Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Keyless Start, Drive Select, Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Redd I can not follow your reply. Was there a deleted reply before yours??
Old 05-21-2017, 10:25 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by apoelistas
...So ADS was only available with either Differential Pkg or ADS pkg factory options. I believe the ADS retrofit was discovered by enthusiasts. Otherwise Audi would have priced it. (similar to DWS which I have enabled)...
As far as the packages offered for your region, I can see in order to get ADS, you had to spec one of those packages. In the US, you could get ADS controls on a MY15 Q5 simply by spec'ing the Sport Interior PKG-No differential or Driver Assist Package required.

Most retrofits are discovered by enthusiasts. Just because Audi can spec something on a vehicle, doesn't mean they will. Cost and of course many other variables are always a factors when determining the options offered to the various different regions of the world.

Audi does not retrofit packages, and there is no SVM code to make adjustments in order to update their online database with these modifications/retrofits:
like enabling the Deflation Warning System (DWS)
like adding the ADS code to the control units
like enabling efficiency program (my instrument cluster was not activated with this, I had to firmware update first)
like enabling lap timer in order to show the engine temperature.
like enabling the battery charge status to show on the radio

All were discovered by enthusiasts and are free to implement without paying Audi any licensing fees. However, if Audi dealer resets the control units to their defaults all VCDs programming is gone.

I am not sure how ADS was offered in Europe, but probably something similar but not part of prestige package (since our packages are not based on technological improvements but only on design aspects).
What you are saying is mostly true, but not completely. Audi does offer a retrofit kit of ADS, but not on the Q5. It was offered on the new A3 as a ROW aftermarket upgrade, but wasn't offered in the states. As far as other options, some of them are dictated by regional codes and regulations, and some are offered as upgraded features on higher line models (lap timer for S and RS models etc).

Respectfully speaking of course, I think some of the disconnect here on your part lies in the understanding of the differences in vehicles from one region of the world to another and ALL of the variables that affect what options are offered in each of those regions. Just cause Audi can offer one feature in country A, doesn't mean they can or will offer the same feature in Country F.

This is my last post on trying to delicately clarify this so FWIW, I hope I helped to some degree.

Cheers!
Old 05-22-2017, 01:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Cheers for your opinion. I might need some technical advice later on, so I hope it is not your last post.

Audi could adopt a more flexible customization/retrofit policy, since it is possible why not?? The factory basic data could be allowed to be modified, and specs database could be online updated following the retrofit upgrades.
E.g,
Lap timer SVM
Deflation Warning System SVM (My ABS has this possibility but was not enabled)
ADS SVM
Start button (advanced convenience key) SVM
etc.

We can enable the features with VCDs but not sure if Audi dealers like this to happen.

E.g. I had a discussion with my Audi dealer regarding selling me the advance key, and he is not happy about it, because my vehicle is not factory spec' with the advance key. He has not provided me a final answer.

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-22-2017 at 01:49 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Not a deleted reply, but Mr.C's #18 where he says "...Audi really should have chosen better terminology when naming some of their products. The word dynamic in "Dynamic Steering" is not interchangeable with the dynamic in "Dynamic mode"..."

Audi's US literature often resembles the results of the Babelfish, or the Google Translate engine. Better than nothing and "thanks for the effort" but incredibly amateur-night when compared to any number of global corporations. (I know, in the US we are spoiled, we seem to think we're a large enough market for vendors to pay attention to their translations.)
Old 05-22-2017, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Redd
Not a deleted reply, but Mr.C's #18 where he says "...Audi really should have chosen better terminology when naming some of their products. The word dynamic in "Dynamic Steering" is not interchangeable with the dynamic in "Dynamic mode"..."

Audi's US literature often resembles the results of the Babelfish, or the Google Translate engine. Better than nothing and "thanks for the effort" but incredibly amateur-night when compared to any number of global corporations. (I know, in the US we are spoiled, we seem to think we're a large enough market for vendors to pay attention to their translations.)
Thanks for clarifying. I am not criticizing Audi in that respect, because I believe there is a subtle difference in the two terminologies used. The reason might be that I have the table in my mind which sorts out that terminology "confusion". I left that unanswered I guess. Cheers for spotting that.

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-22-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

First question I have trouble finding an answer from part diagrams.
My current Audi Key is 8T0959754D (PR-5D7 868mhz). What would be the correct part no, Kessy Go Key to replace with???

Latest Convenience control module to be used: 8K0907064CQ

Hope that someone can guide me on this. It is the most difficult question. How do I know if my key has 2 wireless antennas in case it supports kessy??

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-23-2017 at 01:56 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I got a reply from a German forum member. Audi now only makes keyless Go replacement Keys.

So I will order the replacement key as in the parts diagram.

I wish Audi Service had more knowledge / experience to give an answer the same day. Still waiting for their reply.

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-24-2017 at 03:42 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:20 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

I got a reply from a German forum member. Audi now only makes keyless Go replacement Keys.

So I will order the replacement key as in the parts diagram.

I wish Audi Service had more knowledge / experience to give an answer the same day. Still waiting for their reply.
There is a lot involved in advanced key. Antennas in several places in the vehicle, sensors in the door handles, etc. it's a lengthy retrofit. It's quite involved of a task. I suggest you google the retrofit and get some info on what's required before you try it. The amount of work and how invasive it is on the vehicle just may put you off from doing it.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Do you know if I can only install just the keyless Go (start stop button)???
with just one antenna at the console or should I install all the 4 antennas?

Thanks

Note:
I have the wire set (from germany) the 4 antennas, the 4 door sensors, the console, the start stop button, the drive select add on, I have the guide in german, and the guide in English with better pictures (but a bit different than Q5).

I need 8 bolts/screws (for the antennas), the Audi tape, and I need the key and the convenience control module. Then audi programming (console then the Key).

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-24-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Foolishly assuming there is at least one Audi dealer on Cyprus, and even more foolishly assuming they might (ha) have the technical knowledge and be willing to speak about it, your best choice might be to stop by and ask them. Tell them you know that you will have to bring it in for programming, but would they know if the diagnostics system is going to complain, if you just install the "keyless" start module, and not the door systems.

The way that systems are cross-connected (i.e. you can't release the parking brake until after the engine is engaged and firmly running) sometimes seems senseless and obtrusive. But that also allows them to engage the parking brake if you open the door while in reverse gear, which arguably is a safety feature in case you're drunk and about to roll out under your own moving vehicle.

I found out about the 'feature' when I popped the door, while in reverse with my foot firmly on the brake, in order to check the side line in a parking spot. And then of course the car didn't want to move, because it has quietly engaged the brake. (sigh.)

Quick Reply: Keyless Start, Drive Select, Keyless Entry