Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Midnight Blue or Brilliant Black SQ5?

Old 03-04-2014, 12:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moonlight Blue is gorgeous - has almost a teal and gunmetal glint in it in bright sun. with that said, if you go for black, i prefer Phantom over Brilliant.

FWIW, i ordered mine in Monsoon. my original intention before i placed my order was Panther. i love the different hues that jump out under bright light at different angles. however, i'm horrible at taking care of a black car. i then ordered Lava after seeing one on the lot under an overcast sky, but my husband and i weren't completely feeling the color. so, i changed it to Monsoon.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by alatsacto
I can't disagree with this statement. If you like blue, that Estoril Blue is so sharp. I actually get more compliments on the color of the SQ5 than the actual car itself. Hahah. Just curious, as far as pricing between the Q5 TDI and SQ5. If we are doing an apples to apples comparison, I'm pretty sure you guys are looking at a Q5 TDI with S-Line, right? So if that's the case, the difference is much less than what you guys are reporting and that's before any discounts. The base TDI is $46,500, while the base SQ5 is $51,900. So on the surface, it's a significant $5,400 price difference. However if you get the S-Line package ($3,500) and the Sport Interior package ($500), then in reality that $5,400 difference has now dropped $4,000. So in reality the difference is only $1,400. Now as far as preferences in colors and gas mileage differences are definitely legitimate. Unless you drive a lot of freeway on the car, you are probably looking at the high teens in MPG. I'm guessing the TDI is probably in the low-mid 20s for mixed driving. So if you pick the TDI, you do it for the Daytona Gray and/or the gas mileage, but probably not because of the price difference between the two. As we would all agree, no matter which one you choose, you are picking an awesome car.
It was a couple of grand difference I believe with a TDI/S-Line/Sport Interior (to me that's not pocket change); however, even though price played a little factor (I want Daytona Gray and on the SQ5 would have been a "special order" so that couple grand difference would have been close to over $4K now), but wasn't the deal breaker, the reason I was swayed towards the TDI instead is due to the TDI pretty much felt like the SQ5 (exception for top end power once you get to higher speeds and of course the awesome sound of the SQ5), but with better MPG's. The TDI interior with sport looked pretty much the same as the SQ5, and I believe with S-Line, the exterior was the same look as SQ5 as well. So as far as looks, they look pretty much alike with the S-Line and Sport interior package on TDI (there could be differences here and there but I didn't see it at the time). reading reports of low teens MPG's on SQ5 (spirited driving of course...as I did in the S5) kinda killed my buzz for it. Now if MPG's is something you don't care about, then I would tell you without hesitation...go for the SQ5, don't even look at anything else, not even the Macan! I drive over 30 miles each way to work and just really hated stopping a couple times a week at the gas station in the S5 to fill up. Never had a TDI so I wanted to be part of that club as well since Audi TDI's have always been spoken very highly of...I hope it's true and I won't have issues with my TDI lol
Old 03-06-2014, 01:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

@ alatsacto - you also have to consider the price of the SQ5 with options although i do think you are right and most people arent picking the TDI over an SQ based primarily on price.

If money were no object I'd buy one of each (TDI would have to be an S-line because the look is awesome) to see j how much money is actually saved on gas over at least a year or two.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by davidjz
@ alatsacto - you also have to consider the price of the SQ5 with options although i do think you are right and most people arent picking the TDI over an SQ based primarily on price.

If money were no object I'd buy one of each (TDI would have to be an S-line because the look is awesome) to see j how much money is actually saved on gas over at least a year or two.
Most definitely, I totally agree. I was just trying to clear up the numbers, since I'm a numbers guy. Because we went through these exact numbers last year when deciding between the 3.0T, TDI, and SQ5. My wife loved the Q5, so I had to show her the numbers and justify whether we should spend a little more for either the TDI or SQ5.

So if you were ready to get an equally equipped S-Line 3.0T, we will call this the baseline. The equivalent S-Line TDI would cost you an additional $2,600 more from the 3.0T. The equivalent SQ5 would cost you an additional $1,400 more from the TDI or $4,000 more from the 3.0T. No matter whatever other options or packages you add, those are the exact differences and I simply wanted to point out in case there was some confusion. They definitely aren't insignificant numbers, but definitely reasonable numbers to consider.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We struggled choosing between Moonlight Blue and Brilliant Black. They are both very nice.

To tell them apart, we had to put them side by side. It was easier in sunny days and more difficult in an garage. I suspect that over time we could do better at telling them apart.

We ended up ordering the Brilliant Black.