Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Installed 10.25" Android Head Unit (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Don't know if result of your inquiry, but RSNAV News indicates a 10.25" version for A6 C6 and Q7 Mk1. https://rsnav.com/pages/news
Yep I reached out to Daniel @ RSNAV and he told me that it will be out and available close to the end of the month. So should be interesting.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for Tim Oppermann's #.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some questions for you.
1. Did you tap into the reverse backup light for your camera, if so what is the power wire and is it hard to get to and are you using T-tap or soldering.
2. Did you connect camera direct so the camera alway on.
3. How did you tap into the front fuse box did you use piggy fuse holder or other sources.

Thanks,
fyaajster
Old 03-19-2018, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fyaajster
Here are some questions for you.
1. Did you tap into the reverse backup light for your camera, if so what is the power wire and is it hard to get to and are you using T-tap or soldering.
2. Did you connect camera direct so the camera alway on.
3. How did you tap into the front fuse box did you use piggy fuse holder or other sources.

Thanks,
fyaajster
1. Yes I tapped into the reverse backup wire for the backup camera with a T-tap connector. It is extremely easy to access and find. You can find it on the right side of the trunk after removal of the felt panel that houses the 12-volt socket. I can take a picture of it if you need, I think it was a black and white striped wire if I recall.

2. The way the head unit is wired makes it so that it will only display the backup camera when it senses a signal from it. I know this because I had it wired as always on before this and it would just show the backup camera non stop. After I T-tapped into the car's reverse wire instead, it only shows the backup camera in reverse now, so I'm assuming that it is only powered on when in reverse now.

3. The install for this system doesn't require tapping into any fuses at all.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ZTANG,
Yes please send me the photo i like to confirm it before tapping into the reverse backlight.

What I meant was the front panel fuse.

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2018, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

ZTANG,
Yes please send me the photo i like to confirm it before tapping into the reverse backlight.

What I meant was the front panel fuse.

Thanks!
I'll take a photo when I get home from work tonight.
This system doesn't require interaction with any of the fuses or fuse panels in the front, it does however piggyback on the connectors to the LVDS screen and MMI/AMI radios. But those connectors just plug straight into the original harnesses. There are no interactions with the fuses or fuse box panel.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Thank you. I find myself unexpectedly tempted by one of these units.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

ZTANG,
Thanks!
Here ya go. This should be helpful for anyone installing a backup camera on the Q5 specifically because our reverse lights aren't located in the tail lights, but in an assembly that is located in the rear bumper.

You're basically looking for a black and white striped wire coming from the main harness that inserts into a connector with wires leading into the lower rear bumper. That connector is attached to the very backside of the car parallel to the tail gate. The pictures should make it clear.

Last edited by ZThang; 03-20-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mythdoc
Thank you. I find myself unexpectedly tempted by one of these units.

Not gonna lie, it is defintely a game changer. My work commute everyday is about 30 min each way, and I now spend that entire time listening to or occasionally glancing at (not fully watching b/c that would be dangerous ) either SlingTV or Youtube videos.
It's obviously not cheap at $725 shipped, but I don't really spend money on clothes/jewelry/going out/etc, so I felt like I deserved the splurge. Plus it's something that I interact with and enjoy every...single...day and that makes it worth it to me.

Last edited by ZThang; 03-20-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

How does internet work on it? Did you put in a sim card from your mobile carrier? How much do they charge?

Quick Reply: Installed 10.25" Android Head Unit (Pics)