Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

My Q5 TDI Slow Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 12:31 PM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

LOVE the Lava....congrats! Looks sweet.

-tgt
Old 05-08-2014, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great and thanks for posting! Mine arrives in about 6 weeks and these types of posts are invaluable for planning our own builds.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rudymon
- Suntek Carbon Film front windows 35% to "almost match" the rear. Honestly it's a tad darker than the rear.
Interesting, when I had mine done, the rears metered at 29%. Seems like a 35 shouldn't get you objectively darker, though it could also be a factor of the colors of the privacy glass and the tint. (Subjectively darker but VLT is still slightly higher.)

Not that it matters which is really darker, just that you got what you wanted out of the tinting. (Did 50 all around on mine to add heat rejection without going very dark, especially in front. I kinda like the lighter front look, personally. Not sure why.)
Old 05-08-2014, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did 50% on the front driver and passenger side windows.

That's the legal % in Illinois if your vehicle has privacy glass on the rear glass. It's a little lighter than I'd prefer, but after 18 months I've adjusted and don't mind the lighter look. Plus, I wanted to avoid any potential hassles.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks... 35% is the legal limit in WA but many people obviously go darker. I saw an A4 just today that looked like it had Limo tint all around... completely blacked out. To each his own.

More pics...
Attached Images   
Old 05-09-2014, 12:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Looks clean! That color looks awesome, I'm sure photos don't do it justice. Any plans on future upgrades?

Just got mine a few weeks ago, 3.0 Ibis White. Debadged and 35% Lumar tint in the fronts
Old 05-09-2014, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sibalwerks
Looks clean! That color looks awesome, I'm sure photos don't do it justice. Any plans on future upgrades?

Just got mine a few weeks ago, 3.0 Ibis White. Debadged and 35% Lumar tint in the fronts
Sibalwerks,
Thanks. The pix can't capture the tones in the paint, which has a lot of metallic gold flecks in it. At some distances, in certain light it looks more bronzey brown... other times its nearly black
Old 05-10-2014, 04:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Cost?

Originally Posted by rudymon
Step 2...
- Xpel Ultimate Clear Bra full hood, full fenders, lights, mirrors, door edge, door cups, hatch edge, and bumpers
- Suntek Carbon Film front windows 35% to "almost match" the rear. Honestly it's a tad darker than the rear.
Can you share how much the xpel ultimate costed and whether you're happy with the product?
Old 05-26-2014, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hot Lava update

I must say I'm very happy with the job and the tint that was applied. Except for a few small bubbles that were left in 1 or 2 places, but I plan to go back to the install shop and have those repaired.

I have done a bit more spoiling of my girl over the last few weeks...

Here she is getting Opti Coat Optimum paint sealant
Attached Images      
Old 05-26-2014, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default B&O Stereo Improvements

I really enjoyed the sound of the B&O stereo. I think the additional speakers, added power, and DSP options make it worth the extra $$ compared to the stock stereo. However the stock system provided more low end fullness, or "thump"... the B&O always sounded a little thin. I've been looking for awhile at options that would deliver the quality I wanted, within my price range, and not take away from the factory stock look. I ended up with a solution that that cost my the spare tire after realizing I've actually changed exactly one spare tire in my life and that was before I could afford road side assistance. So, out went the old ported woofer and the inflataspare (which has been pretty widely panned on this forum for its design anyway).

In came a pair of 8" Audio Mobile subs and a custom enclosure, a 500W Memphis Audio amp, and much richer sounding Carlos Santana, more bump to Beyonce (granted she has more than enough bump if you feel what I'm saying :-) all without losing a square inch of utility. The subs are down fired and the sealed custom enclosure fits perfectly where the old spare sat.
Attached Images