Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2013 rear shocks experience at 55K miles

Old 03-16-2018, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default 2013 rear shocks experience at 55K miles

Just posting experience FWIW. For rear suspension, figure it may apply to any Q5 with the conventional (non ride assist) set up. About 3 months ago I noticed what seemed like a little sway together with a high speed oscillation sort of feel in the back of the Q5. Very late 2013 build, about 55,000 miles when I first noticed it. It came up on a local street I realize has sort of uneven pavement, even side to side from decades of use and mediocre municipal paving jobs. The Q5 is not the smoothest ride to begin with, but this felt different than usual. The side to side fast oscillation and slight sway makes car a little less sure footed. Causes you to think about alignment too. On discussing w/ family, indeed some noted some recent car sickness on long trips--without knowing of the shock issue. My experience is right away to think about the shocks, particularly with the more subtle fast oscillation sensation. The wife drives it daily, so my experience is more a step function. I went around the vehicle and indeed found one rear shock with an obvious oil streak down the tube and even blown by air stream to the body from the rear of shock a bit. Thus, note to file: shock life in rear to outright leak was 55K miles on one of them. Sub par in my book, at least to point of outright leakage. But, honestly saw that on a Toyota under still under warranty too, so not unique.

Dealer parts want about $175 web discounted per rear shock. The shocks I pulled out are Monroe IIRC--not what I expected brand wise. Since we owned since new, they are definitely the factory installs. Typical Audi is more like a Boge. Regardless, first I tried to get some KYB's that internally self adjust for the ride, but they are essentially unobtainable here or even internationally even though there is a part number for the set. I ended up with Bilstein comfort level shocks instead, for just over $100 for the pair. As in ¼ the dealer price if bought in pairs! I also replaced the upper shock mount at the same time, since I found those in OES Lemforder on line too. Original strut mounts looked in pretty good shape when I pulled them out, which is what I would expect at really only mid life.

The shocks pretty much just bolt in and out. You have to pull fender liner away to get at the shock mount bolt points above, but that is a lot easier than pulling apart car/SUV interiors where a lot of shocks bolt up. Maybe two hours, just in the driveway with a floor jack and air gun for the lug nuts. Lower bolt torque is pretty high, but do-able with hand tools. Fast oscillation and slight sway feeling definitely gone; ride at best is only marginally better than before. Any alignment question has also evaporated. Still has winter tires on, so ride may clean up a bit more when I swap those out seasonally. I only did rears given both the definite need there, and that fronts require the whole spring disassembly routine.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-16-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Just posting experience FWIW. For rear suspension, figure it may apply to any Q5 with the conventional (non ride assist) set up. About 3 months ago I noticed what seemed like a little sway together with a high speed oscillation sort of feel in the back of the Q5. Very late 2013 build, about 55,000 miles when I first noticed it. It came up on a local street I realize has sort of uneven pavement, even side to side from decades of use and mediocre municipal paving jobs. The Q5 is not the smoothest ride to begin with, but this felt different than usual. The side to side fast oscillation and slight sway makes car a little less sure footed. Causes you to think about alignment too. On discussing w/ family, indeed some noted some recent car sickness on long trips--without knowing of the shock issue. My experience is right away to think about the shocks, particularly with the more subtle fast oscillation sensation. The wife drives it daily, so my experience is more a step function. I went around the vehicle and indeed found one rear shock with an obvious oil streak down the tube and even blown by air stream to the body from the rear of shock a bit. Thus, note to file: shock life in rear to outright leak was 55K miles on one of them. Sub par in my book, at least to point of outright leakage. But, honestly saw that on a Toyota under still under warranty too, so not unique.

Dealer parts want about $175 web discounted per rear shock. The shocks I pulled out are Monroe IIRC--not what I expected brand wise. Since we owned since new, they are definitely the factory installs. Typical Audi is more like a Boge. Regardless, first I tried to get some KYB's that internally self adjust for the ride, but they are essentially unobtainable here or even internationally even though there is a part number for the set. I ended up with Bilstein comfort level shocks instead, for just over $100 for the pair. As in ¼ the dealer price if bought in pairs! I also replaced the upper shock mount at the same time, since I found those in OES Lemforder on line too. Original strut mounts looked in pretty good shape when I pulled them out, which is what I would expect at really only mid life.

The shocks pretty much just bolt in and out. You have to pull fender liner away to get at the shock mount bolt points above, but that is a lot easier than pulling apart car/SUV interiors where a lot of shocks bolt up. Maybe two hours, just in the driveway with a floor jack and air gun for the lug nuts. Lower bolt torque is pretty high, but do-able with hand tools. Fast oscillation and slight sway feeling definitely gone; ride at best is only marginally better than before. Any alignment question has also evaporated. Still has winter tires on, so ride may clean up a bit more when I swap those out seasonally. I only did rears given both the definite need there, and that fronts require the whole spring disassembly routine.
Nice, and at only $50 per shock, sounds easy to install. Audi must have hired an American engineer to design rear shock attachment, as a German engineer would have made it extremely difficult to remove/reinstall!
Old 03-16-2018, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Bob so true but then we have to hold the American responsible for making them out of some kind of aluminium/pot metal.Up here in Quebec, more often than not the rear shocks, Sachs, usually outlast the mounts and we have some rugged roads.They make a pretty durable shock.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going thru rear shocks on my wife's '15 Q5 right now - both rears are leaking at 85,000 miles. Planning to install the Bilstein B6 (4600) shocks on the rear, as well as new top mounts. From all I've found, the factory doesn't suggest but states to replace the upper AND lower bolts when the shock is serviced. Waiting on those last parts now (be in Monday) before I knock it out. First time in 30+ years of vehicle work on countless cars and trucks where the manufacturer states to replace the bolts.

Did you replace the mounting bolts?

Any thoughts on why (other than being Audi) the factory requires it? They aren't really torqued hard, and not close to torque to yield. Simply CYA?

As an aside, when I stopped at the dealer to pick up the bolts, they didn't have them in stock. Thought it was strange and asked about what their service techs did when replacing shocks. Got a blank stare. Showed him the factory service page stating replace, and his response was "we must not replace many shocks here..." Reinforced why I do the work myself.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber91
Going thru rear shocks on my wife's '15 Q5 right now - both rears are leaking at 85,000 miles. Planning to install the Bilstein B6 (4600) shocks on the rear, as well as new top mounts. From all I've found, the factory doesn't suggest but states to replace the upper AND lower bolts when the shock is serviced. Waiting on those last parts now (be in Monday) before I knock it out. First time in 30+ years of vehicle work on countless cars and trucks where the manufacturer states to replace the bolts.

Did you replace the mounting bolts?

Any thoughts on why (other than being Audi) the factory requires it? They aren't really torqued hard, and not close to torque to yield. Simply CYA?

As an aside, when I stopped at the dealer to pick up the bolts, they didn't have them in stock. Thought it was strange and asked about what their service techs did when replacing shocks. Got a blank stare. Showed him the factory service page stating replace, and his response was "we must not replace many shocks here..." Reinforced why I do the work myself.
Yes, actually I did replace the bolts. I typically do for any suspension or brake bolt or nut, and they are not particularly expensive. The parts apparently are in common with the B8 A4Q, so even odder they didn't have them. Likewise, I ended up w/ the B6 Bilsteins.

The reason for the bolt change varies. Most of the bolts have a coating on them (often green looking tinge) that seems to be a combo anticorrosion treatment and lock tite of sorts. Some have pre applied locktite. Either wear off when loosened, though in practice you can re lock tite if in a pinch. Many suspension nuts are a self locking type, which can lose some of their grip power with reuse; in practice I have not seen them get sloppy back in my younger and cheaper days until more like half a dozen uses. Finally, some are stretch bolts specifically designed as single use. I suspect the lower ones may be a stretch type, since the spec was a certain # of ft pounds, and then turn yet more measured in degrees. It did take a lot of final force on those lowers to meet spec, with new bolts.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-16-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Understand completely on TTY. Retired materials engineer from the aerospace engine industry. Just surprised that they were, especially after hearing from the local dealer that they don't stock the parts as they don't use them often.

You weren't kidding about about the force to meet specs on the lowers. Spend a couple days a year working on farm equipment and it took getting out the big equipment tools to load the bolts while the car was on the ground.... Wonder why Audi didn't spec a stronger class bolt with thread locker?

Thanks for the help!