Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Keyless Start, Drive Select, Keyless Entry

Old 05-24-2017, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Correct, one Audi dealer, with showrooms and service points in every town.

I believe there is 1 knowledgeable person at least who had the training, but I have to find in which town he is based .

I will also install the trunk antenna because it is easy.

I will try to reprogram with VCDS 05 ACC Start Auth, to see how many antennas it asks for for start button. I hope the car does not refuse to start. (Just a thought)

I called twice today. No news from the dealer yet regarding the keyless key. Busy I guess.

I might as well install all the 4 antennas (just to be sure). Hope it is not difficult to remove the door panels.

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-24-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

A good thought. I don't think Audi's programming would be as "paranoid" as some, but I've seen plenty of web sites, etc. where you get three shots at logging in correctly and then they shut you out until you find an administrator. I could certainly see a can security system saying "I no longer trust you, you'll need to connect me to the secret server back in the motherland for re-authorization now". Not likely--but an Audi is like a box of CrackerJack, there's always a surprise inside. (Well, not any more, Crackerjack is putting in links to online stuff, no more real toys.)
Old 05-24-2017, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

These 2 videos are useful in order to install the door sensors and the antennas.

Door panel removal is about 4 mins each.

Ext Door handle removal. Need to buy Audi door handle assembly tool.

And to avoid needing the tool. The correct guide to remove the handle:

--- Update:
For the sensors I did not use the special tool as in the german video. if you push the unlock torx screw in (as in the guide) the handle remains in the open position. Next job installing the 4 antennas. Audi service has ordered me a new Key today: 8K0959754D TKE and a new comfort module.
Installed the 4 sensors in the handles in less than 20 mins. Sensor part number: 4G8 927 753
I have not installed any magnets. I will purchase and install them just to make sure sensors function even though I believe that magnets are not needed with these newer sensors.

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-28-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Trunk keyless antenna R137 location:
Needed: 2 plastic hexagonal nuts: N909 472 01
The trim panel can be removed by just lifting both sides upwards at the same time (there are no screws) and you dont need any tool as recommended in the service manual.

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-28-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:21 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Have you already installed all of the harnesses for this retrofit? Do you have a photo of them?
Old 05-28-2017, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Not yet. When I will I will post some pictures. With 3 kids it is difficult to find time. The 9 harnesses are already purchased and ready to be fitted. (console trunk and 2 rear door antennas + 4 door sensors + push button)

First priority will be to connect the 3 harnesses for central console, trunk antennas and push start button in order to enable keyless go.

The most difficult part is the pin connection location (sorted out see basic equipment from septeber 2008 pdf audi wiring diagram - erwin)

I have installed the antenna cable in the trunk but I could not install the pins in the convenience socket housing. The reason is I dont have the T32 32 pin blue connector plug. I need to get that and a couple of audi cable tapes. Another 1 day of delay.

T32 (32 pin connector): 1J0 973 977D
Audi cable tape: 000 979 950

I am done with the pdf translation and ready to install 1 more antenna and push button harnesses in the central console.

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-30-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Next steps:
Install the 2 harnesses (antenna + start button). (need to see some youtube videos)
Install the harness for Drive Select (ADS) (need to read guide)
Install the new revised console panel with ADS and start button
Connect pins to the blue T32 connector of comfort unit (and black 32 pin connector which is needed for the start button).

The center console keyless antenna was installed. Only one hex screw was needed (careful not to drop your antenna in the opening).

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-30-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

ADS installed today and programmed. I am exhausted. It was a painful experience to remove all the dashboard and console trim plastics. Harness installed at the drivers side.

This information is basically compatible with a pre-facelift Audi Q5 VCDs programming for Radio Concert 6.5 inch Infotainment System with Drive Select, which does not exist as a complete Programming Guide in other forums.

Prefacelift VCDs programming for Audi Q5 Radio Concert 6.5" Infotainment Compete Guide by apoelistas:

I enabled at Address 09 Central Electric the following:
Byte 7 Bit 5 from 0 to 1 (enable ADS)
Byte 8 Bit 0 from 0 to 1 (sport mode enabled S automatic mode) working perfect
Byte 8 Bit 1 from 0 to 1 (servotronic steering) working perfect
Byte 8 Bit 2 from 0 to 1 (throttle response) I did not observe a difference (but I have a turbo leak somewhere)
Byte 19: Bit 6 from 0 to 1 (enables ADS light on the control). Manual adjustment using counting method
I have also set Channel 63 64 65 to 1 (comfort mode, all have to be the same), by 09 then Sec. 16 then Adapt 10. This way comfort mode stays preselected indefinitely, rather than auto. (otherwise these values were set to 2 - auto)
Used a 7.5Amp fuse, position 8 counting from below of orange fuse box (the tallest fuse box). It was pity to observe that the housing covers were removed and never re installed, and one screw holding the fuse boxes missing.

Basically engine throttle response I did not observe a difference (turbo hissing - leak)
Dynamic mode same as moving the gearbox to S mode but in this option the steering is stiffer.
The most apparent change is the steering response. In comfortable mode the steering becomes very gentle on turns, however in dynamic mode very stiff.

Amazing technology. Thank you Audi. I can now set drive select to comfort mode and relax.
Enabling MMI display does not work.

My windows did not open or close with the key after reconnecting battery.

Solution in the owners manual, open all windows then do the following per window, close window until it stops then do up one more time momentarily. After all 4 done lock and test.

The start button is just for decoration at least until I get to install the antennas and cables needed.

Next week, I will do the start button and the center console antenna cables (trunk already done), actually it makes sense to pass all cables from the trunk comfort control unit to all locations.

Last edited by apoelistas; 06-05-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

During the installation of the keyless entry I found some obstacles.

1. Some pins from the harness would not fit into the door separator connectors T27 where I had to trim the higher side which caused the problem,
2. The start button harness, grey cable came with pin which would connect to the pin 1 black connector T32b (electronic control module) but connector position 1 was already occupied and I had to cut pin and solder cable on to existing pin 1 cable.
3. Start button harness was short and I had to pull all the way to the center console in order to connect..
4. On the right hand front door the door sensor harness in the Audi electrical diagram, it says to connect to T20 (A pillar) instead/unlike of T27 connector of the other 3 doors
However T20 should then connect to the door sensors.

Because I could not figure out where T20 connector is, and I could not figure out how to connect T20 to the door sensors, I have not carried out exact instalation method. Instead I have connected all harness cables to the 4 T27 connector at the door separation point. Hope this is ok. The driver side was difficult but successful. I spent a couple of hours on this side. The other 3 doors were in comparison easier.

Also the start button has a brown cable which should be soldered to an earthing cable. Because there was no information I chose to connect this brown cable to the brown cable of the lighter. Hope this is acceptable and does not cause any issues..

These were my difficulties. Tomorrow I will start with the 4 doors (2 antennas and harness and sensor harness from sensors to T27), and I am done. The rest is dealers work.

The bad experience I had, I have broken the battery pole screw bcs I used excessive torque. Replaced by something similar I had home. I also broke an antenna connector clamp which I will replaced soon (center console).

The positive, I did not cut any wires when stripping the cable shell when connecting to it. I do not receive any DTC when scanning with diagnostic for errors.

After this experience, I think I will register to electrical courses in order to learn how to use a multi-meter.

When I finish the 4 doors (sensor harness. and 2 rear antennas) I will visit the dealer for a new comfort unit + advance key.

I would think that the parts are total 1000 including (and many hours of labour). Here is the analysis.
1. new convenience unit, one advance Key, 4 magnets and antenna screws, T32 blue connector from Audi dealer,
2. keyless harness, console trim, ADS from the German seller
3. Start engine button and 4 door sensors from China. Start button is original and new, 4 door sensors look original but not 100% sure.
4. 4 antennas I got used from a German seller.

The engine start button now lights up. During the day it is not noticeable.

(Next retrofit will be fitting the 2 door lights which were not fitted, which I already forgot that I have the parts at home)

It seems that in USA everyone has Keyless access in their Audi Q5 or is it my idea?? otherwise I dont believe that many are interested in adding Keyless access. I am the only person in Cyprus who has done this upgrade to my Car, as there are parts like the wifi screws, magnets, and antenna connectors, that no one has ordered before so I understand the no interest in this. Oh you also need to have a VCDs for clearing the DTCs after battery reconnect and programming the ADS retrofit in order to enable it.

Anyhow, if there is a will there is always a way. You can tell how a man treats a woman by how they treat their car. .

Last edited by apoelistas; 06-14-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Antenna + Sensor harness +Antenna harness retrofit.

First door (left rear) completed. The difficult task was the soldering to the brown wire. Also lost time trimming the 3 pin sides in order to slide through the T27 connector. I dont know why the german supplied the wrong pin design, to the harness (trimming the pin to make the size fit, is not ideal. I also used a blade sharpener to trim those. After this experience I will try not to buy a car which is not fully loaded. I have almost added all options to my Q5, though some expensive options were already fitted.

Last edited by apoelistas; 06-15-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keyless Start, Drive Select, Keyless Entry