Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Looking into SQ5 Tire Replacement with 265/40R21s

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Michelin produces some of their Michelin brand in China.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billm0066
My SQ5 came with Lexani tires which are the much cheaper alternative than oem 21" tires. They have actually been really good. Zero issues in any weather (even got to test in 6" of snow in NC). I've driven them 22,000 miles and they still have 5/32"-6/32" left. I think your comment is pretty closed minded and not accurate at all. You cant rationalize every tire based on the country they are made in because you have not tested even a small % of them. I only take advice from people that have experience and unfortunately you don't have it. I have seen several people on both q5 boards mention these tires are great so when mine are toast I will be replacing them with these.

FYI a few hundred is not accurate. Oem tires are $325+ each. Atturos are $135 each or less. $1,300 vs $540. Better check your math bud....
I paid $919.96 for Michelin Premier LTX tires with 2 years of road protection and $70 back in a visa gift card from Tire Rack. Show me a scientific test on wet braking, dry braking, sidewall strength and snow/ice testing and I'll listen. Until then your just spouting hot air. Personally my family's lives and my ability to avoid an accident are worth more than $300 but we all value things differently.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by turner56
I paid $919.96 for Michelin Premier LTX tires with 2 years of road protection and $70 back in a visa gift card from Tire Rack. Show me a scientific test on wet braking, dry braking, sidewall strength and snow/ice testing and I'll listen. Until then your just spouting hot air. Personally my family's lives and my ability to avoid an accident are worth more than $300 but we all value things differently.

It's good you found a tire at a good price that fits your needs. In Texas, I don't have a need to all season so I was able to consider the Atturos AZ850s as a serious option. After a week so far, they are a smoother and quieter ride than the P Zeros they replaced with no degradation in handling. Thus far, the Dunlops lasted 19K miles, then the Pirelli P Zeros lasted 17K miles. If I can get 25k miles from the Atturos, then it is was worth it. Again, these tires have been getting good reviews even on Porsche Cayennes and Macons as well (the other brand of German tire-eaters&#128513. I'll keep y'all posted on my experience....
Old 03-19-2019, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

With this logic why would you buy an Audi? Why not buy a vehicle that can perform better? Something that stops better, better handling, better traction. Porsche Macon is better is just about every regard compared to the q5. It's only like a $20k-$30k difference. Isnt your families life worth that? Tesla Model X is safer than the q5, why not buy that? I like how you go to the extreme that Atturo tires = instant death lol. You are emotional and way too dramatic.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Let's see, 20-30k differents in SUV's or $1000 in tires. Sure, same thing.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The three things you should never skimp on for a lifetime of health and longevity: shoes, mattress, tires.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by billm0066
With this logic why would you buy an Audi? Why not buy a vehicle that can perform better? Something that stops better, better handling, better traction. Porsche Macon is better is just about every regard compared to the q5. It's only like a $20k-$30k difference. Isnt your families life worth that? Tesla Model X is safer than the q5, why not buy that? I like how you go to the extreme that Atturo tires = instant death lol. You are emotional and way too dramatic.
Did that really sound logical when you wrote it? If you haven't figured it out yet, the only thing attaching your car to the ground are your tires. A Macan that weighs similarly to a SQ5 is not going to out perform it with crappy tires no matter what you think. If you want to run junk by all means do it, but if someone is looking for advice, I'd highly suggest they spend the extra $5 a month on something that's been scientifically tested.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Look, of course anyone can choose what tires they want. Listen to others. Do your own research. My advice, don't go cheap on tires. A $75 tire is 75 bucks for a reason and it's not to be nice and give a break to the buyer IMO of course. Just do your own research. If I needed tires today out here in SoCal, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S 265/40/21.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Pilot Sport 4S is an amazing tire - I have them on my track day car.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Pilot Sport 4S is an amazing tire - I have them on my track day car.
And you can get them at Costco.

Quick Reply: Looking into SQ5 Tire Replacement with 265/40R21s