Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Installed 10.25" Android Head Unit (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Voja Rajkovic
Hi Redd
Yes i have unlimited plan on verizon
I can use tethering with voice and always
and i just click on hot spot and thats it
its working
but when tasker try to start tethering it show tethering failed
Thank's
What phone are you using? There are some phones that don't allow tasker to enable tethering without being rooted. I had the same problem on my last phone which was a Google Pixel

Those phones required this additional plugin for it to work. Again I believe this requires root access tho.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rtethercontrol

Last edited by ZThang; 01-11-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZThang
What phone are you using? There are some phones that don't allow tasker to enable tethering without being rooted. I had the same problem on my last phone which was a Google Pixel

Those phones required this additional plugin for it to work. Again I believe this requires root access tho.
i have Samsung S8+ Verizon
i install yesterday this nougat tasker tether control
but it only show installed and i can't open it and i try to find it where is in my phone that app but i can't
Old 01-11-2019, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Voja Rajkovic
i have Samsung S8+ Verizon
i install yesterday this nougat tasker tether control
but it only show installed and i can't open it and i try to find it where is in my phone that app but i can't
It's a plugin that's embedded into Tasker so there's no stand alone app. Again though, you will need root access on your phone for it to work.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a plugin that's embedded into Tasker so there's no stand alone app. Again though, you will need root access on your phone for it to work.
yes
i thought its like plug in
but i don't know how to root it
Old 01-11-2019, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I recall it's Verizon who blocks tethering through tasker without root. There was one "work-around" that once programmed in tasker which simulated keyboard inputs, pulling down the top menu, and turning tethering on right in this menu - but it has some timing issues depending on what else is going on with the phone and only worked about 80% of the time.
I think the plugin was called auto-input, which allowed to "record" this. If you're interested in this, I can dig it up again for you.

In the end, I opted to root my Pixel XL.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Voja-

Are you sure that your phone & account will allow you to have the phone in voice mode, and enable data tethering, at the same time? If you can manually set this up and it is only the automated process that is not working, please ignore this message.

FWIW, there are some phones that do not allow tethering to be enabled. And some carrier accounts (varying with the account type as well as the carrier) where you cannot enable tethering unless you upgrade your account to a more expensive one. Traditional Verizon postpaid plans in the US used to allow *either* voice or data (tethering) use, but not both at the same time. So even with a legacy account, this may be an issue.

Sometimes this is also locked/enabled by the APN settings in the phone.
Verizon went back and forth on this. In most contracts now you have data limits, where they don't care where/how you burn(waste?) your data.
In my case, I have an unlimited (family) plan - just got tired of my kids burning through their limits each month and then whining ... - but they now have limits after which they throttle speed for tethering.
It says "After 15 GB, hotspot speeds are reduced to up to 600 kbps." - this is per line on an unlimited family plan.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

1. What is the deal with RSNAV products (and all other manufacturers) and WI_DI or Miracast support (android auto or not)??? Do we need an external USB dongle for wireless display ??? If yes when is the new generation RSNAV comming out which will support with Miracast with Android phones (wirelessly) and without the need for connecting WiDi dongles through USB????

2 The next question is, with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay and future Radio Concert Support we will need a new 7" or 8" Display (instead of 6.5") that will support High Definition and Touch Screen and have Radio Concert Support. Bearing in mind that a screen will need an upgrade why go though this route??? Will a new touch screen HD 7" be made available????????

Please open a discussion. I need a 7" HD touch screen for upgrading my Radio Concert Screen that will also support Android Auto or Nav with proper Wireless Display which is inbuilt to the Display (preferably) or Box hardware with a 7" touch screen HD.. Is there one??????

It seems that I am not so convinced with current technology yet. Please convince me.

Last edited by apoelistas; 06-01-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Im selling my sq5 (its in the classifieds) and also will be selling the 10.25" display as well. I will post an ad today in the classifieds. You can message me for details.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

I ended up installing a Carnaviplayer unit, it's a 7" Android screen with backup camera, GPS and Apple Carplay. I barely use the Android features, I'd say I only use it to check the dashboard camera videos, it's a slow unit that take 20-30s to boot, but once it's up it's stable. I bought an Apple Carplay USB dongle, not the tidiest setup but it does its job, once plugged in it does exactly what I need, which is using it for Waze, Spotify, TuneIn radio and listen to podcasts. The unit is very well integrated with the steering wheel, specially the backup camera, it's got not only a decent image quality but it's very fast to react once R is engaged and it even display direction guides (lines) based on steering direction, I was impressed by this feature, again, it's fast, bright and clear. Bluetooth phone connection is very good too, it uses the car interface, audio is clear and I can even fire up calls or text messages using Siri
Cost for the unit and add-ons was around $500, my indy shop did the installation for $150. Not sure what your expectations are, but a setup like this will bring some fresh air to your cabin, I wish I had wireless Carplay integration, but I didn't had the bar that high, I had a few musts, like backup camera, Waze and music/radio streaming from my iPhone, all those boxes were checked .

Last edited by uncleiggy; 06-01-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

$150? Hold on, I'm putting my car in a shipping cube. Ask you guys if they can pick it up at the dock or if I should fly down with it.

Quick Reply: Installed 10.25" Android Head Unit (Pics)