Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Maintenance to Expect before 100k Miles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Maintenance to Expect before 100k Miles?

Sorry if this has already been covered, but:
For the wife I picked up a 14' Q5 2.0T P+ in 11/15 with 29k miles on it (not a CPO). We're up to about 44k miles on it and no problems so far. The original warranty is about to expire at the end of this August. Can anyone tell me what to expect with regards to maintenance besides the usual wear/tear items? Should I be looking into an extended third party warranty? Generally I believe such warranties aren't worth it, but it really depends on what usually goes on these cars before 100k miles.. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2017, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

What's the manual say at 100k?
Old 04-23-2017, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by shokhead
What's the manual say at 100k?
oh, sorry if I wasn't clear, I wasn't talking regularly expected maintenance, or regular wear/tear items, but like unexpected part failures. My 03' BMW E46 had a number of parts that later needed to be discontinued and replaced with corrected versions as they were originally poorly designed. These included the water pump, and portions of the power steering system. I also had to replace the control arms every 2 years as they couldn't hold up against the salt they cover our New England roads with in the wintertime (despite fact the car was always garaged). I was just wondering if there were similar parts on the Q5 that have been known to fail or wear too fast/easily?
Old 04-23-2017, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Removal of carbon deposits somewhere between 50-75K miles is the most common one with that year and engine, I believe. Runs about $1K
Old 04-23-2017, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I'll keep that 1k in my pocket and keep the use of good gas and a treatment of Techron a couple of times a year. Seems to have worked.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by shokhead
I'll keep that 1k in my pocket and keep the use of good gas and a treatment of Techron a couple of times a year. Seems to have worked.

With direct injection engines there is no washing down of the intake valves with the fuel mixture to remove carbon deposits, Techron will do little to help remove carbon from intake valves. High speed blasts down the road will do little also.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

IIRC the use of Techron here is more like the use of TopTier gasolines. Supposedly fewer contaminents and more detergents (i.e. the Techron mix) to prevent the deposits from forming in the first place.

I figure I can find Top Tier fuels for often the same price or two cents more than others, so I buy into the "no really, it will make less deposits" pitch.

IIRC the '13 and later Q5's were given above average mechanical reliability ratings. Maintenance would be what, brakes and rotors, tires, changing all the differential fluids, an alignment, checking the recall status for the heater and secondary water pump control....but so far no horror campaigns for these cars, yes?
Old 04-24-2017, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonlightblue
Sorry if this has already been covered, but:
For the wife I picked up a 14' Q5 2.0T P+ in 11/15 with 29k miles on it (not a CPO). We're up to about 44k miles on it and no problems so far. The original warranty is about to expire at the end of this August. Can anyone tell me what to expect with regards to maintenance besides the usual wear/tear items? Should I be looking into an extended third party warranty? Generally I believe such warranties aren't worth it, but it really depends on what usually goes on these cars before 100k miles.. Thanks!
Here's the maintenance schedule for your vehicle...as for wear/tear, remember that most after-market warranties won't cover any wear/tear issues.
Attached Files
Old 04-24-2017, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
IIRC the use of Techron here is more like the use of TopTier gasolines. Supposedly fewer contaminents and more detergents (i.e. the Techron mix) to prevent the deposits from forming in the first place.

I figure I can find Top Tier fuels for often the same price or two cents more than others, so I buy into the "no really, it will make less deposits" pitch.

IIRC the '13 and later Q5's were given above average mechanical reliability ratings. Maintenance would be what, brakes and rotors, tires, changing all the differential fluids, an alignment, checking the recall status for the heater and secondary water pump control....but so far no horror campaigns for these cars, yes?
The majority of Audi carbon build up is from the PCV valve allowing oil fumes to coat the intake valve and bake to carbon. You need fuel to wash it away and it isn't there to do so.

Audi/VW and BMW have the worst engines for carbon build up.

GM has the least. Why? They have a patent on a novel valve timing scheme. When the piston reaches just before top dead center on the exhaust cycle, the intake valve opens and a small amount of fuel is injected, this small amount of fuel is pushed backwards past the intake valve as the piston goes through top dead center. The piston then reverses on the intake cycle sucking this small amount of fuel past the intake valve clean off any deposits and carbon, additional fuel is then direct injected, fires, and the process is repeated. Great system. My relative owns an engine rebuilding business and says the GM intake valves on high mileage direct injection engines are super clean and so are engines that have a combination of both direct injection and port injection.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Very interesting. I would have thought valve timing was valve timing...no matter how you set it, that was old news and not a patentable novelty. I guess not. (Although, the patent office DID issue a patent for the wheelbarrow, later rescinded.(G)

Quick Reply: Maintenance to Expect before 100k Miles?