Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Order a 2014 Q5, but have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Order a 2014 Q5, but have a few questions

Hello,

I ordered the following vehicle today:
  • 2.0T Technik
  • Moonlight Blue
  • Chestnet Brown interior
  • S-Line Sport Package
  • 20" wheel upgrade
  • Navigation Package with Parking System

However I had a question about the Xylon coating for $800. I purchased this, but had never heard of it before. Has anyone else had positive/negative experiences with this? It is a coating applied to the paint, interior, and the wheels. I believe my salesman said it is warrantied for 10 years. I would appreciate any input on this item.

Also, I am having second thoughts about the 20" 155/45 5 spoke wheels. I currently have an 2011 A4 Avant with 18" and my parents complain about the low profile wheels, as they were expensive to replace, have a bumpier ride, and are more prone to damage. I am buying this car for them, but would keeping the standard 19" 5-arm star S-line design wheels make that much of a difference?

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2013, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Coating= Snake oil. You are basically buying a warranty. As far as the 20 inch tires go. I think you will be fine. The Q will have a taller side wall than your A4. I had 19's on my S5 and have 21's on my SQ5 and they ride better than the 19's

Last edited by JBDinTX; 12-21-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Xylon coating - this is not an "Audi" product but probably a third party service provider to the dealership you are purchasing the car from.

Your dealer is making a nice commission on the job and will do everything to convince you otherwise but as JBDinTX rightly says - SNAKE OIL!

Don't waste your $800 on this. Rather add a few small options to your car and buy a set of quality car care products including a wax when your car arrives. A good coat of wax every 3-4 months is far better than most of the "wonderfully" named "coatings" that will in reality, usually provide little genuine benefit over an off the shelf wax from a quality brand.

On the wheels, I have 20's on the car all year round and in the land where I live, the roads are not always the best. I even do some dirt road driving on occasion and neither my passengers nor I have ever had reason to complain. I have standard suspension. My previous Q5 had 18' wheels and while there is a slight difference in firmness, it is so minor as not to be an issue. I stopped noticing the difference after a few km's.

Last edited by GregH; 12-21-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Dealer 3rd party offerings like protective paint protection applications and films. etc are almost always way more expensive and often of lower quality than having it done on your own. If you want to protect your car's finish, consider taking your car to a detailer that works with Opti-Coat Pro. It's a permanent paint protection that works against UV and environmental damage and alleviates the need for waxing. CQuartz is another but requires recurring applications every few years. Opti-Coat w/labor should cost less than half of what the dealer is charging.

Also, if you are interested in preventing rock chips, look into a protective film like the highly rated Xpel Ultimate, again installed by a reputable detailer. You can get a bra or a whole front end done. There are many AW threads on both and lots of info and reviews available on the internet. In any case, cancel that Xylon stuff offered by the dealer - even if it worked and lasted for 3 years, it's ridiculously overpriced.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the advice, but I ended up going with the coating anyway. There is a coating applied to the leather and wheels as well, so hopefully there will not be as much brake dust as I have with my A4. 10 year warranty comes with it that covers both the leather and the paint.

I have the winter package on at the moment, so unfortunately I will not see the beautiful summer wheels for another couple months. I am so happy to have two quattros in the garage now!
Attached Images   
Old 01-16-2014, 08:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have driven one wiht 19 inch tires and liked it. I wold not be willing to get the 20 inch. More wight, smaller tire sidewall = changed ride. Maybe I will like it, maybe not. For me, not worth the risk.

When I buy my Q5, it will be with the 18 inch wheels. Or if I cannot get those, then the 19, which I have driven and liked. But it will not be the 20. Keep in mind one thing. I am a nut