Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

maintenance reminder reset

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through and read quite a few maintenance related threads, and I didn't come across a scenario where someone did their own maintenance but didn't have their own Vag-Com cable (or at least access to one). For those who do their own maintenance without a cable, how much does the dealer charge, if anything, to reset the interval?

I don't have any issues in picking up a cable, but I may not be able to do so before my next scheduled service.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Simans82
I went through and read quite a few maintenance related threads, and I didn't come across a scenario where someone did their own maintenance but didn't have their own Vag-Com cable (or at least access to one). For those who do their own maintenance without a cable, how much does the dealer charge, if anything, to reset the interval?

I don't have any issues in picking up a cable, but I may not be able to do so before my next scheduled service.
It only takes a few minutes either with a VCDS or the dealer's diagnostic system. If you have a good relationship with your dealer's service manager, they might just do it for free. If not, the dealer would probably charge for a half hour labor. I would guess about $60-$70 average. Also, an Audi/VW indy shop would have a VCDS and should be about 30-35% less.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Three reactions...

the net being if you really want to do it and see a purpose, it probably works.

1. With VAG-COM/VCDS you basically have to turn the ignition on to get it to work or read much; that's a clue.

2. The recent Valentine 1 Savvy connection approach is through the OBDII connector, which also obviates the need to hard wire the detector by finding an ignition on (only) power source if you want to avoid a cigarette lighter coil cord approach. The V1 would (should) not be powered with the ignition off, so another clue indirectly. http://www.valentine1.com/savvy/ and http://www.valentine1.com/savvy/pdf/Savvy_UserGuide.pdf

3. Various instrumentation approaches exist that use the OBDII port; again assuming they are often used in a longer term install, logical they don't cause a battery or shut down issue.

I'll be doing the Savvy V1 install approach pretty soon, so will have a better feel for practicality of going through the OBDII port for other than brief VAG-COM diagnostic uses.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-30-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
It only takes a few minutes either with a VCDS or the dealer's diagnostic system. If you have a good relationship with your dealer's service manager, they might just do it for free. If not, the dealer would probably charge for a half hour labor. I would guess about $60-$70 average. Also, an Audi/VW indy shop would have a VCDS and should be about 30-35% less.
Thanks for the reply! Assuming the dealer would charge 30 minutes labor to plug in, the cable would be worth the investment considering I have 4 services remaining prior to turning the vehicle back in. I could always sell it online or use it on our next Audi.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have a cable and just got done doing an oil change, air filter, plugs, tire rotate and would have done the pads, but they did not need it yet.

And, I do all of the maintenance on my 2 older classic cars.

Point is that there is lots you can do without a cable.

Myron
Old 12-31-2013, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Actually, it does make sense.The eBay knock-offs are single state, reverse-engineered from older VCDS cables. They cannot update firmware and will be almost useless for newer car models. Most of the cost of a Vag-Com cable is for the Ross-Tech software/firmware development which is continuously updated to include new car models with newer technology and the latest module revisions.

Finally, it's like buying any counterfeit product in that it deprives revenue from the manf, in this case, Ross-Tech, which provides the resources allowing them to invest in the development of the latest revisions and updates of their product.

As to the simple OBD readers on the market, they are good for basic problem reports but cannot provide the detail of VCDS or make modifications to the car's coding.
Well said
Old 12-31-2013, 11:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Winter Cabriolet
I don't have a cable and just got done doing an oil change, air filter, plugs, tire rotate and would have done the pads, but they did not need it yet.

And, I do all of the maintenance on my 2 older classic cars.

Point is that there is lots you can do without a cable.

Myron
You'll need the cable to replace the rear pads.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
You'll need the cable to replace the rear pads.
No, you don't- you can remove the motors from the calipers and then turn the pistons in.
it does help to have VAG caliper tool because aftermarket kits did not have that.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just took over a 2012 Q5 from a colleague who left our company. I've only driven the car for a few weeks. Nice car, for sure.

I have always done my own maintenance, rebuilt engines and transmissions, and restored body work.

But it is unbelievable that I need to go to the dealer, 35 miles away, to have the oil reminder reset. For this reason, I would not choose another Audi product.

And now the dealer tells me I have to return to them a 3rd time in less than a week to fix the Dynamic Headlight Range Control fault, since the previous two attempts to fix it haven't worked. Something about having to order a new "module" from Germany.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Actually on my 2011 you can reset the oil change reminder in the MMI but you do need the dealer or VCDS to reset the maintenance reminder. (2) different things.

Quick Reply: maintenance reminder reset