Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Mercedes officially offers LED Logo. Would you want an Audi official one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Yeah, the LED stuff has gone over-board. It kinda sux that every new car on the road today has some copy of what Audi started
Totally agree - it's been over played and can be found on any manner of cars. And even though Audi sarted what has become a trend, it hasn't distinguished itself with the multitude of different LED designs model by model and year over year. In my opinion a consistent approach would bring exclusivity and would positively impact branding. This could be a reason for LED logos, though I'm not a fan.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mwaarna
So its not a complete look at me gimmick like the HGTuning one available...
Doesn't seem to serve any real purpose, since it's not going to improve the visibility of the vehicle (parked or otherwise) and only seems to serve to say, "Look, I've got a Benz!" Could be missing something, but it just doesn't seem to be useful.

Originally Posted by Parsec
I think everyone agrees it has gone too far once we started seeing Kia Optimas with them, but it's also a safety device. Many cars use them as DRLs.
LEDs are a good advance and there's a lot you can do with LEDs without making it look like you're just copying Audi. It's not like it should be if Audi did LEDs first then nobody else should be allowed to use them. But everyone should be defining their own look so you don't look like a copycat. (And it'd be nice if someone would find new uses for things rather than it often being VAG heading up innovations.)
Old 06-06-2013, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just light up the entire car using LEDs?!?! Waaaay overboard IMO.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think everyone agrees it has gone too far once we started seeing Kia Optimas with them, but it's also a safety device. Many cars use them as DRLs.

Speaking of this...

I was driving around with my Dad the other day and had a conversation about how newer Kia's are trying to look so much like Audis. You'll be driving on the interstate and be like, oh, there's an Audi, wait... nope a Kia.

So I Googled 'Kias look like Audis', and found out Lead Audi designer got hired as Kia president like 5 years ago.

Makes sense now.

Last edited by ThunderDent; 06-06-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I saw a BMW 5 series at the Shell yesterday with the perimeter of his rear emblem lit up with a blue light. Looked kinda cool, but I like others said I wouldn't drive one myself (unless it became mainstream and I had no choice).
The Malaysian Car Company had a logo in the front that was lit by a blue logo but us laws do not allow that.

I just got a link (via my LED LinkedIn group) to a china company that makes lights for this:

http://www.liwin-china.com/led+car+logo/p2
Old 06-06-2013, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
Speaking of this...

I was driving around with my Dad the other day and had a conversation about how newer Kia's are trying to look so much like Audis. You'll be driving on the interstate and be like, oh, there's an Audi, wait... nope a Kia.

So I Googled 'Kias look like Audis', and found out Lead Audi designer got hired as Kia president like 5 years ago.

Makes sense now.
Yep, Lincoln also hired the lead designer from Cadillac a couple years ago and now their new cars coming out next year are beautiful.

Speaking of driving around, a car pulled up behind me a couple days ago at night and I thought "Nice front end lighting, I wonder what car it is." Sure enough it was a Kia.

Last edited by Parsec; 06-06-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
Why not just light up the entire car using LEDs?!?! Waaaay overboard IMO.
OOooh, and add some neon lights under the car and around the tag too!
Old 06-06-2013, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Audi is heading the innovations still. Now they are going to Full LED headlights (turn signal, main bulb, everything) with them being an active LED matrix so the "high" beams are always on but it detects where there is a car and "mutes" that section of LED's so it doesn't blind them.

They are also looking at OLED technology for tail-lights (broad lighting instead of pin-point with a diffuser).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TzxfYEuSSEI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W40Y7vFL3rw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-06-2013, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Yeah, the LED stuff has gone over-board. It kinda sux that every new car on the road today has some copy of what Audi started
Agree ..... Everyone is a wanna - be.
Nope - don't like the LED logo. Ricer stuff.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

so totally thread jacking, but speaking of LED lights..

Anyone have good photo's of the 2013 lights at night time(front and back)?

They have the official promo ones, but any of the board members cars at night time with the lights on?

Promo ones:

Last edited by mwaarna; 06-06-2013 at 10:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Mercedes officially offers LED Logo. Would you want an Audi official one?