Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Interesting Launch Control observation

Old 01-03-2016, 09:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting Launch Control observation

As a fan of launch control, I've noticed something interesting. My SQ5 is a CPO with 35K miles, and I must've used LC about 20 times now. However, this morning when trying it I noticed that although the car launches just fine the shift behavior (aggressive shift when using LC) has changed, it just shifts normally. I read in this forum and others that supposedly there is no LC limit on the ZF8 speed, but after trying it a few more times the aggressive shift is gone.

Could I have hit the 200 LC limit? I didn't think the ZF8 would have such a limit as the DSG did.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hcw5733
As a fan of launch control, I've noticed something interesting. My SQ5 is a CPO with 35K miles, and I must've used LC about 20 times now. However, this morning when trying it I noticed that although the car launches just fine the shift behavior (aggressive shift when using LC) has changed, it just shifts normally. I read in this forum and others that supposedly there is no LC limit on the ZF8 speed, but after trying it a few more times the aggressive shift is gone.

Could I have hit the 200 LC limit? I didn't think the ZF8 would have such a limit as the DSG did.
Didn't know the SQ5 has LC, how's it activated?
Old 01-03-2016, 11:33 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

I think this has been discussed at length. The US SQ5 with ZF 8 speed does not have launch control.
If you preload the engine against the brakes you can get the very aggressive shifts you mentioned, but no breakneck launch like an s-tronic car.
Now, as to why yours did not do the very aggressive shifts that could be many things. Traction control in "off-road", dynamic mode, engine and transmission up to temp, steering wheel straight, maybe a coule other prerequisites.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by truwarrior22
Didn't know the SQ5 has LC, how's it activated?
Indeed, and it is very fun. The manual refers to it as launch control but it's not launch control in the sense of how it is with DSG equipped cars, if anything it's really just a way to make the shifts more aggressive:

Old 01-03-2016, 12:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Indeed, I haven't done anything different these times around and couldn't find any error codes during scans so I wonder if there is some form of limit or if any other fellow SQ5 owners have encountered something similar.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by hcw5733
Indeed, and it is very fun. The manual refers to it as launch control but it's not launch control in the sense of how it is with DSG equipped cars, if anything it's really just a way to make the shifts more aggressive:
DSG - for VW model

S-tronic for Audi
Old 01-03-2016, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
I think this has been discussed at length. The US SQ5 with ZF 8 speed does not have launch control.
If you preload the engine against the brakes you can get the very aggressive shifts you mentioned, but no breakneck launch like an s-tronic car.
Now, as to why yours did not do the very aggressive shifts that could be many things. Traction control in "off-road", dynamic mode, engine and transmission up to temp, steering wheel straight, maybe a coule other prerequisites.
According to Audi launch control exists in all models with automatic gearboxes
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post24520336

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...owing-2870483/

Last edited by spijun; 01-03-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:52 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
According to Audi launch control exists in all models with automatic gearboxes
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post24520336

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...owing-2870483/
Sadly Audi literature sometimes is wrong or misleading. Remember I am only referencing US models. Since I have a US SQ5 and an S6 and previously an S4 and have had them all at the strip I am telling you the US SQ5 does not have launch control like on the S-tronic equipped vehicles. It does preload against the brakes/torque converter and perform the very aggressive shifts no doubt, but it is by no means conventional launch control. It's basically just a way to allow the brake and gas to be pressed at the same time which under normal operation would not be allowed to happen.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gk1 is correct. All it;s doing is brake torqueing the converter and bringing up RPMS, then accelerating. It does however COMPLETELY change the shifting of the transmission. So there is some differences there.

True launch control will bring the RPMs up, typically btw 3K - 4K and doesn't brake torque like vehicles with traditional torque converters.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't know where the true definition of what is and what is not launch control is written, but I do know that there is logic in the transmission to only let the revs get to 3000 with the brake depressed, and then ramp up to redline before each shift. (Traction control off and tranny in S)If you aren't getting a a better launch than simply trompin on the go pedal, something is wrong. It's basically a controlled version of what we used to call brake reving back in the day....something pretty much anybody who's done any drag racing is quite familiar with. It's also of note that the Jeep SRT, also with the ZF transmission clearly promotes their version of launch control, only their version is "push button"

Originally Posted by gk1
Sadly Audi literature sometimes is wrong or misleading. Remember I am only referencing US models. Since I have a US SQ5 and an S6 and previously an S4 and have had them all at the strip I am telling you the US SQ5 does not have launch control like on the S-tronic equipped vehicles. It does preload against the brakes/torque converter and perform the very aggressive shifts no doubt, but it is by no means conventional launch control. It's basically just a way to allow the brake and gas to be pressed at the same time which under normal operation would not be allowed to happen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interesting Launch Control observation