Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Installed Rearview Camera Retrofit from Carsgadget.com (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Just found a mistake in canbus, cables. They are all connected to the convenience canbus cables. This is wrong since canbus green brown do not carry the correct signals needed by the camera interface.

Should be conneced to drivetrain (distance electronics, steering angle etc). I have read the audi/vw canbus manual, which makes this clear in a diagram. which I am attaching below.

I am filling optimistic that tomorrow I will succeed.

Wish me luck
I will not say yet that harness provided for RS-1103M in both cases (old harness and new harness) is wrong , and I will not say that kufatec manual for Q5 mmi camera canbus pin information is wrong, unless I prove the theory.

Last edited by apoelistas; 11-20-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

SUCCESS I WILL UPLOAD VIDEO.

I did not plug to drive train but a different canbus pin position.

Sellers should sell old harness without beige plug, but with canbus pins so you can install in the correct free canbus pin position behind original beige connector. this is the procedure.
I was lucky I ordered the old harness too (HVAC harness is the new which I also have but used only for testing). Luckily it came with beige plug and extra canbus pins. Beige plug I did no use.

So if you have the radio HVAC harness bad luck. Wrong canbus position.

I will let know my seller because he provided me with a different interface without extra cost which I did not test .
(Tested new interface AD-8014 next day. No radar image.)

There is a closure. RS-1103M rocks. Another happy end with radio concert back up camera.

I will correct/ammend my RS-1103M pdf manual.

I think I should spin off my knowledge into a B8 retrofit company . LOL

Downside, I lost distance guideline and steering wheel dynamic lines. I am happy with this solution so I will not spent any more time on this. The companies selling this product should do the research needed in order to resolve this issue. Maybe someone could test different canbus pins. I will leave this work to another forum member if he wishes to do the testing. My work stops here.

My solution for a perfect camera interface with all features supported.
Connect interface can-h can-l (tap) directly to parking control module in the trunk respective cables.

Last edited by apoelistas; 11-22-2017 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Last edited by apoelistas; 11-21-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

SO FOR A COMPLETE CAMERA FEATURES SUPPORT (guidelines, dynamic lines and optical illustration/radar) THIS IS THE SOLUTION (photo). For RS-1103M MANUFACTURER DOES NOT GIVE INFORMATION IF PINS 5-8 CAN ACCEPT ADDITIONAL CAN-H CAN-L CONNECTIONS FROM GATEWAY . Only one manufacturer sells such kit for radio concert non mmi. Model: NTV-KIT700..

I guess for simplicity of installation RS-1103M came with just 2 canbus cables instead of proper 4 (2 can cables from convenience (orange green/ orange brown) but also 2 can cables from infotainment (orange blue/orange brown) . I have shown that plugin to orange blue orange brown can cables we get radar (optical illustration on car overlay when reversing)

We need 2 additional can cables from interface to gateway or to canbus connector, but not sure where to plug those on the interface. we need schematics of empty Pins 5-8 from interface.

Please put some pressure on sellers/ manufacturer to give schematics of RS-1103M interface Can plug pin 5-8.
Pin 1 ACC
Pin 2 CAN-H Orange Green (note Chinese Man may use different colouring than Audi)
Pin 3 CAN-L Orange Brown
Pin 4 Ground

Where is Group from infotainment Can cables: Pin 5, Pin 6 Pin 7 Pin 8????
a) Can-H Orange Blue
b) Can-L Orange Brown

Last edited by apoelistas; 12-06-2017 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by apoelistas
SO FOR A COMPLETE CAMERA FEATURES SUPPORT (guidelines, dynamic lines and optical illustration/radar) THIS IS THE SOLUTION (photo). For RS-1103M MANUFACTURER DOES NOT GIVE INFORMATION IF PINS 5-8 CAN ACCEPT ADDITIONAL CAN-H CAN-L CONNECTIONS FROM GATEWAY . Only one manufacturer sells such kit for radio concert non mmi. Model: NTV-KIT700..

I guess for simplicity of installation RS-1103M came with just 2 canbus cables instead of proper 4 (2 can cables from convenience (orange green/ orange brown) but also 2 can cables from infotainment (orange blue/orange brown) . I have shown that plugin to orange blue orange brown can cables we get radar (optical illustration on car overlay when reversing)

We need 2 additional can cables from interface to gateway or from canbus connector, but not sure where to plug those on the interface. we need schematics of empty Pins 5-8 from interface.

Please put some pressure on sellers/ manufacturer to give schematics of RS-1103M interface Can plug pin 5-8.
Pin 1 ACC
Pin 2 CAN-H Orange Green (note Chinese Man may use different colouring than Audi)
Pin 3 CAN-L Orange Brown
Pin 4 Ground

Where is Group from infotainment Can cables: Pin 5, Pin 6 Pin 7 Pin 8????
a) Can-H Orange Blue
b) Can-L Orange Brown

Have tried connection the additional two lines to the 8-PIN connector of the module already? I am facing the same issue here, neither guiding line nor radar image on my 2009 Audi A5.
I have the HVAC connector though. I was told to connect the trigger reverse cable to the reverse light signal though, don't see why I should get guiding lines then....
Old 12-06-2017, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by stevoboy
Have tried connection the additional two lines to the 8-PIN connector of the module already? I am facing the same issue here, neither guiding line nor radar image on my 2009 Audi A5.
I have the HVAC connector though. I was told to connect the trigger reverse cable to the reverse light signal though, don't see why I should get guiding lines then....
you need to enable guidelines on radio concert module 56 by vcds. byte 9 bit 2 activate.

here is the coding. The guidelines and dynamic guidelines are supported with the HVAC harness. trigger is for manual transmission and for gateway without canbus support. If you have the automatic with canbus you should not connect to the reverse trigger.

I have not done more tests because I dont know where to plug the CAN cable pins. I could plug 4 cables (pin 5-8) and test the 2 additional canbus cables by doing a combination test but I am not sure of the consequences. Maybe there is a risk associated with such test thus I prefer to have the information in hand before I proceed.

​​​

Last edited by apoelistas; 12-06-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

rez
Yes please do post some info on your install, very helpful to others.
By the way your statement "as soon as the weather warms up."' given your location - Cda - means we won't be hearing from you for a while unless you live on the "Left coast ?"
Old 12-06-2017, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
rez
Yes please do post some info on your install, very helpful to others.
By the way your statement "as soon as the weather warms up."' given your location - Cda - means we won't be hearing from you for a while unless you live on the "Left coast ?"
Rez started his thread here: Finally started today
and finished up here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post24822137
Old 12-06-2017, 02:34 PM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
Rez started his thread here: Finally started today
and finished up here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post24822137
Thanks Raj. Also have to give credit to some of the pointers I got from Raj and others. System has worked very well since installation with the exception of a relatively minor issue of the actuator switch becoming frozen - had a little help from local dealer after the shroud fell down and I broke the wires again. A little silicone spray freed up the sticking switch.

A couple of other points - although I've retained the audible sound as the vehicle nears an obstacles (back only), like Apo's initial experience I don't have the visual sonar indication - might be an issue that hardware on my vehicle does not support (did not even before camera install). In any case I find the warning sound combined with the camera is very effective as on a couple of occasions someone has darted into close proximity of the rear side of the bumper and the audio went off just a moment before I saw the person on the camera. It also assists with situational awareness as I also scan visually outside the car so lose eye contact with the screen for brief moments and the audible tone fills in.

Also notable is that although the lane markers on the screen turn with the steering wheel I find they're just a few inches shy of how wide the car actually is - especially when turning. Otherwise the quality of the camera is equal or better than most cars that I rent for business - even the most recent. Not bad for a system that's now 4ish years old.

Overall very pleased with the product.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks apoelistas!
I will do the coding tonight and try again. Strangely, the module already switches to rear view camera without the connection to the rear light cable in the trunk.
Is this cable necessary to activate the guiding lines only, like you write above?

Anyways, guidinglines are second priority to me as I have static guiding lines already. Therefore. I would be happy to deactivate them.
My focus is on the radar distance lines, since as soon as I switch to reverse the rear view camera is displayed. When I drive forward, I cannot see the guiding lines anymore.
You did your test by plugging in the two comfort CAN cable into PIN2 an PIN3 right? Thereby, you got radar distance lines, right? Did the steering wheel buttons and automatic switch to rear view CAM still work?

Quick Reply: Installed Rearview Camera Retrofit from Carsgadget.com (Pics)