Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MMI interface, satellite radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are the screenshots:

Name:  8ebccf9b-463c-4116-9f3a-717077f725b8.png
Views: 5675
Size:  41.6 KB

Select "Band" on the top right. Then the screen will look like this:
Name:  a2c68514-d81c-404a-b0bc-c93469a2f168.png
Views: 5749
Size:  34.3 KB

Then just select Sirius and you'll see the channels (or lack thereof if the car isn't subscribed.

Last edited by iaflyer; 02-11-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

It's a total PITA connecting your iPhone to your vehicle through the glove box every time you enter. Being an iPhone 6 user (Lightning connector), and the vehicle having a 30-pin I just went on ebay and grabbed up a used iPod classic. Sync it with your computer and it'll maintain all the fancy playlists you have on your phone. Depending on how much music you have, the 160gb iPods are selling for around $150-200.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I recently got a 2010 q5 with MMI. I have an iphone 6 and I put the official (bought from apple store) 30-pin to lightning adapter on the MMI. It sort of works. There's two problems:

1. I need to plug in the adapter to the iphone BEFORE plugging it in to the 30-pin/MMI. If I plug the adapter in to the MMI before connecting it to iphone, it doesn't work at all.

2. Even then, I have to pick songs/albums from the phone, not the console. The steering wheel control works to stop/start the music and adjust volume. but not to change tracks.

My friend tried it with her iPhone 4S and the MMI worked great with none of these problems. It's only my iPhone 6.

I have HW version H04 and SW version 0351. If I go back to the dealer can I get a software update that might fix? They're an official VW dealer.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gil42
I recently got a 2010 q5 with MMI. I have an iphone 6 and I put the official (bought from apple store) 30-pin to lightning adapter on the MMI. It sort of works. There's two problems:

1. I need to plug in the adapter to the iphone BEFORE plugging it in to the 30-pin/MMI. If I plug the adapter in to the MMI before connecting it to iphone, it doesn't work at all.
Interesting. I have purchased the same adapter, and hooked it up to my 30 pin connector on my 2010 A6, but I don't have that problem. I leave the adapter connected and just plug in my iPhone 6, it works fine. What you might try is plugging it all in, then resetting the MMI.

This is the procedure:

Audi MMI force restart procedure – 2G & 3G

Locate button:
SETUP button
big control ****
upper-right soft button
Press and hold those button at the same time.

After two seconds release buttons. Audi MMI screen will go black for few seconds and system will reboot.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for everyone's input. Using the advice found here, I have part of my problems solved. I do have some Iphone 5 interface with MMI through the glove box port by using the 30 pin to lightning adaptor. I also have the blue tooth adaptor if needed. My granddaughter indicated she would probably just get an Ipod and use hers or her friends phones via the adaptor only on occasions.

My other problem with the satellite option not showing as available is still lingering. The Audi service manager agreed it came with the capability but also could not understand why it did not show. I indicated I would call Sirius and see what they could figure but he said I could not find out my radio ID without the satellite feature showing and selected . Catch 22 I guess. It seems I saw on this board where someone with a similar problem updated the MMI firmware and immediately the satellite indicator showed up. The Audi guy said there was no guarantee an update would work and he could not update the software without a valid reason, regardless of my paying for the cost. He gave me a printout of everything on the vehicle but offered no other solutions adding only that no one knows what has gone on with this 2010 Q5 in the last 5 years. I'm certain he was just blowing me off and went along with it due to being on a Saturday, closing at 4:00 pm and after 3:PM at the time. Another small problem also blown off was with the passenger door only opening with the inside handle. Unable to fix or offer a solution the service guy only guessed it to be possible body work on that side. Whenever I can get my hands back on the vehicle again, I will take it back and sit down with him on what can be done. I think he will work with me despite my not having bought the car from them. My biggest problem is getting my granddaughter back into town when I really have time to look her car over and try things. I'll call and discuss all this with the Audi guy in the meantime. I say the satellite and other small things are my problem because my granddaughter does not see them or their absence as a problem. She is perfectly delighted with the vehicle as is and is not making any effort to humor me and give me some time with her car. Its like all the other ridiculous 1st world features on her Audi Q5 Prestige. You don't know how important they are till you try them. Heated and cooled seats and cup holders indeed. Pshew!
Old 02-23-2016, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iaflyer
Here are the screenshots:

Select "Band" on the top right. Then the screen will look like this:

Then just select Sirius and you'll see the channels (or lack thereof if the car isn't subscribed.
Does the MMI have the ability to display the sirius radio channel logo ?

I don't think i've ever seen it and most cars do in their display
Old 02-23-2016, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Aviator787
Does the MMI have the ability to display the sirius radio channel logo ?

I don't think i've ever seen it and most cars do in their display

Aviator, her screen does not. When the band is selected only the AM and FM selections are possible. Makes me think satellite is not available, however according to the serial number and all the manuals and literature, the satellite capability is available. It is a 2010 with Prestige trim. I don't think they made a Q5 without Satellite in 2010. Appears to be a mystery to me at this point. I'll post any breakthrough when I try a few things next time she is in town.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Wilson38
Aviator, her screen does not. When the band is selected only the AM and FM selections are possible. Makes me think satellite is not available, however according to the serial number and all the manuals and literature, the satellite capability is available. It is a 2010 with Prestige trim. I don't think they made a Q5 without Satellite in 2010. Appears to be a mystery to me at this point. I'll post any breakthrough when I try a few things next time she is in town.
Although the Q5 is out of warranty, that fact that Sirius radio isn't available should be a reason enough for the dealer to update the MMI. They will probably charge you for it, but at least it's a reason.

Also, try the dealer at a different time, Saturday afternoon is not a good time - All the guys want to do is go home. If you're not getting any satisfaction from the dealer, try another Audi dealer if you city has more than one. If not an option, call Audi corporate and enlist their help. Their # is (800) 822-AUDI

Last edited by iaflyer; 03-03-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

iaflyer, thanks for your suggestions. I agree that my first dealings with the Audi people was at a bad time for their complete attention to my problem. Before going back to them, I have an alternate route I will be trying. In my hometown we have a foreign auto repair guy, probably not a coincidence he is German, that has been in business since the air cooled rear engine Volkswagen Beatles of the 1960,s. My family had a Beatle and would take it to this guy when I and my brother, as teenagers, would mess it up and it ultimately require professional repairs. Much to my dad's dismay and unknown to him at the time, I loved trying to speed shift that floor shift despite all the slack. Sorry, my mind started drifting and I had to slap my self to stop it.

Back from the 1960's and into the 2010 Q5 problems. This foreign auto repair guy and now his sons are several cuts above jack leg mechanics and I trust them until I'm shown wrong. I will be swapping vehicles with my granddaughter this Sunday and taking her Q5 to the German and his sons on Monday morning. They are going to work on what I think is a passenger door sensor, an oil change, and brake pads if needed. He will deal with a MMI software update if he has the right stuff after seeing the car. He did mention they dealt primarily with the mechanics of keeping the autos running smoothly. The only thing that gives me pause is I noticed them working on several Mercedes and BMWs, but Audis not so much. Well, no Audis at all. I'll just have to see next week and will let those of you interested know how it went. Thanks again for the input and suggestions.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson38
iaflyer, thanks for your suggestions. I agree that my first dealings with the Audi people was at a bad time for their complete attention to my problem. Before going back to them, I have an alternate route I will be trying. In my hometown we have a foreign auto repair guy, probably not a coincidence he is German, that has been in business since the air cooled rear engine Volkswagen Beatles of the 1960,s. My family had a Beatle and would take it to this guy when I and my brother, as teenagers, would mess it up and it ultimately require professional repairs. Much to my dad's dismay and unknown to him at the time, I loved trying to speed shift that floor shift despite all the slack. Sorry, my mind started drifting and I had to slap my self to stop it.

Back from the 1960's and into the 2010 Q5 problems. This foreign auto repair guy and now his sons are several cuts above jack leg mechanics and I trust them until I'm shown wrong. I will be swapping vehicles with my granddaughter this Sunday and taking her Q5 to the German and his sons on Monday morning. They are going to work on what I think is a passenger door sensor, an oil change, and brake pads if needed. He will deal with a MMI software update if he has the right stuff after seeing the car. He did mention they dealt primarily with the mechanics of keeping the autos running smoothly. The only thing that gives me pause is I noticed them working on several Mercedes and BMWs, but Audis not so much. Well, no Audis at all. I'll just have to see next week and will let those of you interested know how it went. Thanks again for the input and suggestions.
I have read your posts with interest. I have had many audi's in my life, including a 2010 Q5. I had the prestige trim as well. Something is fishy with the MMI. It should recognize AM, FM and Sirius satellite. I think at some point before you purchased the vehicle someone either updated the MMI or replaced the satellite radio and did not re-activate the MMI link. I agree that a non-functioning satellite is enough to have the MMI updated, likely will cost you or if other items - Bluetooth telephone or media streaming are affected, then definitely an update or replacement is in order. Having a RS7 and A8 now made me forget getting my iPad or iPhone to sync on my Q5.

Quick Reply: MMI interface, satellite radio