Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Installed Rearview Camera Retrofit from Carsgadget.com (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well.. i don't even know where to post such a question, not even who has the system on manual trans. People usually don't write these stuff on forums.

Thank you.

Silver

Last edited by RKsilver; 07-16-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Seller
Car multimedia solution Store AliExpress, ask him for his WhatsApp. (I think his name was Chris)
Old 11-04-2018, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Apoelistas, any updates according to your retrofit ?

Maybe my problem is that, my car does not have extended can. Could that be the issue that lines to not move and steering wheel controls would not operate the rvc module ?

Last edited by RKsilver; 11-04-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

No.
I don't have extended can either and dynamic lines move when turning steering wheel.

My tests were done on latest revision firmwares and checking previous replies it seems that you also have latest firmwares.
​​​​​
The only firmware I did not find was the steering angle sensor firmware which was 13 instead of the latest 14. Audi did not make this firmware available (this is the second firmware not available in audi flashdaten). For this reason I purchased a new slip ring (latest revision ending with M) which supports more technologies (ACC etc), which I did not swap yet hoping that this may sort out the radar graphical display, though I believe the problem is the firmware of the back up camera interface which was designed for facelift support and not prefacelift. I also updated radio concert to firmware 0350 (from 0310) which was something I could not find in the past, but that also did not solve the radar graphical display not displaying on the small car (from back up interface) overlay when reversing. This firmware was only available with the purchase of original VCP diagnostic (so purchased that too).

I hope someone who has manual transmission can shed some light on this issue (dynamic lines not displaying).

Did not correct the wire pair which is missing from the brown CAN plug yet. (From radio) will try to see if I have 4 connector pins in order to complete this work. (Will cancel the wire from radio in order to test) that could also be the cause or source of the radar graphics not displaying onthe screen when reversing.

(Radio concert update took more than 3 hrs, gateway, electrical control module update, Parking control module, comfort unit, instrument cluster were also updated to latest firmware, also ecu and transmission). Most of them need manual method to update to latest firmware, but that is another trade I cultivated after purchasing my Q5. (VCP rather than odis). With VCP I am licenced to use , without getting into trouble if I decide to.

In few weeks I will not have any free time to work on my Q5, so future work will be postponed until further notice .

I guess this is what you get from Chinese technology. No support.​

Was sent at one time the latest firmware 2.3.1, which I tested, but nothing changed (from an Italian user). Maybe the configuration file for radarL for prefacelift should be different radarL@SPI.0x200000????? or ADMEN2.bin@SPI.0x120000 which was revised in 2016 (from ADMLCN.bin) I wish I knew what were the correct configuration numbers in order to correct the radar issue, if that was the issue.
update.cfg from text editor gives the following:

RS1103.bin@internal.0x08003000
lut@SPI.0x00000000
DVRCNL.bin@SPI.0x60000
ADRL.BIN@SPI.0x0500000
radarL@SPI.0x200000
//ADMLCN.bin@SPI.0x120000
ADMEN2.bin@SPI.0x120000

Update procedure: copy the file to SD card, insert the SD card into interface, and then connect and power up interface , after power up the interface, the green led light in the interface will be shinning (it's on updating ) after the green light turn to red light,the update is done

Just a reminder I tested a second brand interface which same seller sent, for testing purposes. He said it should work but did not. Same problem though that was also a very good quality interface.

To conclude this interface with the factory firmware
with Prefacelift :
Automatic: radar lines dont work (radar lines read from wrong CAN signal as seen in my tests). Firmware should be modified for prefacelift, though I should do two more tests in order to be sure that the firmware is the problem: a. Correct the radio Can wires to the Can brown plug, b. Swap to newer part the slip ring which comes with a revised angle sensor.
Manual: dynamic lines and radar lines dont work

With Facelift:
Automatic: all work. as reported by users.

Last edited by apoelistas; 11-06-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

"I guess this is what you get from Chinese technology. No support." Yes apoelistas they have a very different approach to customer service.If one of their citizens dared to complain they'd likely become a "government sponsored" organ donor.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
"I guess this is what you get from Chinese technology. No support." Yes apoelistas they have a very different approach to customer service.If one of their citizens dared to complain they'd likely become a "government sponsored" organ donor.
Oh blimey.

Actually this chinese seller at the beginning he was more than happy to find a solution. He sent me a second interface for free, different brand, in order to test, and he sent me the first generation cables too for 10 dollars which I preferred, since he advertised his interface with first gen cables but sent me newer gen instead (much better than second gen if modified with pins instead of using the supplied brown plug, however not plug and play). However on software/firmware aspect he could not help because he said development has stopped thus no actual support. Problems started when he refused to send me the firmware, which I got and tested from a different source from Italy (since I had a second interface if something went wrong, I tested but functionality remained the same)

The problem was who supports me?? I am not the manufacturer nor the software developer. This is why I have given all information I have in this thread hopping that a solution is found . If anyone thinks there is a firmware glitch and can find a solution let me know I can do further tests and if they work I will make the firmware public.

Second interface tested looks like the original Audi camera interface with MMI support. Same quality for me as RS1103, however more cables seems more fuss, but not really.

Not nice when you loose a feature (radar display from PDC) after an upgrade (camera interface add on).

Last edited by apoelistas; 11-06-2018 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Will try to do my last two checks for radar graphical display not working:
1. Move T46S can H &L pin 9 10 to pin 10 and 11 respectively. Dont believe that if I add the T17b 12 and 13 missing lines To T46s pin 9 (H &L) will make any difference.
2. Second would be to swap slip ring to latest available revision. (this is purchased but dont have time to test this out). The slip ring from facelift is now the upgraded slipring for B8 (PN: 8K0953568M)

Existing Diagrams and T46S connector.

After moving T46S Can H&L from pin 9 and 10 to pin 10 and 11. Unfortunately same result.

I will unfortunately conclude that we were not able to add radar sensor distance overlay from APS+ to display on the back up camera interface RS-1103 on our audi B8 cars. I have also tested a different interface with the same result. Only possibility was to change the back back up camera Can connection to a different group (T46s connector), however we loose the steering wheel dynamic moving lines. Might be a possibility that back up camera interface firmware is the issue or it is impossible for B8 to support both technologies due to being on different Can groups.

Last edited by apoelistas; 01-14-2019 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

hate to dig up an old thread but maybe some of you guys that have installed this kit can help me out. i just bought received my kit and theres no instructions (lucky me). i sent an email to carsgadget a few hours ago and got no response yet and im afraid i wont hear anything all weekend and i was hoping to get this done. anyway, im pretty good with these things and it seems straightforward for the most part. my only question is the wiring at the hatch with the new trunk release button/camera. it uses a single 4 wire connector vs the old style that had an rca video connector and power connector. theres 2 loose wires comming off the 4 wire connector at the hatch end, which i would assume would be power and ground for the camera. where do i connect these to? or are they left alone? the kit is advertised as completely plug and play so im a bit confused on that one. ive dug up the instructions for the old style kit which uses a video extension cable and has a power wire coming off of it which is pretty self explanatory. this kit does not have that. any help is appreciated. thank you.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by dannymk2
hate to dig up an old thread but maybe some of you guys that have installed this kit can help me out. i just bought received my kit and theres no instructions (lucky me). i sent an email to carsgadget a few hours ago and got no response yet and im afraid i wont hear anything all weekend and i was hoping to get this done. anyway, im pretty good with these things and it seems straightforward for the most part. my only question is the wiring at the hatch with the new trunk release button/camera. it uses a single 4 wire connector vs the old style that had an rca video connector and power connector. theres 2 loose wires comming off the 4 wire connector at the hatch end, which i would assume would be power and ground for the camera. where do i connect these to? or are they left alone? the kit is advertised as completely plug and play so im a bit confused on that one. ive dug up the instructions for the old style kit which uses a video extension cable and has a power wire coming off of it which is pretty self explanatory. this kit does not have that. any help is appreciated. thank you.

You should have a rear camera with just a 4 pin round connector. This gets attached to the corresponding 20ft cable 4 pin connector and at the other end is the RCA plug and 12V power wire that connects up front to the box. The 20ft is shown in the link below.

https://www.carsgadget.com/product-p...r-front-camera

Look at the photo of the camera backside in this link and your camera should look like that.

https://www.carsgadget.com/product-p...iew-camera-int

You should have received a password in the sales confirmation email to download the installation PDF.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 09-27-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
You should have a rear camera with just a 4 pin round connector. This gets attached to the corresponding 20ft cable 4 pin connector and at the other end is the RCA plug and 12V power wire that connects up front to the box. The 20ft is shown in the link below.

https://www.carsgadget.com/product-p...r-front-camera

Look at the photo of the camera backside in this link and your camera should look like that.

https://www.carsgadget.com/product-p...iew-camera-int

You should have received a password in the sales confirmation email to download the installation PDF.
thank you for your help. i checked my order confirmation and ship notifications, but no password.

anyway, you are correct. that is what my camera looks like and that is what my harness looks like. i understand that the rca connector and red wire connect at the radio into the RVC module and that the 4 pin connector on the 20' harness is what attaches to the camera. its hard to tell from the picture on the site but if you follow the cable on the 20' harness, starting at the 4 pin connector, youll see it runs into what looks like a ferrite core. once it comes out of the ferrite core there are red and black wires, along with the video wire. those red and black wires are only about 5 feet long. what im looking to find out is what to do with those 2 wires.

Quick Reply: Installed Rearview Camera Retrofit from Carsgadget.com (Pics)