Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Infamous B Pillar Tick/Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The rear door black trim is a PITA. I have not attempted it. If you lower the rear window and pull the rubber window channel out just a bit you'll expose TWO screws -- T20s. The trick is that the THIRD screw is under the window channel BELOW where the window will retract to. So... yes, that means actually removing the window to access it. The actual service manual says to see 'Removing Rear Window' as step 1 in the process -- not for the faint of heart. I certainly won't attempt it. The thought of having the dealer tearing the door apart to address this doesn't exactly appeal to me either.

Unfortunately my squeak/tick returned but I'm working on some simple foam rubber attachment to exposed metal area of the door where it touches the b-pillar to help remedy the vibration which causes the tick/squeak. I've actually had quite a bit of success but still experimenting. I'll update when I have a more reliable suggestion as to the placement and type of foam.

Originally Posted by probmxstyle
Did you remove yours? If so, do you know the process to take it off?
Old 08-03-2016, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

FYI here is the service manual excerpt on removing the trim panels. I got this from another thread on this forum. It is not mine and I do not have a service manual.

If you look at the front door -- it's simple. But the first step for the rear door is to remove the window... so...

Old 08-03-2016, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This is the window channel that gets pulled out... it's quite simple for the front door.

Here it's show NOT ON A Q5 but a VW of some sort I believe... but this will give you some idea of the rubber part that you pull out to expose the screws.

Again though... YOU CAN'T GET TO THE BOTTOM SCREW WITHOUT REMOVING THE REAR WINDOW IN THE DOOR. The Audi Q5 has three screws unlike in this picture where there are only two that are easily accessible

In my case at least, the plastic trim never touches the B pillar. There's easily a 1/4 inch clearance up and down when the door is shut even after sitting in the sun. You can judge this by just opening the front door and looking along the leading edge of the rear door when it's shut. Just pull the small rubber flap out a bit to look behind it. The door doesn't have a 1/4 inch of play in it either -- not enough to push it against the B pillar on the chassis.

I personally think the cause of the creaking could be the plastic fittings that the screws go into in the door. I've talked to folks who have covered the entire back of the trim in felt, grease, whatever and it STILL creaks on hot days.

Last edited by cruzinaround; 08-03-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My next attempt at a "fix" will be to apply a strip of solid rectangle foam rubber(EPDM) cord(think weatherstrip but not hollow). I'm trying 1/2 inch wide by about 1/4 inch thick strip about 6 or so inches long. This will create a slight pressure between the pillar area of the door and the chassis when closed and also serves to absorb vibration. I inspected the gap without anything applied and it's about 1/8 of an inch so 1/4 will be about the thickest I'll try.

This is a Q5 door pic I found online and marked up as to where I'm applying the foam rubber strip...

I'll report back in a couple days after I get it out into the sun again for an extended period of time.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to access the two torx screws that cruzinaround previously mentioned. After loosening them, I was able to peel back the b-pillar trim about a half an inch and attached some felt tape to the underside of it. I also jammed another piece in there for good measure and tightened down the screws nice and tight. Time will tell, but there was no hint of a rattle on my commute this morning.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I took the Q5 into the dealership. They said the B pillar trim was loose and adjusted it. Seems like it's fixed for now. My noise was not temperature related. Initially it was when going over bumps, and then turned into almost full time noise due to vibration. It drove me crazy. Hope you guys get it fixed.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

What year is your Q5?

Originally Posted by probmxstyle
I was able to access the two torx screws that cruzinaround previously mentioned. After loosening them, I was able to peel back the b-pillar trim about a half an inch and attached some felt tape to the underside of it. I also jammed another piece in there for good measure and tightened down the screws nice and tight. Time will tell, but there was no hint of a rattle on my commute this morning.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzinaround
What year is your Q5?
2015 SQ5
Old 08-07-2016, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cruzinaround
I don't really want to beat a dead horse here since the problem has been documented by others too:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...attle-2898105/

I'm just curious if anyone has gone in to have this addressed and was it successful? If so, what did your fix consist of? Just trying to arm myself with as much information as possible!

Appreciate the help!
Thx to all for bringing this up. I thought it was just us.

We have a 2015 Q5 TDI and noticed a noise from the rear window in passenger side, when driving the car. The noise was more noticeable when driving in quiet highway. It got annoying.

We had to take to dealer twice before it was taken care of. The last time was about 2 months ago and it has not return- hope that it won't.

While this does not identify the problem for do-it-yourself folks, it may help others that are still under warranty take care of theirs.

Last edited by Sigq5; 08-15-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just tried the white lithium spray method, and it did NOT work. After one night of very light rain, the grease leaked out and the noise came back in 1 day.

Quick Reply: Infamous B Pillar Tick/Squeak