Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MMI interface, satellite radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LeciaNut, I appreciate your interest. I also am convinced of something sketchy with the MMI, requiring at least an update of the software. like a lot of computer type losses, even if not showing on your screen or deleted, the data is in there somewhere. I’m convinced the capacity to receive the satellite signal is in the physical part of the radio, it just needs the computer command. I’ll know on Monday if my German guy has the right software stuff to deal with an update. If not, I will go back to the Audi guy with whatever MMI problem I can dream up to justify Audi doing the update on my dime. Surely there is some AMI connection problem with some type mp3 device that justifies a software MMI update by Audi. If not, I’ll be asking for information from this board about what I need to purchase and take to my “German” guy to enable him to do the update and other hacks I will eventually need. I can see my granddaughter’s friends enjoying music videos and DVDs via the VIM being disabled. Thanks again for your comments.

Numbers on her 2010 Q5 info screen are;
Software version: HNAV_US_P0110_D1; and Nav. database version: 8R0060884F_NAR 5.3.4, for whatever information they represent or reveal.

Oh yeah, those are some damn nice rides, my granddaughter would say Whips, you listed in your signature area.

Last edited by Wilson38; 03-03-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson38
LeciaNut, I appreciate your interest. I also am convinced of something sketchy with the MMI, requiring at least an update of the software. like a lot of computer type losses, even if not showing on your screen or deleted, the data is in there somewhere. I’m convinced the capacity to receive the satellite signal is in the physical part of the radio, it just needs the computer command. I’ll know on Monday if my German guy has the right software stuff to deal with an update. If not, I will go back to the Audi guy with whatever MMI problem I can dream up to justify Audi doing the update on my dime. Surely there is some AMI connection problem with some type mp3 device that justifies a software MMI update by Audi. If not, I’ll be asking for information from this board about what I need to purchase and take to my “German” guy to enable him to do the update and other hacks I will eventually need. I can see my granddaughter’s friends enjoying music videos and DVDs via the VIM being disabled. Thanks again for your comments.

Software version: HNAV_US_P0110_D1; and Nav. database version: 8R0060884F_NAR 5.3.4, for whatever information they represent or reveal.

Oh yeah, those are some damn nice rides, my granddaughter would say Whips, you listed in your signature area.
Good luck, when my lease ran out in 2013. the MMI or nav map update was not done because of lack of support from Audi of America, fearful that someone did a DIY update and could not get everything to work.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:56 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

If you go into the cargo area of your Q, the left (drivers side) wall is a false panel that pops off. If you remove it you will see a box that looks like the one in the auction link below. That is your Radio/Sirius module. On it is a part number. Eg 4G0... 8R0... If you tell me the part number listed on that box, I can tell you if it supports Sirius or not. Just to help rule things out.

AUDI A4 A5 A6 Q5 RADIO UNIT 4G0035082 | eBay

Last edited by Mrclopec; 03-03-2016 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am the guy who had a MMI with no Sirius radio. I had version 110 and updated it to 133 and the Sirius radio appeared.

Although it's possible that someone removed the sat radio, I think that's unlikely. If the Q5 guy wants to look, he can look and see if the Sat radio box is still in the car. I don't know where it is in the Q5. Or he could get a VCDS scan and see if it shows up there. But, these are a bit more advanced options.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]

Those are the exact versions that I had in my A6 before I updated it. No Sirius, after I updated it, I had Sirius. I don't know why it didn't have it before, I bought the car used. If I had known before I bought it that it was supposed to have Sirius, I would of gotten the dealer to fix it as part of the purchase.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks to all comments. I mentioned above that I would first let my local "German" Foreign Auto Repair guy try to update my MMI if he found the right stuff. By right stuff, I'm guessing he needs some type VCDS capability for the Audi Q5 different from what he uses on BMWs and Mercs. I also intended him to check and replace brake pads if needed. I recently read here that the rear pads have some sort of pistons that have to be released via VCDS commands or risk screwing things up. Am I correct in figuring he should not mess with my breaks if he cannot update the MMI due to not having the correct VCDM setup for an Audi Q5? I may just be seeing ghost but I wanted to ask. Thanks
Old 03-04-2016, 09:17 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks to all comments. I mentioned above that I would first let my local "German" Foreign Auto Repair guy try to update my MMI if he found the right stuff. By right stuff, I'm guessing he needs some type VCDS capability for the Audi Q5 different from what he uses on BMWs and Mercs. I also intended him to check and replace brake pads if needed. I recently read here that the rear pads have some sort of pistons that have to be released via VCDS commands or risk screwing things up. Am I correct in figuring he should not mess with my breaks if he cannot update the MMI due to not having the correct VCDM setup for an Audi Q5? I may just be seeing ghost but I wanted to ask. Thanks
No. Updating the MMI takes a completely different system. As long as he is a competent mechanic and knows what he is doing, VCDS should be fine in assisting him in changing the brakes.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mrclopec, thanks for quickly relieving my fears. As anyone can tell I'm very unfamiliar with talk and procedures involving the different codes, hacks, and VCDS capabilities. However, I do need to learn and ask about at least enough to try to keep the Q5 out of trouble by someone not truly knowing what their doing.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mrclope and anyone interested, I Almost had a Mayday call out to the forum last night. I finally got my hands on the vehicle and thought I would go into a hidden menu prior to taking it to shop today. Long story short, I think I got the items back that seemed to be lost after I hit the enter or center button instead of the return button below it. I called myself exiting a screen but it seems a disable feature of some sort was lined up with the arrow at the time. After a few restarts, I think it is back like it was. As I mentioned above, I need to try to keep the Q5 out of trouble by someone not truly knowing what they are doing.

To the point, I did locate a screen in Engineering under the title; Device: Radio U Siriu. It showed a Device Name: Radio U Siriu, SW number: 4F0036082A, SW index: 0021, SW date: 25.02.09, HW number: 4F0035082, and HW index: H45. Also within Engineering, was a group entitled, Current MOST Configuration. Device Items listed were H-BN-NA 0, Radio U Siriu 1, AMP_LC_P 2, and a blank space with 3 beside it. In addition to the Radio U Siru SW and HW numbers above were SW and HW numbers for H-BN-NA and AMP_LC_P. Interestingly when I entered the blank number 3 area the screen was Device; Null, and the SW number, SW Index, SW date and HW number were also designated null. All that said, It appears Sirius signal capable software and hardware numbers come up in the MMI screens or system. Alas, I have not yet checked the rear compartment area to verify the physical unit is there or is also the same as the computer numbers. I'll post any info I get from the shop as it occurs. Hopefully they have the skills I desperately lack.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Audi is purposely causing issues with our Radio's equipped with Sirius. If you do a search you will find tons of post of people not having Sirius as a option, just AM FM. I had my MMI updated on my2010 A6 Prestige hoping to get Sirius back but no go.
To be honest get a VCDS scan. If you have any faults your not going to get Sirius back just by updating. I don't mean to sound negative but I'm being honest. I even tried changing the coding and that didn't help. GL

Quick Reply: MMI interface, satellite radio