AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   I hate the large outside mirrors!!! (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/i-hate-large-outside-mirrors-2849737/)

Bob Petruska 06-26-2013 10:47 AM

I hate the large outside mirrors!!!

This is my first Q5, coming off an A4. I can't belive they made these huge things, such a safety hazard with the left side front blind spots. I'm stopped at a light today, luckily I see a kid walk up to the cross walk on my left and disappeared in the mirror as he stood there. If I wasn't looking to the left when he approached and knew his was there and the light turned green when he was walking to my front I would have hit him! Also when making left turns in areas of dividers, etc. they just disappear. I never had this problem with my half the Q5 mirror height, more foward and lower mounted A4 mirrors. Also you can't turn the mirror heaters on manually like my A4 came did when you activated the rear defroster, this helped tremendously to keep the outside mirrors dry when it was raining.

My new 21014 is OK but it sure isn't the quality materials of my old A4. The Q5 A/C is definitely better.....

larryV 06-26-2013 10:56 AM

you know what they say about a guy who has big mirrors...

mrrun2fast 06-26-2013 11:40 AM

I agree with you. They create a blindspot for me when turning. I believe Audi is using the Q7 mirrors for the Q5. I had a '13 A4 loaner last week and noticed how much smaller they were in comparison to the Q5. Iwould have preferred they used those mirrors for the Q5.

Bob Petruska 06-26-2013 12:10 PM

Nothing grows in the shade........

Originally Posted by larryV (Post 24459139)
you know what they say about a guy who has big mirrors...

tears!

Bob Petruska 06-26-2013 12:13 PM

Good point....

Originally Posted by mrrun2fast (Post 24459161)
I agree with you. They create a blindspot for me when turning. I believe Audi is using the Q7 mirrors for the Q5. I had a '13 A4 loaner last week and noticed how much smaller they were in comparison to the Q5. Iwould have preferred they used those mirrors for the Q5.

I just may look into the current A4 mirrors and hopefully Audi was smart enough to keep the same mounting arrangement and they just might fit. I am willing to pay that conversion expense for safety and comfort.

Kobi's Q 06-26-2013 12:22 PM

Don't knock my Dumbo mirrors!!!! I agree with you, I have had some issues with it creating blind spots in tight areas and turns. But on the flip side when you need to use them you get the whole picture and then some. As a reviewer said once he thought he could see the future in those mirrors.

rdA4WtQ5 06-26-2013 01:50 PM

You definitely get used to them and really appreciate them while towing.

SDCEB 06-26-2013 01:54 PM

They bothered me when I first got them as I was always worried that I couldn't see what was below on the left side of the car. After having mine for a year now, I really don't notice them any more and appreciate the larger field of vision they give me. You will get used to them and they fit the overall look of the car well, in my opinion.

johnowen 06-26-2013 02:01 PM

Bigger the better!
I hate having side blind spots. When smaller
Cars hang back on the left side the bigger
Mirrors show more so you see more.

To see better in front of the mirror move your seat higher.
Seat higher..

abcabc 06-26-2013 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by johnowen (Post 24459227)
Bigger the better!
I hate having side blind spots. When smaller
Cars hang back on the left side the bigger
Mirrors show more so you see more.

To see better in front of the mirror move your seat higher.
Seat higher..

+1
Personally, I'm a fan of the larger mirrors. They remove the blind spots that I had with my previous A4.