update it accordingly.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you should have checked the fuel consumption vs the two with these tests too!
Old 11-26-2013, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
you should have checked the fuel consumption vs the two with these tests too!
I considered it but knew it wasn't going to be valid. I only had the 3.0T for a few days, and was "enjoying" it more than typical so the mileage was going to suffer. I don't even recall what it was over the time I had it - I think in the 18's.

Even trying to capture it while I was doing these pulls wasn't going to be exact because I occasionally had to abort a pull if a car was anywhere in sight, or if I went into kickdown when I didn't mean to, or just forgot what I was supposed to be doing, etc

That said, what I did manage to capture was that for the day I did the pulls in the TDI, I did just over 100 miles and averaged 24.2 mpg that day. Roughly I drove 10 miles roundtrip to my testing location and then 3 miles for each pass (10 passes) that's about 40 miles just for these tests. You can see that here:

Considering I had already been averaging about 24.5 mpg, adding in these 10 pulls of varying length didn't alter my mpg that much. So either this is already typical for me (not really), or throwing in some extra-fun time into the tank still keeps the fuel economy quite reasonable (more likely).
Old 11-26-2013, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark P

Considering I had already been averaging about 24.5 mpg, adding in these 10 pulls of varying length didn't alter my mpg that much. So either this is already typical for me (not really), or throwing in some extra-fun time into the tank still keeps the fuel economy quite reasonable (more likely).

That is your answer. Same result with my 335d. Drive it hard and it still returns excellent mileage.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mark P
If you're interested in the more elaborate answer... I had previously used an APR product "ECU Explorer", no longer available for sale and only worked on older cars. Using that, I had set up a template that many other B5S4 owners had utilized.
Mark, have you seen the latest offering from APR, called APR Mobile? Looks like they included the capabilities of ECU Explorer into their latest tunes since they advertise "high data rates not found on other commercially available tools".

I plan to upgrade my S6 tune to the latest version and buy the OBD dongle to try some logging. I miss the old ECU Explorer days...