Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:
Old 08-09-2016, 09:22 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Interior LED swap DIY with Pics

Old 07-12-2015, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Many thanks to OP for step by step. The rear map lights had me concerned about the pressure required to prise them out until I saw they just required a clip to be pushed in! I installed 6000k LEDs from a set from Aliexpress I got for $40 for 22 lamps.. All working perfectly and as I have a glacier white I went for that slightly bluer tinge on the 6000k. Looks great.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper View Post
nice and bright! but I got mine for less then 30 lol
Same here done from Ebay. I do have a question. I would like brighter foot well LEDs, any suggestions?
Old 07-14-2015, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Unfortunately my footwells from deAuto did not fit (they sent a different pair as well) properly, however everything else worked perfectly.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am looking to change the interior lights on my Q7, can someone tell me which lights(specification or an ebay link) should i get. Thanks
Old 09-16-2015, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NorthValley View Post
Many thanks to OP for step by step. The rear map lights had me concerned about the pressure required to prise them out until I saw they just required a clip to be pushed in! I installed 6000k LEDs from a set from Aliexpress I got for $40 for 22 lamps.. All working perfectly and as I have a glacier white I went for that slightly bluer tinge on the 6000k. Looks great.
hi. did you get any error messages with those LEDs from Aliexpress? if so, what did you do to correct them? thanks in advance for your reply.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

You don't get error messages for interior lamps.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Steppenaudi View Post
I'm in the process of putting in the Turnerdomes LED lights, and I was disappointed to find that many of the lightbulb holders have a black plastic housing. I bought some aluminum tape from a hardware store (heating duct supplies) and lined mine to be more reflective:

Note where I stopped the tape in the second image. Going onto the flat portion of the lightbulb holder will short out the light connections!

I expect I'll get at least 50% more light out of the new LED upgrades with this tweak, seeing as the LED inserts have light elements on both sides. Why shine an LED into a black box?
I realize I'm digging up an old thread, but if I'm digging around and found it today someone later may be in the same boat.

I had the same concerns when I used LED's in my A4 (same fixtures). Instead of modifying the housings, I found better bulbs for the task. These only project light in one direction, so no light/energy will be wasted pointed at the black housing:
http://a.co/5Qd8SSv

With the bulbs being directional, if they don't light you may have to switch the wires around (since flipping these bulbs is not helpful). On my A4 I got lucky and these happened to be the same orientation as all of the stock wiring.

I'm 3 years in running these daily with no issues nor concerns, and I'm about to order several more for my recently purchased 2014 Q5 hybrid.

Side notes for people tackling this for the first time:
-I'd recommend ordering the red option for the red door markers, as LED bulb colors should be matched to the lens color when available (more efficient with less heat generated).
-Also don't order these exclusively for your T10 needs. These would make terrible map lights.
-Try to avoid CANbus bulbs as the interior lights aren't monitored and these would only waste power. They essentially burn power through a resistor so it "feels" like a conventional bulb to the car. Think of it as upgrading from a Prius to a S4, then adding a parachute out back to help you "feel" like you're still in a Prius.
-Do a little research and planning to customize your interior much nicer for 1/10th the cost of the kits.