Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

iPhone and Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanjbrown

So the moral of the story is: It SHOULD work THIS way but might ALSO work THAT way and PERIODICALLY will work the OTHER way.

Problem solved!
Awe man, I love that. I think I'm going to blow that one up and hang it in my office. It's great. 👍
F***ing make my day!

I think I'm gonna also give it to my audio guy who can't fix the problem of my tv mysteriously turning itself off then back on. Sorry for the off topic.

Happy 4th. I'll try and mess with the phone and car more tomorrow.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Isn't this due to the phone bring connected via Bluetooth and it streams both phone calls and music/notifications as well?

I run my iPhone connected via Bluetooth, play my iPod via MMI connection, and leave the screen on the NAV menu.
This way I get my phone calls thru MMI. To get notification and system sounds back on.. Flick up from the bottom of the screen to pull up/out the control center panel. Toward the bottom on the screen should say AirPlay when you're on Bluetooth.. Press that and then choose iPhone, then all your sounds would come out thru iPhone speakers and still have your phone calls thru MMI
Old 07-05-2014, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jack-e-son
Isn't this due to the phone bring connected via Bluetooth and it streams both phone calls and music/notifications as well?

I run my iPhone connected via Bluetooth, play my iPod via MMI connection, and leave the screen on the NAV menu.
This way I get my phone calls thru MMI. To get notification and system sounds back on.. Flick up from the bottom of the screen to pull up/out the control center panel. Toward the bottom on the screen should say AirPlay when you're on Bluetooth.. Press that and then choose iPhone, then all your sounds would come out thru iPhone speakers and still have your phone calls thru MMI
Yeah, started to mess around with the air play option on the iPhone yesterday as I did not even know it was there before Nathan posted. I never had to change anything to hear the sounds on my phone while bluetoothed. If I switch from the car to the phone on the airplay option the sounds do revert back to my phone. However, it also makes the phone disappear as an option in the media source section of the mmi, which I guess makes sense if one is switching from car to phone in airplay. The only other strange thing that happens to mmi before my sounds disappeared was that the day before I noticed the volume indicator in the mmi flash a few times "not available" while I was driving around not listening to anything. Also now, if I get in my car and the phone Bluetooth is off, the car continuously searches for it and says something like searching in the window above the speedo. I've never had that before either.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, so we re-activated our wifi in the car the other week, do I decided to try that option with 'air play' to see if I can get the notification sounds back through my iPhone while still connected via blue tooth. And it worked!! So, not sure if the wifi needs to be active or not, but once you select 'iPhone' in the 'air play' option of the phone, all text message sounds and what not work on the iPhone again. Go figure!
Old 07-20-2014, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jbbarrette
Ok, so we re-activated our wifi in the car the other week, do I decided to try that option with 'air play' to see if I can get the notification sounds back through my iPhone while still connected via blue tooth. And it worked!! So, not sure if the wifi needs to be active or not, but once you select 'iPhone' in the 'air play' option of the phone, all text message sounds and what not work on the iPhone again. Go figure!
When you pick your phone in airplay, it gets removed as a media source in the mmi, so don't forget to put it back if you want to stream music from the phone.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

so I got the phone to behave as before and can hear all my notifications when blue toothed to the car. I guess I had somehow enabled my phone in the mmi as a source for audio in the bluetooth settings. if I turn off the phone setting in the mmi, allow as audio player, I can once again hear all notifications when the phone is blue toothed to the car. However to stream music - which I do not do very often as i use my iPod - the setting needs to be turned back on.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good to know! Thanks for reporting back.

Originally Posted by Mrchntmarine
so I got the phone to behave as before and can hear all my notifications when blue toothed to the car. I guess I had somehow enabled my phone in the mmi as a source for audio in the bluetooth settings. if I turn off the phone setting in the mmi, allow as audio player, I can once again hear all notifications when the phone is blue toothed to the car. However to stream music - which I do not do very often as i use my iPod - the setting needs to be turned back on.