Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Infant Seat Protector?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 05:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infant Seat Protector?

Sorry if this is off topic, but I just purchased a new Q5 and we're expecting our first child in about 2 weeks. I'm a bit paranoid that the infant seat base will damage the leather. I've heard people say just put a towel underneath while others recommend a seat protector. I've read stories that these seat protectors can melt into the leather and cause damage.

If anyone can offer some advice/suggestions/experience I'll be very appreciative. That's for the car seat protection, not parenting advice.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Haven't had any issues in any of my cars, but that's with velour (2002 Passat) and leatherette (2009 Odyssey). I just do a towel underneath, nothing on the back. Haven't gotten the Q5 quite yet, but planning the same there (or maybe putting a towel both under and behind since the back is usually where the most stress is likely to be).
Old 06-17-2013, 06:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dnajar
Sorry if this is off topic, but I just purchased a new Q5 and we're expecting our first child in about 2 weeks. I'm a bit paranoid that the infant seat base will damage the leather. I've heard people say just put a towel underneath while others recommend a seat protector. I've read stories that these seat protectors can melt into the leather and cause damage.

If anyone can offer some advice/suggestions/experience I'll be very appreciative. That's for the car seat protection, not parenting advice.
I bought one of those protectors from Amazon.com. Works fine. I'm **** about my cars and don't want the interior to look like it was sat in at all, so I do what I can to protect the seats.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Our 1st Q5 had a black interior and my youngest daughter was still in a booster seat.

I bought a set of nice thick black bath sheets. they were probably 4'x3' and weighed a good 2#s. I folded one and put it under the booster. It helped catch messes and stopped all pressure marks/stretching of the leather.

After we no longer needed the booster, we kept the towels in the trunk for whenever the kids had wet bathing suits or dirty pants.

In addition, having a set of dry towels in the trunk always came in handy.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dnajar

I did some damage to the leather in our first A6 because I cinched the car seat too tight. Ever since, I bought these:

Amazon.com: Kiddopotamus Elite Duomat 2 in 1 Car Seat Protector Mat: Baby Amazon.com: Kiddopotamus Elite Duomat 2 in 1 Car Seat Protector Mat: Baby

Works like a charm going on 3 years, no damage underneath or behind the car seat now (used for both forward and rear facing). As a bonus, it catches all sorts of food and small spills.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is good as well:
Amazon.com: Prince Lionheart 2 Stage Seatsaver, Black: Baby Amazon.com: Prince Lionheart 2 Stage Seatsaver, Black: Baby

The material is thick and grips the seat surface well.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gronk
I did some damage to the leather in our first A6 because I cinched the car seat too tight. Ever since, I bought these:

Amazon.com: Kiddopotamus Elite Duomat 2 in 1 Car Seat Protector Mat: Baby

Works like a charm going on 3 years, no damage underneath or behind the car seat now (used for both forward and rear facing). As a bonus, it catches all sorts of food and small spills.
Cool, that's exactly what someone got us for her baby shower, and got us two of them! I guess someone knows us very well and how we like to take good care of our cars Expecting our first son this September.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by D_Frost
This is good as well: Amazon.com: Prince Lionheart 2 Stage Seatsaver, Black: Baby

The material is thick and grips the seat surface well.
+1, I had my first child in January and have been using this ever since we put in the child seat. I have removed it a few times to vacuum and removed the pads and there is no indentation at all, its been 6 months...so pretty satisfied with it so far...
Old 06-17-2013, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gronk

Amazon.com: Kiddopotamus Elite Duomat 2 in 1 Car Seat Protector Mat: Baby

Yeah, that's the exact one we have in our Tiguan and A3. I've been very happy with those for the past 17 months. We've had the infant carrier seat and now a full size convertible seat. That other one posted looks good too.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all of the input. I just ordered 2 sets of the Prince Lionheart. I'll lift them and condition the leather every few months, especially in the summer.

Quick Reply: Infant Seat Protector?