Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Improving Bang and Olufsen Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 01:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Improving Bang and Olufsen Stereo

I have a 2009 Audi Q5 Prestige with the MMI 3g and B&O stereo.

I recently borrowed an Audi customer loaner car (a very sweet 2014 A3-small, but oh so fun!), and the B&O stereo in that car was awesome. The highs were high, well defined midrange, and the bass hit hard. Loudness was exquisite (not to mention seeing album art and using bluetooth streaming)!

I then went back into my Q5. To say I'm disappointed by the sound is an understatment. I constantly have to tweak the music in order to get it to sound right (bass/treble/GALA). The middle isn't as "warm" and full, and the highs not as bright as in the other car. The bass is "okay" (not looking for a frame-shaker or anything, but more solid and resonant).

I'm I just hard to please? Anyone have similar complaints? Is there anything I can do/install/replace (either VCDS or parts) to enhance my listening experience? No codes or anything related to the sound system have been encountered.

By frame of reference, I came from a 2002 Infiniti Q45 with Bose system. That system is far and away a better sound system--almost makes me wish I had waited for a similar Q5 with the Symphony stereo.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Saintsfanatik
I have a 2009 Audi Q5 Prestige with the MMI 3g and B&O stereo.

I recently borrowed an Audi customer loaner car (a very sweet 2014 A3-small, but oh so fun!), and the B&O stereo in that car was awesome. The highs were high, well defined midrange, and the bass hit hard. Loudness was exquisite (not to mention seeing album art and using bluetooth streaming)!

I then went back into my Q5. To say I'm disappointed by the sound is an understatment. I constantly have to tweak the music in order to get it to sound right (bass/treble/GALA). The middle isn't as "warm" and full, and the highs not as bright as in the other car. The bass is "okay" (not looking for a frame-shaker or anything, but more solid and resonant).

I'm I just hard to please? Anyone have similar complaints? Is there anything I can do/install/replace (either VCDS or parts) to enhance my listening experience? No codes or anything related to the sound system have been encountered.

By frame of reference, I came from a 2002 Infiniti Q45 with Bose system. That system is far and away a better sound system--almost makes me wish I had waited for a similar Q5 with the Symphony stereo.
i have 2013 Q5 with B&O and the dealer gave me an A3 sedan and u are so right that the A3 sounds much much better than my Q.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would guess the Q5 has a bigger area to fill and fill properly than on the A3….So it's probably easier to make is sound better in the smaller 'room'

I came from a Lexus IS350 with the Mark Levinson system…Both the B&O and ML sound nice..I think I have to give the nod to the ML however…although it may just be because of the smaller 'room' in the IS350..and am/was used to it after nine years
Old 04-16-2015, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The fact that so many of you complain about the B&O sound on your Q5s just makes me feel good about the fact that the wife got her Q5 without it, and personally I think the stock system sounds pretty darn good.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I thought the same thing, too, but...

Originally Posted by SJGQ5
I would guess the Q5 has a bigger area to fill and fill properly than on the A3….So it's probably easier to make is sound better in the smaller 'room'

I came from a Lexus IS350 with the Mark Levinson system…Both the B&O and ML sound nice..I think I have to give the nod to the ML however…although it may just be because of the smaller 'room' in the IS350..and am/was used to it after nine years
My Q45 was at least as large internally as the Q5. I've tried driver-focused settings for the balance, fader, and GALA, but it sill sound crappy.

Next, I'm wondering if changing the door speakers for something else would (a) give me warmer midrange, and (b) not require any kind of component protection f*&kery to install and have work.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
The fact that so many of you complain about the B&O sound on your Q5s just makes me feel good about the fact that the wife got her Q5 without it, and personally I think the stock system sounds pretty darn good.
They're just complaining, its not bad at All
Old 04-16-2015, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

In your Q45, the listening space is comprised of the front and back seat...and the headroom is also much lower. In the Q5 you have to add the entire cargo area....I do not see how you think the Q45 has a larger area.
Anyway, I added a 10" subwoofer and the difference in the sound is huge. It allows you to tune the sound a little higher to let the sub handle the heavy lifting.

Originally Posted by Saintsfanatik
My Q45 was at least as large internally as the Q5. I've tried driver-focused settings for the balance, fader, and GALA, but it sill sound crappy.

Next, I'm wondering if changing the door speakers for something else would (a) give me warmer midrange, and (b) not require any kind of component protection f*&kery to install and have work.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I concur, I had a 2011 A4 with the B&O and can say it is the best stock car audio system I've had. Sold the A4 and got a 2015 Q5 with the B&O and was VERY surprised at how different it sounds. Not nearly as good at as the version in the A4. I've tried numerous setting changes and cannot get it the same. I guess Audi was not able to get the fine tuning perfect in the Q5 cabin.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

This topic has been discussed before - in summary, the B&O system is very crisp and clear, but completely lacks on the lower frequencies because the subwoofer is completely underpowered (it is located in the spare tire).

What I did to remedy this is purchase a small, powered sub and installed it right next to the tire under the main floor. The only downside to this is that I had to remove the plastic bin, but I still use the remainder of the area for good storage.

I am very satisfied with my sound system now.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ser968
This topic has been discussed before - in summary, the B&O system is very crisp and clear, but completely lacks on the lower frequencies because the subwoofer is completely underpowered (it is located in the spare tire).

What I did to remedy this is purchase a small, powered sub and installed it right next to the tire under the main floor. The only downside to this is that I had to remove the plastic bin, but I still use the remainder of the area for good storage.

I am very satisfied with my sound system now.
Any chance you'd want to give us some specifics? What brand/model subwoofer, how you installed it, etc.?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Improving Bang and Olufsen Stereo