Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Manually folding side view mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Manually folding side view mirrors

When I bring my car into the NYC parking lot, there are times when I see that one of the side view mirrors are folded in (of course overcrowding in the lot is the culprit). When I get in the car, I hit the switch to unfold them and it makes a god awful sound. On that basis alone, I have told them not to manually fold the mirror. Question; does manually folding the mirror cause any damage to the mirror's mechanisms?
Old 03-05-2016, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bob m
When I bring my car into the NYC parking lot, there are times when I see that one of the side view mirrors are folded in (of course overcrowding in the lot is the culprit). When I get in the car, I hit the switch to unfold them and it makes a god awful sound. On that basis alone, I have told them not to manually fold the mirror. Question; does manually folding the mirror cause any damage to the mirror's mechanisms?
I would think being motorized mirrors that manually folding them cannot be a good thing.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the lot locks the cars, it might be easier on the mechanism to have the mirrors set to fold upon locking.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
If the lot locks the cars, it might be easier on the mechanism to have the mirrors set to fold upon locking.
Aha, makes sense, but after thinking about it, its an indoor garage and they don't lock the cars.

Last edited by bob m; 03-05-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I've seen a thread where a woman in a parking lot manually jammed a motorized mirror open on a poster's Audi trying to be helpful and broke the motor. Similar thing almost happened to me once when boarding a ferry and the attendent grabbed my mirror to close it. I stopped him in time. Best to tell the lot to leave them alone or lock the car.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Aha, makes sense, but after thinking about it, its an indoor garage and they don't lock the cars.
Maybe fold the mirrors in yourself before handing over the keys?

And your side mirrors are probably the least of your worries with NYC parking attendants LOL.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:20 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Temporarily manually folding the mirrors by hand does not hurt them. Just so long as you unfold it again before you or the car tries to fold/unfold it electronically. The mirrors are still designed to fold manually if they are ever hit. This being by driving forward and hitting a pole really close to the car this knocking the mirror back, or backing out of a parking space and hitting the mirror forward. This is designed to minimize structural damage to to mirror housing or the door frame. But if the mirror has been folded manually, it is generally unwise to attempt to unfold it electronically.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Problem is it would be easy to forget (or not notice someone had folded it in) to manually pull it back before starting the car.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by riceboy22
Maybe fold the mirrors in yourself before handing over the keys?

And your side mirrors are probably the least of your worries with NYC parking attendants LOL.
Nah, folding the mirrors myself wouldn't work as I am in a long line of other cars and they move my car right away to another spot.
Yep, NYC lots are terrible, 15 years ago, they tore the front below the engine cover thingee on my 2000 A3 or was it the A4? But things have gotten better as I make very sure I "take care of" the manager and staff.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
Temporarily manually folding the mirrors by hand does not hurt them. Just so long as you unfold it again before you or the car tries to fold/unfold it electronically. The mirrors are still designed to fold manually if they are ever hit. This being by driving forward and hitting a pole really close to the car this knocking the mirror back, or backing out of a parking space and hitting the mirror forward. This is designed to minimize structural damage to to mirror housing or the door frame. But if the mirror has been folded manually, it is generally unwise to attempt to unfold it electronically.
Ok, makes sense. Good info to know, as I was unfolding them electronically.

Thanks All.