Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Maintenance 2012 Audi Q5 Transmission fluid Flush

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance 2012 Audi Q5 Transmission fluid Flush

Hi Everyone,

my 12' Audi Q5 has about 126,000km's and i'm thinking of getting my audi dealer to do a transmission fluid flush ? car jerks once in a while when the temps outside get hot
so it might be a good idea have them put in some fresh fluid ? the jerk i experience is from 2nd to first i suppose when coming to a halt or coasting . it happens occasionally

What do you guys think ?
Old 08-20-2018, 08:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by carfanaticA4
Hi Everyone,

my 12' Audi Q5 has about 126,000km's and i'm thinking of getting my audi dealer to do a transmission fluid flush ? car jerks once in a while when the temps outside get hot
so it might be a good idea have them put in some fresh fluid ? the jerk i experience is from 2nd to first i suppose when coming to a halt or coasting . it happens occasionally

What do you guys think ?
I have a 2012 Q5 as well. 105K on it. Absolutely do the fluid change. It's thievery at the dealership though. i'm trying to figure out where to get the materials (fluid, gasket, filter) and then have a private shop do it. Debated doing it myself but it seems a lot easier by someone that has a lift. Also debating whether to use Ravenol, ZF, or Amsoil fluid.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the info , hopefully i can get a deal on this "Finger crossed"
Old 08-20-2018, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by engin_ear
I have a 2012 Q5 as well. 105K on it. Absolutely do the fluid change. It's thievery at the dealership though. i'm trying to figure out where to get the materials (fluid, gasket, filter) and then have a private shop do it. Debated doing it myself but it seems a lot easier by someone that has a lift. Also debating whether to use Ravenol, ZF, or Amsoil fluid.
Blauparts and ECS Tuning both carry kits that include the fluid and filter/gaskets etc. This is a worthwhile service after 80K miles, which is the service interval that ZF says to use. If you have a shop do it make sure they are able to follow the ZF procedure to the letter because the car must be level when checking the fluid level.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by carfanaticA4
Hi Everyone,

What do you guys think ?
You harsh downshifting could be due to.......

1. Have you updated to the latest transmission software?

2. Lost the transmission adaptive program settings, and need to readapt by the dealer.

3. Bad transmission Mechatronic unit.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Changing the fluid by drain and re-fill is preferable to flash.
I did drain and refill about 1.5 years ago myself and only 3L of fhe fuid in came out.
So this past March I had an independent shop do the filter and fluid and the old fluid had very slight burnt smell.
The 2010 Q5 has 75k miles but 95% done in city traffic.
I used Audi gasket and filter and ZF lifetime8 fluid which was about$200 for parts+ $250 for the labor. Needed 5 bottles of fluid.
Even if SW Update is required changing fluid and filter is a good thing to do if u want to keep your Q
Old 08-28-2018, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

I did the drain and refill also. Took almost 3 quarts with the temp correct per VCDS. Old fluid seemed fine and not burnt @ 71K. Seems to possibly shift smoother, possibly all in my head. Used the recommended Amsoil trans fluid.
Plan to do again in a few months at the next oil change. Pretty easy if not pulling the pan and changing the filter.
If it is warm out the trans temp drops very slowly, so don't get it too warm in the first place, do the job when it is cool or have some extra time for it to cool down to spec before topping off, letting excess drain out and installing the fill plug.
I used (4) ramps for safety and to be level.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
I did the drain and refill also. Took almost 3 quarts with the temp correct per VCDS. Old fluid seemed fine and not burnt @ 71K. Seems to possibly shift smoother, possibly all in my head. Used the recommended Amsoil trans fluid.
Plan to do again in a few months at the next oil change. Pretty easy if not pulling the pan and changing the filter.
If it is warm out the trans temp drops very slowly, so don't get it too warm in the first place, do the job when it is cool or have some extra time for it to cool down to spec before topping off, letting excess drain out and installing the fill plug.
I used (4) ramps for safety and to be level.
Great advice regarding the temp!
You used 4 ramps?? Huh? Did you mean jack stands? :

BTW, I just bought Ravenol 6HP for the 6HP19 tranny and Amsoil Gear Oil for the Diffs. I was afraid to go with the Amsoil for the tranny, even though I really wanted to.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by engin_ear
Great advice regarding the temp!
You used 4 ramps?? Huh? Did you mean jack stands? :

BTW, I just bought Ravenol 6HP for the 6HP19 tranny and Amsoil Gear Oil for the Diffs. I was afraid to go with the Amsoil for the tranny, even though I really wanted to.
I have had great luck with Amsoil in many applications and have seen some great reviews of this trans fluid.
I went with the better one not the OEM one.
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3110.pdf

I bought the ramps at Walmart but Amazon has them too. I already had one set and bought another. With a wheeled creeper, it's pretty easy with plenty of room to work.
Amazon Amazon
Old 09-12-2018, 09:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give this a shot:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...anged-2907750/

I used 4 homemade wooden ramps to ensure the car was level.

I would caution against using anything other than the ZF-spec fluid for your specific transmission.
https://www.alleuro.com/resources/13...FFluidInfo.pdf

Last edited by kingsalami; 09-12-2018 at 09:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Maintenance 2012 Audi Q5 Transmission fluid Flush