Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

If you bought a used but not CPO Q5, what would you do for a warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you bought a used but not CPO Q5, what would you do for a warranty?

I am interested in buying a 2016 Q5 Premium Plus from a Toyota Dealership. It has less than 10K miles and appears to be in perfect condition with a clean one owner Car Fax report. So, if you were purchasing this car, what would you do for an extended warranty and/or service package? I drive a lot ($25K miles a year) so I will definitely need something. It will still be under the factory warranty but I should be able to purchase an extended warranty, right? And I have been reading through previous posts on this forum and it looks like I can purchase Audi Care for a maintenance plan from Audi or Fidelity? And what would you place the value of a CPO being? I need to negotiate the price against what I could get a simliar CPO for. I'm sorry for the long series of questions, but you all seem to really know your stuff and as a female purchasing a car, I have to do my due diligence amd then some. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

"as a female purchasing a car" Oh my goodness what is the world coming to ? These are generally very reliable vehicles, so depending on how much peace of mind you want to purchase, be conservative.Unless something "unexpected" comes up, which can happen with any brand, I wouldn't spend any money on an "extended warranty" but that's just me - 3rd Audi all over 300k kms (190k miles) and I've never regretted not buying a supplementary warranty.But that's just me.
What I would want to do is determine why the previous owner gave up so early, could be they didn't like it or ran into financing issues, but it could be something else, check it out .

Last edited by MurrayA4; 09-24-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my '14 as a CPO, and it came with Audi's 6 yr / 100K mile warranty. If the car you are looking at is a CPO, shouldn't it, too, have that warranty?

Jason
New York
Old 09-25-2017, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would not consider purchasing an extended warranty at this point given it's a 2016 with only 10k miles. That means you've probably got 2-3 years or 40k miles with the factory warranty to find out whether it's a vehicle that will likely require a lot of repairs (and whether you'll even want to keep it beyond that point).

For pricing, that can vary significantly based on the options on the car and also on your location and demand in the area. I would expect though that last generation Q5s should be coming down in price with the new generation having been released.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

When I first saw my Q5 I inspected it, I drove it and paid a downpayment the same day. My Q5 was made in middle of 2009 which meant it was purchased by an early adopter, thus high risk. It had an audi full service history so I was convinced. Not a wise decision due to retrofits I additionally needed to install (bluetooth, keyless go and entry, back up camera, ADS, door warning and puddle lights, internal leds), failed hardware leading to oil consumption, and firmware updates it needed primarily to enable missing features found in later manufacturing years (engine, pdc, transmission, electrical, comfort, instrument cluster, radio, gateway) which were never updated. Even the trnasmission external pipeline and filter was revised in later years (2011).

Now purchasing a Q5 made in 2016 I would not worry on anything mechanical, or worry about updating a control module. I would concentrate only on extra accessories it comes with and if it was engaged in a motor accident. All known problems were fixed and it should have minimal future problems compared to a Q5 made in 2009.. Remember that warantee coverage means you have to have full audi service history. I would not purchase an extension however I would try to find one which meets my current technological needs and one that was made in 2014 or later.

Passive torque vectoring was included in Q5 facelift version with s-tronic and crown differential so that would definetely be something to think about. Not sure if s-tronic transmission (facelift) was offered in USA.

Last edited by apoelistas; 09-25-2017 at 12:01 PM.