Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

My Q5 order story

Old 02-28-2012, 04:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Q5 order story

So i ordered a Q5 2.0 Premium at a dealership more than a week ago. Audi dealership was asking originally for a $3000 downpayment. They said since the car im ordering is basically not loaded they would want a $3000 deposit. Im like hell no! i am ordering a car i want, so paying $3000 just for that reason doesn't make sense to me. Anyway, Dealer now wanted $1500, i said nope i'll go for $1000. They said okay $1000 but it's not refundable because they said they want to make sure i dont change my mind on the car (which is i think is bull..you'd think i'd just change my mind and give them $1000?) but anyway, im like okay because i want this car.

So i they go ahead take my deposit and then i signed the order form. Salesperson went into sales manager's office and they took quite a while in there because they said they had to call Audi to order the car. THen, a week later she calls me saying Audi of north america cancelled all the orders saying audi is no longer producing 2012 model. So im thinking what the heck is going on here? I went to this dealer ship because they were my local dealership and i actually liked the salesperson but did i just get played here?

Good thing, i was still in contact with other dealerships. Called this other dealership and salesman said that they can definitely order the car. I had to ask him repeatedly if he's sure and he said definitely. Maybe the other dealership didn't want to honor my price anymore. Audi salesman told me that it's not that Audi stopped producing 2012 model but it's about car allocation per dealership. He said all they need to do is change the configuration on their order. So i went to the other audi dealership the next day and put my "refundable" deposit down to order my Q5. I was told that it will take about 10 weeks for my Q5 to arrive. Hopefully, this dealer wont call me back a week later to tell me the same thing

Meanwhile, i am still waiting for my $1000 refund on my credit card from the other dealership and hopefully they will refund me soon or else i will take legal actions.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Last year we ordered in early May just prior to close of MY11 (car was in mfr queue, pun intended, and was swapped from another dealer's order allocation, as I was very specific with color and options). $1,000 credit card deposit was refundable. Dealer allowed another $1,000 on the card (for miles) when delivered roughly 6 weeks later.

Sounds like your first dealer may have indeed had an order allocation problem, but can't speak to the actual production schedule for MY12.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Something definitely smells funny with that situation. Non-refundable deposits are a rarity, and I'm not sure they can even hold up legally if challenged. Maybe if you ordered a custom color or something odd, but I think even then they would have to indicate very specific terms in writing. I think you dodged a proverbial bullet, and you were wise to go elsewhere. Your credit card should be credited immediately. If they continue to drag their feet, simply call the issuing bank and challenge the charges. They should have the ability to retract the charges and credit your account while they're sorting things out with the dealership.

After you complete the purchase of your car, you will receive a rather detailed survey from AoA on your purchasing experience. My advice is to complete the survey, making sure to explain your story about the "other" dealership. Good luck, and make sure you post pics when you bring your baby home.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Since these deposits are usually done through credit cards, you should have NO problem disputing it and getting your money back--especially if you did it with AMEX.

If you can visit that dealership where you put the $1k, you should be able to put closure to it that day. Call the General Manager or set an appointment with him to move the ball forward.

If you were able to do a special order with the other dealership, count yourself VERY lucky. I've received negatives from EVERY dealership regarding 2012 special orders.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dealership said to expect my $1000 credit Tuesday but i still don't see it. So i'll check with them again and i'll give them a couple days. I did use a credit card so i should be okay.

There is really nothing odd with what i ordered. Premium 2.0T white with Heated seats and Sunroof.

When i first went to this dealership, they strictly telling me, we sell our cars at MSRP! because you know of supply and demand but after about a week of going to other dealerships and getting offers. i got the price way below MSRP and i asked them can you match this other dealers offer and they said yes. Just like i said, I went to them because they my local Audi dealership.

I guess they decided they didn't want to sell me my Q5 for that price because they wont make as much profit so they cancelled my order. If they told me that straight up, then i wouldn't be this upset. I did email Audi of North America and asked them if what the dealer told me is the truth.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is not much of a demand for Q5 premium, do you mean premium plus?
My guess is that the sales manager didnt like the final numbers and didnt want to waste an 2012 allocation on such a deal.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
There is not much of a demand for Q5 premium, do you mean premium plus?
My guess is that the sales manager didnt like the final numbers and didnt want to waste an 2012 allocation on such a deal.
I ordered the Premium "no Plus" but with heated seats and sunroof. I think you are exactly right. They realized they wont get as much profit form what we agreed on so they cancelled my order.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This must have been a smaller dealer. A lot of these smaller dealers dont get a lot of allocation and they want to sell what little supply they have at a max. profit. Also, they dont want to get stuck with a premium trim if you decide you didnt want the car.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HotRodW
Something definitely smells funny with that situation. Non-refundable deposits are a rarity, and I'm not sure they can even hold up legally if challenged. Maybe if you ordered a custom color or something odd, but I think even then they would have to indicate very specific terms in writing. I think you dodged a proverbial bullet, and you were wise to go elsewhere. Your credit card should be credited immediately. If they continue to drag their feet, simply call the issuing bank and challenge the charges. They should have the ability to retract the charges and credit your account while they're sorting things out with the dealership.

After you complete the purchase of your car, you will receive a rather detailed survey from AoA on your purchasing experience. My advice is to complete the survey, making sure to explain your story about the "other" dealership. Good luck, and make sure you post pics when you bring your baby home.
+1. Good Point.
In CA all deposit refundable by law.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The dealer (im tempted to name it) is supposedly the no.1 Audi rated dealer in New Jersey. They're a Stasis dealer as well. i do know that they only have one Audi dealership in jersey.

I've repeatedly assured them that i wont change my mind on the car. Even spoke to the sales manager. That's what the $1000 non-refundable deposit is for.

I already disputed the $1000 on my card because i still dont see the credit as of yesterday. So i dont know what is going with this dealership but i will definitely let AoA know about my experience.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Q5 order story