Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Just bought low mile 2016 3.0T have a few q's

Old 04-28-2017, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

There's an interesting thread about piggyback tuners (Chipwerke) on AZ that seem to deliver some punch while being undiscoverable for td1 when removed. They aren't like a permanent tune but they do positively affect performance. The 3.0 tsfi engine is one of its best applications.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on what @BlackSVT posted.

For TD1, I'd highly recommend taking a read through of this thread. There's really no "dealer must prove your modification caused the failure" protection when it come to ECU tunes. If they flag you as tuned, your powertrain warranty is gone. I can't disagree with that either given most tunes are adding at least 100 hp. That being said, the 3.0T is pretty close to bulletproof up to a basic stage 2 tune.

For intakes, most honestly don't make any more power than just changing filters, buying a throttle body inlet hose, and cutting a few strategic holes in the stock air box. I just picked up a used APR Carbonio intake, but I definitely wouldn't have spent the money on one for full price.

Last edited by riceboy22; 04-29-2017 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a tune on my 14 TDI and a Chipwerke module on my wife's 14 TDI. Mine is a little smoother, but hers is just as fast if not faster. If I had to do it again I'd spend less and buy the module for mine too.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryT
I have a tune on my 14 TDI and a Chipwerke module on my wife's 14 TDI. Mine is a little smoother, but hers is just as fast if not faster. If I had to do it again I'd spend less and buy the module for mine too.
How's the fuel mileage with the piggyback box?

Grey
Old 04-29-2017, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 3.0T with Filter and 034Motorsport intake tube, 034Motorsport drivetrain set, EPL Stage 2 Tune(in the work). I used to have the Chipwerke but can't pass up a good deal on EPL.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My Chipwerke thread at 3,000 miles on new Q5 3.0T. Good power gains. A bit rough around the edges, especially at part throttle shifting. But a good option to avoid TD1. I'll probably go EPL when I get to 10,000 miles or so. For now it is a beneficial first power upgrade.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...-tune-2914673/
Old 05-05-2017, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

After not a lot of lurking over on the zine, I have decided EPL is the way to go. Huge following a lots of tunes out there running well for people and you can switch back to stock yourself whenever you need to avoid TD1. I am not going past stage 1. The car actually has good power as it is and it's my wife's DD but I want more anyway and it looks to me like Stage 1 is perfectly safe. The only other part I am debating is a catch can and then eventually next year wheels and tires. I have the peelers which I really like but would prefer for summer something lighter and better looking with more aggressive rubber. Time for a separate thread.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Do the 3.0Ts need a catch can? I thought that was more of a 2.0T thing?
Old 05-05-2017, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Speedooooo
Do the 3.0Ts need a catch can? I thought that was more of a 2.0T thing?
A valid question for sure. Power adder cars I thought always benefited from keeping that crud out of the intake path and the A/F mixture.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BierJager
After not a lot of lurking over on the zine, I have decided EPL is the way to go. Huge following a lots of tunes out there running well for people and you can switch back to stock yourself whenever you need to avoid TD1. I am not going past stage 1. The car actually has good power as it is and it's my wife's DD but I want more anyway and it looks to me like Stage 1 is perfectly safe. The only other part I am debating is a catch can and then eventually next year wheels and tires. I have the peelers which I really like but would prefer for summer something lighter and better looking with more aggressive rubber. Time for a separate thread.
Funny, I seem to be in a very similar boat as you. 2013 Q5 3.0T, wifes DD, had the Chipwerke last year for a couple of months. Ran best 13.35 with it compared to 14.2 stock. I had a good experience with it, but I knew I was going to go get a Stage 1 tune eventually so I sold it last fall. I ordered a Stage 1 from EPL a couple of weeks ago. I am just waiting to go in to my dealer for some recalls, including an ECM update.

I choose EPL based on forum feedback, price and flash at home with their cable. It was between them and Unitronic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just bought low mile 2016 3.0T have a few q's