Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction

Hello,

I wanted to join and introduce myself as I have used some threads as research on some recent repairs. My wife has a 2012 Audi Q5. I typically drive american cars. The electronic parking brake threw me for a loop when I did the rear brakes. I got it figured out. Now I am doing a wheel bearing and more of a learning curve again. The of the bearing bolts were stripped from installation by the last person. I have been pounding on the bearing/hub trying to get it to come out. I ran out of time but I am now thinking taking the steering knuckle out is probably the best option.

Thanks again and look forward to reading and researching as I learn about Audi's.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with the project.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

pktrusty "now thinking taking the steering knuckle out is probably the best option." If it was mine that would be my last option it will lead you to have to deal with the dreaded "TOP BOLT" if you're in a moderate climate with little corrosion then it might go Ok.I assume you've figured out the bearing housing bolts ? Try some heat - Map gas is good and a cold chisel between the housing and the knuckle.Best is an air hammer but you probably don't have one of those ?
How are you planning on pressing/pulling the hub out of the bearing ? Perhaps you've bought a complete assembly ?
Old 02-28-2019, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
pktrusty "now thinking taking the steering knuckle out is probably the best option." If it was mine that would be my last option it will lead you to have to deal with the dreaded "TOP BOLT" if you're in a moderate climate with little corrosion then it might go Ok.I assume you've figured out the bearing housing bolts ? Try some heat - Map gas is good and a cold chisel between the housing and the knuckle.Best is an air hammer but you probably don't have one of those ?
How are you planning on pressing/pulling the hub out of the bearing ? Perhaps you've bought a complete assembly ?
I had to use easy outs on the bolts. The first easy out I used snapped so one of the bolts was difficult to remove but the rest were pretty easy.

I have to say this car is different. It has like four ball joints (Upper is split into to and lower too) plus the tie rod end. I loosed the top of the steering knuckle and the upper ball joints were stuck pretty good. Before I went to town with a ball joint fork, I tightened it back up and decided I wanted to get the bearing out. My concern was that I would pull the hub out and still have to take the knuckle off to press the bearing out.

I tried pounding on it, thread connector and bolt between the knuckle and hub to try and push it out.I tried a few other things before I went to the store and rented a slide bearing puller. I also bought a 6" bolt in the M12 x 1.5 that matched the bearing thread. I turned the wheel to create space and pounded on the bolt once it was screwed into the bearing. I got it out and didn't need the bearing puller.

I am having a shop press out the hub and put it in the new bearing today. Should have it back together today.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

A bit of advise too. I had been using PB blaster and WD40 but I actually think brake cleaner did a better job of loosening things up.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Yeah I didn't mention the slide hammer.It works but after years of using one quite regularly my forearms, elbows, and shoulders tell my brain to forget about that method.Smart move on getting a shop to press out/in the hub.Re-assembly should be a piece of cake.