Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MMI - Necessity or Luxury?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by loscoz
This is a bit off here but does the Garmin have to be plugged into a power port?
If it does then you're goign to have wires/cords allover, if you are as my husband won't leave home with out it, HAS to bring along his Valentine 1 everywhere and that needs a power port.
Having the Nav MMI is 1 less thing to have to find a place for and plug in.
my .02 of exp.
They charge up, so they don't have to be plugged in constantly, and our cord fits into 3 of the 12v plugs. When it's plugged in to the ashtray, the cord is completely out of the way, and it also fits in the center console, including the one that services the rear passengers.

We travel like gypsies all over the world, so we plug our all if our trip destinations in and use our Garmins pedestrian style as well! We've even showed Taxi drivers how to get back to our hotels before...lol

So for our needs, getting it built in was a bit redundant...and it seemed as if there were quite a few issues that people were expressing regarding cost vs. effectiveness.

On the other and, I've never had a built in one, so I just might not know what I'm missing!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

What good is any navi if it doesn't have a listing for a Lowes or Home Depot ???
Old 06-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by buckeyebill
Well to be honest, my conundrum is getting the car I want without overdoing it...

Because let's be honest, if it didn't matter, I'd go out and buy a Q5 Prestige with every freaking option including some crazy *** paint color...

But I'm trying to be somewhat practical in building "my" car. This is a first for me in many regards, first car that I can call mine, first car that will not be leased, borrowed or stolen.. Honestly, my fiancee told me last night, it's your car honey, whatever color combo, options, etc you want... I just don't want to drop $55K!

So that's where I am torn, 2.0 vs 3.2, etc, etc, etc! It's the S-line that's got me by the *****, I just think overall the design is much sportier(obviously)

So I keep thinking...hmmm I can drop the MMI, get the S-Line plus blah blah blah. But then I read posts about the backup cameras, maps, etc etc etc. And I just don't know what to do! Thanks for all the quick responses!
I had a similar issue and ultimately had to make a decision. The Advanced key being available on the lower trims for the 2012's helped make my decision for me though.

On the Q5, the 3.2 comes with the Sline exterior package (excepts the rims) standard. What is about the Sline package that you feel is compelling you? The rims? The interior details?
Old 06-10-2011, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I do not have the Nav, I just couldn't justify $3000 for it. I have Nav on my phone and it works great for $10 a month and I can take it in any car I want and it speaks the directions to me.

I wanted the Nav mostly because of the back up camera, but now I learned I didn't need that. The mirrors are very good and actually the Q5 has pretty good rear visibility.

It depends what you feel is important to you. The one regret I have with my order was not ordering the Bang & Olufsson stereo, I keep hearing that it the biggest bargain of all of the options. The Audi concert system still sounds good, but for $800 I should've just added that in.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

My 3 year old Garmin now requires a plug-in as the battery won't hold a charge. Another reason ...

Plus I know where my Lowes and Home Depot are and I can use my iPhone for walk-around nav.

Not a big deal, but the Nav package also adds DVD play (when parked - VAG over-writable)) thanks to the higher resolution graphics card and display.

Originally Posted by loscoz
This is a bit off here but does the Garmin have to be plugged into a power port?
If it does then you're goign to have wires/cords allover, if you are as my husband won't leave home with out it, HAS to bring along his Valentine 1 everywhere and that needs a power port.
Having the Nav MMI is 1 less thing to have to find a place for and plug in.
my .02 of exp.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by devx
I had a similar issue and ultimately had to make a decision. The Advanced key being available on the lower trims for the 2012's helped make my decision for me though.

On the Q5, the 3.2 comes with the Sline exterior package (excepts the rims) standard. What is about the Sline package that you feel is compelling you? The rims? The interior details?

It's pretty much all styling for me. It comes down to 2 things, the grille/fog light area and the S-line steering wheel. I actually like the 19" rims so it's not the big honking rims that I want either.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Can anyone explain why the list of...say gas stations or food places or rest stops when searched are never organized by distance or even alphabetical or any type of organization ???
Old 06-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by flybooey
Can anyone explain why the list of...say gas stations or food places or rest stops when searched are never organized by distance or even alphabetical or any type of organization ???
I was reading on another forum that the distance is based on literally the way the crow flies...
Old 06-11-2011, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had seen that somewhere too, which is why the initial distance values populated are quickly changed to another distance generally further in value. Stil does not explain why the list is not in order of the closest first. If i do a search for restaurants it shows a list like:
Damons 7 miles
TGIF 4 miles
Olive garden 0.5 miles
Burger King 9 miles
etc etc etc

very odd

Originally Posted by buckeyebill
I was reading on another forum that the distance is based on literally the way the crow flies...
Old 06-12-2011, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang furrin programmers !!!

they put the verbs in the wrong order too

One of these days we'll get a map update and then we'll have all the restaurants out of order ...

Please, everyone call Audi USA to 'encourage' them to push an update out that is less than two years old... My Garmin gets quarterly updates and THAT's not fast enough sometimes... My Android phones and Tablets are even more up to date with Google....

Quick Reply: MMI - Necessity or Luxury?