Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Just ordered 2016 SQ5 - have questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 04:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered 2016 SQ5 - GOT IT (pics)

Hi.. I'm new here to this forum and I'm looking forward to chatting and learning about this obsession with the SQ5.

I bit the bullet and ordered mine last week. I was very excited today when I received the confirmation email that the factory accepted my order.

Your 2016 SQ5 Premium Plus 3.0 TFSI
Exterior: moonlight blue metallic
Interior: black fine Nappa leather with diamond stitching
Wheels: 20" Audi Sport 5-V-spoke design titanium wheel with 255/45 summer tires1

As you can see I did not got with the Tech Package. My question is, what exactly comes in its place as far as audio is concerned? Right now I drive a 2012 VW GTI that doesn't have an upgraded "tech" package either. However, it does have Bluetooth audio. I'm hoping the basic/standard audio package I get with at least have Bluetooth audio capabilities. Can someone tell me, or take a picture of their Q5/SQ5 dash that DOES NOT have the tech package?

Last edited by Critter1; 04-30-2016 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Editing the thread title...
Old 01-28-2016, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Basic AM/FM. I believe a CD player and the Audi Music interface to hook up your media player. No SD cards, no Bluetooth and no useful voice command. It's pretty bare. The rotary **** and everything will be above the climate controls instead of down by the shifter. The display is smaller and has less resolution and the display between the gauges will be monochrome and very basic. You also won't get the Audi Drive Select Individual mode to configure your own personal profile.

Minor clarification. You get Bluetooth hands free calling, but not Bluetooth Audio streaming.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-28-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think I've found it.. Is this what the basic/standard audio will look like?
I find it strange that the dealership had NO cars without the tech package...

Name:  2016_audi_q5_instrumentpanel.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  40.3 KB

Name:  2016_audi_q5_audiosystem.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  46.1 KB

Name:  2016_audi_q5_tempcontrol.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  40.7 KB
Old 01-28-2016, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

"TEL" It has BlueTooth!
Old 01-28-2016, 07:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
"TEL" It has BlueTooth!
Thanks Jim.. I saw that, but I was hoping/wondering if it'd have Bluetooth audio streaming as well.

I'm sure there's an upgrade that can be done to gain BT audio streaming with the standard package. Hmmm I sure wish the dealership had both options side by side so I could compare. I just feel that for the cost of the "tech package" I wouldn't utilize everything it comes with.. or I just wouldn't miss certain functions if I didn't have them. I guess I have a decision to make.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default It does have a SD card slot.

Originally Posted by superswiss
Basic AM/FM. I believe a CD player and the Audi Music interface to hook up your media player. No SD cards, no Bluetooth and no useful voice command. It's pretty bare. The rotary **** and everything will be above the climate controls instead of down by the shifter. The display is smaller and has less resolution and the display between the gauges will be monochrome and very basic. You also won't get the Audi Drive Select Individual mode to configure your own personal profile.

Minor clarification. You get Bluetooth hands free calling, but not Bluetooth Audio streaming.
That has been standard since 2014.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just went to the Audi USA website and took a look at the features of the Audi SQ5 Prestige Plus. Here's what it says for the audio system:
Audi Concert Radio with 10 speakers and single CD player with MP3 playback capability
Audi Music Interface (AMI) with IPOD Integration
Bluetooth wirelesss technology preparation for mobile phones

So, to answer your question, it will be quite similarly equipped as your 2012 GTI w/o NAV (or Tech Pack) and your console will look like to photos you posted above.

It also includes Audi Drive Select. I am guessing that it will only provide control choices for engine throttle response and tranny shift characteristics.

In case you are wondering what you are missing by not choosing the Tech Pack, here is a quick run-down:
MMI NAV Plus (NAV plus the larger color LCD display and the MMI controls below the shifter)
Bang and Olufsen Sound System (upgrade to the Audi Concert System)
DVD player (upgrade to the CD only player)
HD Radio
Audi Connect
Voice Control (btw, our MK6 GTI's came with Voice control even without NAV)
Audi Side Assist
Parking System Plus with Rear View Camera including front and rear acoustic sensors

In my opinion, if I were to order a SQ5 with Prestige Plus Package, I will include the Tech Pack simply because 5 to 10 years down the road, NAV and some form of driving assistance features will be beneficial to the resale desireability & value of your SQ5. A SUV at the level of a SQ5 is expected to be equipped with the Tech Pack. That is the reason why all SQ5's an Audi dealer will order for their stock is equipped with the Tech Pack. It is also true here in Canada. It is rare, if not non-existent, to find a SQ5 without the Tech Pack in stock in dealerships.

If it is in your budget, I recommend that you consider getting the Tech Pack to future-proof your SQ5. If you do not care about NAV or Audi Connect, at least, take advantage of Audi Side Assist and Audi Parking Plus System with Rear View Camera which I find very, very useful.

BTW, I placed an order for a S5 not a SQ5. However, I chose the version of S5 with the NAV for the reasons I mentioned above. Also, I feel that a S5 without MMI seems incomplete. But, I understand your choice especially if you need to be within a budget. At least, you get to own a SQ5!

Last edited by plat27265; 01-28-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Critter1
Thanks Jim.. I saw that, but I was hoping/wondering if it'd have Bluetooth audio streaming as well.

I'm sure there's an upgrade that can be done to gain BT audio streaming with the standard package. Hmmm I sure wish the dealership had both options side by side so I could compare. I just feel that for the cost of the "tech package" I wouldn't utilize everything it comes with.. or I just wouldn't miss certain functions if I didn't have them. I guess I have a decision to make.
There are aftermarket products that utilize the Audi music interface to add Bluetooth Audio. But as said as far as factory capability is concerned, you do get phone Bluetooth functionality, but no Bluetooth Audio.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

It will have the "Audi Drive Select" button and only one SD card slot. No Bluetooth streaming (however there's a solution/adapter for that). No backup camera.

You can't get the B&O sound system separately with the tech package anymore.

If I were you I'd get the tech package ($3900). It's not too late to change your order. It will help with the resale value.

Last edited by Ray_QT; 01-28-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Plat.. Thanks for the detailed answer! Pretty much exactly the info/advice I was looking for.

Quick Reply: Just ordered 2016 SQ5 - have questions