Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Major complaint

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Art "over" engineering here

Audi seems to have forgotten when 25 years ago in the middle of the aero C3 (5000) run they realized flushed in wipers was maybe not the best idea for either easily folding them back or keeping the snow and crud from building up yet more down below. So they revved it back to the fold back style at the mid- refresh, though with a weird mid point kinked arm as I recall. They seem to have lost that learning again in favor of style. I can't really call it areo on a Q5 like maybe on the current D4 (A8)--my 2006 D3 is the earlier more practical Audi norm of only semi flushed in behind the hood style Audi had for a long time where you could still fold it back and clean it more easily. Probably leads to less crud than what seems like this giant ice collector Audi has now ended up creating, even more so if the car gets snowed on with the wipers not in the fold back position via MMI that then means its harder to get in there with a snow brush or scraper. Art over Engineering in this case.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Wish Audi had what Subaru has. They have an area on the lower windsheild the look like defroster lines that the wipers rest on. Very cool!!!!
+1--I had an '09 Forester Turbo with the wiper defrosters; never stuck to the windshield, never clumped with snow or ice, and it was easy to put winter blades on. Never an issue with icing or failure to clear.

Have had exactly the same problem as the OP on mine, and have tried everything I can think of including every suggestion in this thread to no avail. There's been a longstanding thread on the B8 A4 forum titled "Dear Audi: It's winter again and these wipers still suck" (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ht=wipers+suck) Of course, our Q5 wipers are the same as those on the A4, so naturally they suck too.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not having this problem on my A6 TDI. Is it a Q5 TDI problem? Can't say. But then the snowstorms I drove in might not have been like the ones you drove in. I have had no icing.

TDIs are said to warm up more slowly. Mine is not overly slow but having not owned a comparable gas fueled Audi I can't compare. If there isn't enough defrost heat being produced, obviously it is going to lead to problems in bad conditions.

Sort of sounds to me like something is wrong (or the design is wrong) but this shouldn't happen in a car that bills itself as a great winter vehicle.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My issue isn't warming up, it's all the SALT that gets on my windshield and I have to clean it every 20 min of driving..
Old 01-29-2014, 02:29 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I have the same problem with my 2000 A6 if that makes you feel any better.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
I have the same problem with my 2000 A6 if that makes you feel any better.
I've had this issue on multiple vehicles. My car is caked with some salt, snow, and dirt residue. So I'm not entirely surprised it's on my windshield while driving. Annoying...
Old 01-31-2014, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sevarino
make sure you have winter wipers like the Trico ice.
I would love to get winter blades, but the reviews of the Trico Ice on Amazon are lukewarm at best (too stiff so they don't clear completely, don't mount easily, etc.). Anybody else have any experience with them, bad or good (Sevarino, I assume your experience is good)?
Old 01-31-2014, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just had to spend $380 bucks on my 1997 jeep grand cherokee for a new muffler and pipe (the price of a set of Audi blades lol ) . I love having a winter car. My jeep has given me 8 years and 80,000 miles on trouble free ownership. (I am the second owner). It gets driven in all the crap while my nice cars stay in the garage. Lol. I have winter tires on my SQ just incase I get out and gotta get home. I had a 2007 GMC 1500 with heated washer fluid. It was awesome!!!! But GM did have a issue with it so the dropped it. To the german who designs the Audi Wiper PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT A SUBARU!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2014, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
To the german who designs the Audi Wiper PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT A SUBARU!!!!!!!
They do not need to look that far... just need to look at the previous model A3. The wipers were fantastic on my A3.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The upper passenger side of the windshield never gets clean. Will have the wipers check on the first service.

Quick Reply: Major complaint