Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Just replaced the blower motor

Old 09-29-2018, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just replaced the blower motor

...in my '12 PP 3.2. I was having this intermittent issue of the blower "sticking" and nothing coming from any vents on any setting. I removed the cowl and was able to free it by hand a few times, but finally decided to replace. Based on the code I was getting, it was the blower motor and not the control module. 30min and the install was complete, one of the easiest jobs I've done on any car.

My issue is when I removed the old blower, I turned it upside down and got a decent amount of water out of it. No water on passenger side floor, only the foam around the blower motor was spot wet. (The shaft has typical rust at the top of the "hamster wheel", but nothing else appeared rusted or tarnished for that matter. I also haven't had a chance to open the old unit up yet.) I checked the seal at the intake duct under the hood and didn't find any leaks or where water could penetrate. How else can water enter the blower? When searching for part numbers, I found a Water Deflector p/n 8R1819979 that is available but was not stock on my Q5. What vehicles did this come with? It seems that if this is available, this would be the fix. Anyone have similar issues? Just curious where else I should be looking. I don't want to have the same thing happen to the new blower.

Thank you,
Old 09-29-2018, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by KDuniverse
...in my '12 PP 3.2. I was having this intermittent issue of the blower "sticking" and nothing coming from any vents on any setting. I removed the cowl and was able to free it by hand a few times, but finally decided to replace. Based on the code I was getting, it was the blower motor and not the control module. 30min and the install was complete, one of the easiest jobs I've done on any car.

My issue is when I removed the old blower, I turned it upside down and got a decent amount of water out of it. No water on passenger side floor, only the foam around the blower motor was spot wet. (The shaft has typical rust at the top of the "hamster wheel", but nothing else appeared rusted or tarnished for that matter. I also haven't had a chance to open the old unit up yet.) I checked the seal at the intake duct under the hood and didn't find any leaks or where water could penetrate. How else can water enter the blower? When searching for part numbers, I found a Water Deflector p/n 8R1819979 that is available but was not stock on my Q5. What vehicles did this come with? It seems that if this is available, this would be the fix. Anyone have similar issues? Just curious where else I should be looking. I don't want to have the same thing happen to the new blower.

Thank you,
With the hybrid only.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

One off topic question. Do you see the siren (alarm) under the air box just before the Air blower motor?
Old 09-30-2018, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So, that water deflector only comes on Hybrid models?

No, did not see the siren. I thought that was under the hood somewhere.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by KDuniverse
So, that water deflector only comes on Hybrid models?

No, did not see the siren. I thought that was under the hood somewhere.
For the prefacelift it seems like it, PR-0K1 vehicles. It seems that there are two types of hybrid. This is applicable to hybrid propulsion system and not hybrid drive. I did not check for facelift Q5.
​​Not saying that you should not retrofit this. If you do try to retrofit this please post photos. Make a note that for the hybrid propulsion system (PR-0K1) the foliage grille part is different in addition. (there are no RHD Q5s with hybrid propulsion system)

Siren is hidden under this airbox I believe.

Last edited by apoelistas; 10-01-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Similar experience here with at 2011 PP Q5 and about 96,000 miles. Blower stopped working. I found leaves and pine tree needles stuck in the hood hinge areas. Found more in the plenum chamber area underneath the large cover between the hood hinges. Found this in the Audi Maintenance Procedures: "Deposits in the plenum chamber (Leaves, tree needles, etc...) can negatively affect water drain. This can raise the water level (for example, at the car wash or during heavy precipitation) and water can seep into the vehicle interior via the grommets and the fresh air intake shaft."

I easily removed the plastic grate (#4 in the last picture below) that covers the duct and I could spin the blower motor by hand. It was sticking at first and then freed up: the blower now works (for now). I was able to clean more in around the blower with a vacuum with a small hose. Be sure to check the 3 drains (A, B, C in picture) in the Plenum Chamber that the are open and not stuck closed with dirt or debris.

I am really curious if the water deflector you found (#2 in the last picture below) will help. I found it at AudiPartsUSA for ~$26.00 USD, and tax free because they are in Oregon. I will likely buy and try, and let you know.
Cheers!

Old 11-11-2018, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Just replaced the blower motor

CORRECTION: "...I found it at AudiPartsUSA for ~$26.00 USD..." Actually, that is the price at Parts.com.