Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Installing the Audi Entertainment mobile

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing the Audi Entertainment mobile

I just bought one set of the Audi entertainment mobile part number 4G0051700 and holder part number 4G0063747

My 2011 Q5 doesn't seem to have the plastic bracket at the back of the seat to attach the holder into, I think I am missing the 9WQ / 9WM pre installation? There is absolutely no info online about this part, how long to instal or how much would it cost at a dealer?

Anybody has installed these DVD players?

Thanks
Old 09-20-2015, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

8R0051700A

Old 09-21-2015, 12:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for that, it looks exactly what I need, Im searching online to find one, although seeing some catalog photos my seat looks a little bit different, I'm not so sure there is space for the plate,or perhaps it is compatible ?

Installing the Audi Entertainment mobile-dwieuf7.jpg
Old 09-28-2015, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thought to give an update.

Dealer is quoting me around 350 USD for the kit plus around 5 hours of labor to have it fitted. Around 900 USD per seat! Not including anything else.

Anyone knows where I can get this part cheaper, or more important, a manual on how to do the job?
Old 09-29-2015, 01:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might consider an iPad or similar. At that price point, installing a DVD is kinda taking a technical leap backwards. I doubt you'd recoup any costs at resale and the iPad/tablet can be moved from car to car, replaceable if broken and likely much cheaper. You could invest some coin in some nice headrest tablet attachment and could possibly stream the Audio through the incar speakers. Picture quality would be superior and tablets could be used as Ebooks, gaming, camera and viewer, way more options even if you splashed for the latest tablets/iPads with gigs of memory. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Originally Posted by idefix
Thought to give an update.

Dealer is quoting me around 350 USD for the kit plus around 5 hours of labor to have it fitted. Around 900 USD per seat! Not including anything else.

Anyone knows where I can get this part cheaper, or more important, a manual on how to do the job?
Old 09-30-2015, 01:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81CS2DJYbqL._SL1500_.jpg

There are loads of these type dvd players out there for < $50.00. And they usually come with a carry case that can be set up to support it on a seat back. Case Logic also sells a strap system that supports one of these players between the front seats facing rear.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I bought the whole kit from ebay and now I will try to install it myself.

In the instructions, there is a relay that needs to be hooked up directly on to the car battery. Meaning, one wire harness needs to be sent all the way to the engine bay, relay in the seat and than hooked up to the 12V cable of the DVD.

Now, the 12V cable has only live and neutral, nothing more. Why can't I just simply connect it on the cigarette plug nearby that can save me the hassle of bringing the harness to the engine bay? Is this relay absolutely necessary? I don't see why would it be, the cigar plug shuts off automatic when the key is out, so it won't drain the battery. I imagine they have hooked it up on a relay not to load the cabin circuit but I don't see why it wouldn't hold let's say 1 GPS and 1 DVD on the the existent installation.

Any thoughts on how to tackle this? It will be appreciated.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

My honest opinion would be to put the item back on ebay and go with post #5!
Old 02-13-2017, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Entertaiment

what I can say... I have 2012 Audi Q7
I bought OEM Audi DVD (monitors on eBay) without any harness, templates and instructions and...
I had also big problem to install it after that. I was trying to find someone to install it, I spoke with Audi dealer about installation and they wasn't too interested, but finally quoted about $800 per piece plus cost of harness (additional $600/pc)! what don't make any sense!!

so one day I decided to do it by myself. and I installed all by my self, DVD on the rear seats without that OEM wires!
I just took power supply from (connect to) cigarette and all works great. the only thing is I have power all the time, DVD works even when engine is off (what is okay, even better). my kids know to turn off when going out from the car and no issues at all.

don't spend extra money for that extra parts if you don't have to! you can get 8' of simple wire for few $$ and just do it.

good luck!
Old 02-13-2017, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by faldi
what I can say... I have 2012 Audi Q7
I bought OEM Audi DVD (monitors on eBay) without any harness, templates and instructions and...
I had also big problem to install it after that. I was trying to find someone to install it, I spoke with Audi dealer about installation and they wasn't too interested, but finally quoted about $800 per piece plus cost of harness (additional $600/pc)! what don't make any sense!!

so one day I decided to do it by myself. and I installed all by my self, DVD on the rear seats without that OEM wires!
I just took power supply from (connect to) cigarette and all works great. the only thing is I have power all the time, DVD works even when engine is off (what is okay, even better). my kids know to turn off when going out from the car and no issues at all.

don't spend extra money for that extra parts if you don't have to! you can get 8' of simple wire for few $$ and just do it.

good luck!
Hi there!

This is exactly what I did! I haven't had time to make photos and update the thread. I installed it myself, instead to hard wire it to the battery I made a cigarette plug which powers it no problem. When I turn off the car the monitors turn off as well, your sockets must be live all the time.

Cheers