Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MMI - Necessity or Luxury?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI - Necessity or Luxury?

I am torn between adding MMI to my 2012 Q5 order and I was wondering if current owners could give me some feedback. It seems a majority of members on here have MMI.

I have yet to drive one without MMI, I guess for me I hate paying for Navigation when I know Ill never use it. Yes I will use all the other features that is included in this which is why I will probably end up going with that option.

So, current owners with or without MMI can you give me some more feedback outside of the Nav feature? Could you live without MMI? And for those that do live without MMI do you wish you would have added it in the first place?

I know I know, ~$15 a month should'nt make a difference but it's the principal of having a feature that I'll never use.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree with the "principle" of it too. As far as I'm concerned the Navi is pure crap. On my last 3000 mile trip back to canada I. Took my Garmin. There are so many non intuitive ways about the audi nav compared to a 200$ garmin, no to mention the missing POI and updated infrastructure. You can find almost everything of desire in a garmin....not so with the audi navi.
Blah blah blah. Soapbox. I'm not pleased with the level of technology of it compared to the other components.

Dave
Good luck
Old 06-09-2011, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I prior had a Garmin and can't argue it's easier to use in general (particularly destination entry). But this time around I didn't want the bother of mounting it and also being concerned with portable GPS break-ins (a rash of them in my area) so got the nicely integrated MMI display. With the Nav package on the A5 came the backup proximity sensors and camera, as well as HD radio, so in aggregate it was worth it for me. I've found the Nav to be very accurate but I'm sure it varies by area. It also doesn't talk back to me [recalculating!] when I purposely alter course.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Great question. I debated the same thing because I never used the Nav in my '08 X3 and felt as though I threw $ out the window by getting it. I got it on my Q5 because I wanted the rear cam and parking sensors but I'm finding that I'm actually using the Nav, though more for the maps than for directions. Those who more actively use the Nav will be able to better weigh in on its value. I've had my Q5 since 12/22/10 and don't regret the decision to add MMI. Good luck with your plans to get a Q5; mine has surpassed my expectations.

Last edited by S4forDC; 06-09-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It's nice that we have Audi enthusiasts even warping the space-time continuum to address these questions.

Originally Posted by S4forDC
.... I've had my Q5 since 12/22/11 and don't regret the decision to add MMI. ....
Old 06-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well to be honest, my conundrum is getting the car I want without overdoing it...

Because let's be honest, if it didn't matter, I'd go out and buy a Q5 Prestige with every freaking option including some crazy *** paint color...

But I'm trying to be somewhat practical in building "my" car. This is a first for me in many regards, first car that I can call mine, first car that will not be leased, borrowed or stolen.. Honestly, my fiancee told me last night, it's your car honey, whatever color combo, options, etc you want... I just don't want to drop $55K!

So that's where I am torn, 2.0 vs 3.2, etc, etc, etc! It's the S-line that's got me by the *****, I just think overall the design is much sportier(obviously)

So I keep thinking...hmmm I can drop the MMI, get the S-Line plus blah blah blah. But then I read posts about the backup cameras, maps, etc etc etc. And I just don't know what to do! Thanks for all the quick responses!
Old 06-09-2011, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's the tough thing.....that package does come with other usefull and safety oriented features that I do appreciate. The navi does make me feel ripped off though. There are many threads about the performance of the navi unit and accuaracy of the maps.
Here's a rant that I had.....I think I need some psych help.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2789655
Old 06-09-2011, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

^ As a frugal Yankee New Englander I faced the same "bang for the buck" decision points and similarly self-debated for quite some time. In my case I didn't want the S-Line (rather the Sport Pkg) which in my mind made the Nav acqusition a bit easier.

At the end of the day you shouldn't leave anything on the table that you may thereafter regret. I've done that too many times.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and given that the CURRENT maps are out of date and no update in sight...

I too am underwhelmed by the nav....

Audi USA's number is 800 367 2834 to educate them on our disdain for that small part on an otherwise FINE vehicle !
Old 06-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also it makes it even that much harder to pull the trigger on the MMI, knowing that the next gen MMI(Google Earth, etc) will come equipped on the A3 and the Q5 hybrid(whenever they release it in the US)

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/a...coming-to-aud/

Quick Reply: MMI - Necessity or Luxury?