Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MMI black screen problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Agree the dealer should be smart enough to do that!!! They are removing his hitch so they are questioning it. The Power Management stored history data may have pointed to this. He could be consuming more than the acceptable 50mA at shutdown, and maybe it is a bad charging system. The owner should also try his sunroof as that is part of the same group that is first shutdown due to low battery/poor charging conditions.
Well, not sure what the cause was, but they have identified the "5F" as the dead portion of the system. I am not able to see the diagnostics from the testing they did, but the mechanic indicated that his 'tests' did not show any problem with the 'loop'? On discussing the situation with the Audi higher level folks it was suggested they pull one of the F5 parts from another Q5 and try it in my SQ5, and it worked. As a result they have ordered a new unit and will be installing it on Friday when it arrives. If I can get more info then I'll try to put it in here.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jhumph88
Talk about strange timing- Mine just started having this issue, which prompted me to come search on here.
I have a '14 TDI, a little under 65000 miles, and for the past two days the screen would be black for a few seconds after I started it, but holding the "mute" button for the radio would reset it and turn it back on. This morning, though, it was black and didn't respond to anything. After about 5 minutes of driving it booted up, but I'm not looking forward to the next few days.
My initial thought was that since it's a hard-drive based Nav system, that maybe the drive has worn out? The first few times I tried booting it up, I could hear a few quiet clicks/whirrs, kind of the same sounds the old iPods would make as soon as they were about to kick the bucket. Keep us posted!
I am experiencing something similar. When I start the car, the screen stays black but the beeping for the park assist, radio etc. can still be heard, audio ok, no video. I noticed this only happens after I wash it. If I let it sit for a while or do an MMI re-set after it runs for a few minutes, the screen comes back on. I think something is getting wet that shouldn't be. I tried to replicate and isolate the problem by hosing down a small section of the car at a time and then checking the screen. Naturally, I could not get it to fail when I wanted it to. I ran VCDS Autoscans and came up with the same malfunctions each time it happened. I cleared them a couple of times and it showed no faults until the next time I washed it. Anyone know where these are located so I can check and see if my water theory is right? Any other ideas about what might be going on?

Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533)

1 Fault Found:
00384 - Optical Databus
011 - Open Circuit – Intermittent

Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794)
1 Fault Found:
02067 - Optical Databus; Unpermitted Wake-Up Request
000 - - - Intermittent

2016 3.0T P+

Thanks,
Old 10-17-2016, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HZ60
I am experiencing something similar. When I start the car, the screen stays black but the beeping for the park assist, radio etc. can still be heard, audio ok, no video. I noticed this only happens after I wash it. If I let it sit for a while or do an MMI re-set after it runs for a few minutes, the screen comes back on. I think something is getting wet that shouldn't be. I tried to replicate and isolate the problem by hosing down a small section of the car at a time and then checking the screen. Naturally, I could not get it to fail when I wanted it to. I ran VCDS Autoscans and came up with the same malfunctions each time it happened. I cleared them a couple of times and it showed no faults until the next time I washed it. Anyone know where these are located so I can check and see if my water theory is right? Any other ideas about what might be going on?

Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533)

1 Fault Found:
00384 - Optical Databus
011 - Open Circuit – Intermittent

Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794)
1 Fault Found:
02067 - Optical Databus; Unpermitted Wake-Up Request
000 - - - Intermittent

2016 3.0T P+

Thanks,
Update:

I found the culprit and it has nothing to do with water ingress. I tried getting it to fail and throw codes again while washing it Saturday, nothing. I did some research and started looking into other possible causes. The battery management system load shedding feature seemed like a good place to start. After I wash and dry the outside, I open the rear hatch, the hood and all 4 doors to clean and dry the jambs and engine bay. This takes a while and turns on a bunch of lights. I got out the VCDS today and tried to confirm my new theory with no water involved. I ran a baseline scan and checked the battery voltage and % charge with the measuring blocks in module 19. The autoscan and optical bus diagnostic scans were clean and the MMI was working fine. The battery was reading 12.2 volts. The state of charge however was only at 76%. With the nice weather for the last couple of months, I’ve been driving my M Roadster for the most part. The Q has only been out for a few miles maybe once a week. Not at all good for the battery, I know. With the engine off, I opened all the doors and turned on the MMI to see what happened as the battery drained. Sure enough, about 5 minutes later at 72% charge all hell broke loose. The backup camera stopped working except for the parking assist beeps and a bunch of car and other settings were grayed out. It said this feature is not available or something like that on several screens. I ran another scan and had faults all over the place. 19 Can Gateway, 47 Sound System, 56, Radio and 5F Information Electric were all showing malfunctions. I started the car, charged the battery back up to 77%, re-set the MMI and cleared all the faults. Everything was back in working order and there were no faults on anything. Lesson learned. Time to invest in a battery tender, any suggestions?
Old 11-15-2017, 05:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay so i have the same problem on 2012 a6 3l . When i start the car i can see that first there is a light , but when it flips it gets black. Everything working , radio, media , camera...but there is no view just black screen.what should i do? You think it's wires? No connection?
Old 11-17-2017, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

12.2 volts static (engine not running) is too low.A battery that's been sitting for a while should read min.12.5.A good battery recently charged by the alternator should be like 12.8V. Have your battery load tested with a quality tester Snap-On or similar.That will eliminate a bunch of other possibilities.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Tomb01
Well, not sure what the cause was, but they have identified the "5F" as the dead portion of the system. I am not able to see the diagnostics from the testing they did, but the mechanic indicated that his 'tests' did not show any problem with the 'loop'? On discussing the situation with the Audi higher level folks it was suggested they pull one of the F5 parts from another Q5 and try it in my SQ5, and it worked. As a result they have ordered a new unit and will be installing it on Friday when it arrives. If I can get more info then I'll try to put it in here.
What exactly is the "5F" part? Having this issue on my 2011 S5.... my first thought was that I was seeing the effects of a dying battery (still on the original) as I let the car sit for a while and the battery came close to fully discharged....

My independent dealer is trying to tell me that the MMI unit should be replaced which I'm pretty sure (hoping) is not the case.

Is the 5F module easy to replace and how expensive is it?

Thanks for your help
Nick
Old 08-17-2021, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jhumph88
Talk about strange timing- Mine just started having this issue, which prompted me to come search on here.
I have a '14 TDI, a little under 65000 miles, and for the past two days the screen would be black for a few seconds after I started it, but holding the "mute" button for the radio would reset it and turn it back on. This morning, though, it was black and didn't respond to anything. After about 5 minutes of driving it booted up, but I'm not looking forward to the next few days.
My initial thought was that since it's a hard-drive based Nav system, that maybe the drive has worn out? The first few times I tried booting it up, I could hear a few quiet clicks/whirrs, kind of the same sounds the old iPods would make as soon as they were about to kick the bucket. Keep us posted!
Did you ever fix this? Mine is doing the exact same thing... Please let me know. Thanks!
Old 08-17-2021, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by FJRZ83
Did you ever fix this? Mine is doing the exact same thing... Please let me know. Thanks!
Mine turned out to be a blown fuse in the trunk. Replaced and no issues since!