Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Infamous B Pillar Tick/Squeak

Old 07-26-2016, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have this issue since day 1 and been to several dealers, applied with many felts on various locations. One of the dealers even replaced the door panel and the black trim on the outside but the rattle is still there especially in a hot day. I have owned the car about 5 years now so I'm kind of get use to it.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remove the trim and install some CCF behind it with some butyl deadener (to add some mass). You'll never hear the noise again.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The vehicle is nice a quiet except for that rattle. Sounds like a small glass rod bouncing around in there. Did the silicone spray work for you and do you think it is a long term solution?

I had brought mine in shortly after purchasing it and they mentioned using felt before. But as luck would have it the weather cooled down and they couldn't reproduce it. Now that its hot everyday I'm thinking of bringing it back in for review.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am having the same rattle/ticking noise. What is odd is that when it occurs, if I open and shut the rear door, the noise goes away. If I reach behind me and push on the door panel right below the tweeter, the noise will go away as long as I put pressure on the door. Do you think its the black trim still?
Old 08-03-2016, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yes. the entire vehicle vibrates when driving. The vibration you can't feel, but enough to make the exterior black trim panel to vibrate and touch the B pillar chassis. It's not just the black trim that vibrates. It's the entire vehicle including your rear door the black trim panel is attached to. You stop the vibration or reduce it by pressing the door panel, it will most likely stop the vibration transmitted to the trim panel, so the rattle stops. Also, opening and closing door is just temporary fix, and the rattle will come back soon.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nate704
yes. the entire vehicle vibrates when driving. The vibration you can't feel, but enough to make the exterior black trim panel to vibrate and touch the B pillar chassis. It's not just the black trim that vibrates. It's the entire vehicle including your rear door the black trim panel is attached to. You stop the vibration or reduce it by pressing the door panel, it will most likely stop the vibration transmitted to the trim panel, so the rattle stops. Also, opening and closing door is just temporary fix, and the rattle will come back soon.
I wonder if adding dynamat to the inside of the door skin would help. I've thought about trying to remove the black trim, but it seems like its quite complicated.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

that's exactly what I'm trying to do, but I'm not sure how to access the trim. I'm sure I will have to take off the door panel and some more along the way to get to the black trim. I'm wondering if anyone try to remove the black trim panel?
Old 08-03-2016, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sszyma
Remove the trim and install some CCF behind it with some butyl deadener (to add some mass). You'll never hear the noise again.
Works like a charm. If you want added noise bring it to the dealer where the tech will make other parts rattle in the process.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

The question is HOW to remove the trim.....
Old 08-03-2016, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sszyma
Works like a charm. If you want added noise bring it to the dealer where the tech will make other parts rattle in the process.
Did you remove yours? If so, do you know the process to take it off?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Infamous B Pillar Tick/Squeak